Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Pinnacle electric problem

We have 36FBTS 2015. We are not electricians! plugged into 50 amp w a surge protector. We are getting weird electric stuff happening. Different parts of the trailer get power then lose power. For example the island has no power and the AC works, then they go out. Same for some plugs in upstairs bath and bedroom. Also the bedroom plugs and tv work and then don't work.
I need to add that we have solar powering batteries for refer. That indicator shows orange meaning the frig is working off battery and not electricity. This happened once before and dealer replaced the entire fuse panel. We checked all fuses and they are ok.
We also checked the GFCI in downstairs bath and it tripped a few times. Now the buttons won't reset at all. We are taking it for warranty in a few weeks but was wondering if there is anything we can do now.
One more thing...Last week we had our dealer install a satellite dish on the roof but a part needs to be replaced. When he did this installation could he have done something to the electric systems?
Wall by the control panel for the lights sort of smells like like electric.
Any help appreciated.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #2

Sounds like a loose connection in the panel.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Update electric problem

So we were just sitting outside and I saw smoke coming from the trailer. The fuse panel was smoking! We unplugged from 50amp. Taking it to dealer tomorrow. Just glad we were at campsite. We delayed going to dinner.
bethcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
BCK

Wow! Good thing you caught that.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethcb View Post
We have 36FBTS 2015. We are not electricians! plugged into 50 amp w a surge protector. We are getting weird electric stuff happening. Different parts of the trailer get power then lose power. For example the island has no power and the AC works, then they go out. Same for some plugs in upstairs bath and bedroom. Also the bedroom plugs and tv work and then don't work.
I need to add that we have solar powering batteries for refer. That indicator shows orange meaning the frig is working off battery and not electricity. This happened once before and dealer replaced the entire fuse panel. We checked all fuses and they are ok.
We also checked the GFCI in downstairs bath and it tripped a few times. Now the buttons won't reset at all. We are taking it for warranty in a few weeks but was wondering if there is anything we can do now.
One more thing...Last week we had our dealer install a satellite dish on the roof but a part needs to be replaced. When he did this installation could he have done something to the electric systems?
Wall by the control panel for the lights sort of smells like like electric.
Any help appreciated.
I suggest that you all take down the wall in the basement and check your transfer switch. The wires on my pinnacle had no box connectors and the insulation was cut by through due to vibration. The red wire from generator was laying on the coil wire. This was a fire trap waiting to happen.
Raugustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #6

Thanks for info. I will call my dealer now, as I have already dropped off the trailer.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:41 AM   #7

U guys got lucky. Imagine if that was in the middle of the night. After reading this I am gonna add a smoke detector behind the basement wall
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #8

Good idea. I think I will add a smoke detector right above the fuse panel. That where the smoke was thickest.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

I already added a combo detector in the bedroom and a third CO detector since the generator exhaust is just below the bedroom slide. I talked to Jayco about why they put it there, no real good reply. Let us know what exactly the cause was when the dealer looks at it. WOW THAT IS SCARY
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

UPDATE:
We took the Pinnacle to dealer 2 weeks ago. They just determined it was the 12V Convertor. Then said they had to order the part from Jayco (we are in SCal) and it could be a while to get it fixed. Problem is we need the Pinnacle back in a couple days for our 2-3 month trip. They suggested I call Jayco directly since only the customer can get them to expedite repairs.
Spoke to Jayco this am and they authorized our dealer to source the convertor locally. Our dealer called and is working on it right now and we are hoping to pick it up in 1-2 days. The other warranty work will have to wait until the fall, but this was a mandatory repair.
BTW, the dealer also said that they would locally source our new GoPower panel which died a while ago. We were willing to wait on that repair, but they will fix that too.
Jayco customer service was awesome and no-hassle. I learned that if there is really a urgent need to get a part, to contact them directly. I don't recommend abusing this service, but sure good to know for the future!
Old 06-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethcb View Post
Jayco customer service was awesome and no-hassle. I learned that if there is really a urgent need to get a part, to contact them directly. I don't recommend abusing this service, but sure good to know for the future!

Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Gave up calling factory and called inverter co they said had some issues gave me info to get replacement great co did not process as Jayco was picking up unit to bring back for issues that was in may I asked about was told residentials needed larger unit so they put one in and the batteries were wired wrong at dealer can't tell you if that worked as unit is still there waiting to here when done
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Factory told me there is no support on our 2015 pinnacle to hold satellite in place and not install maybe you can send photo to see if wiring is near new sat to factory
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote