Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #1

Pinnacle leaning

On our first trip out this year, I noticed the trailer had a slight lean to the drivers side, you can see it in the rearview mirror. We had the fresh water tank full and reloaded the refrigerator with everything so I thought it might have been that. After camping I made sure that all of the tanks were empty and I parked on level spot and measured a 1" difference to the top of the bed rails on my truck.
I took it back to the dealer for a couple of repairs along with that, they said it might be a shackle issue. When I called to check on it they said they couldn't find anything. I asked them to reach out to Jayco for advice on this as its a serious problem in my mind.
We probably don't have a thousand miles on this and it hasn't been anywhere with bad roads. I'm on my second year and want them to take care of whatever is causing the problem, I'm hoping its not a frame issue.
Has anyone else had a problem like this?
Thanks
Chris
Past Travel Trailers:2003 Flagstaff 25LB, 1993 Terry 35V, 1982 Serro Scotty 18', 1976 Dutch Craft 25', 1972 Banner 18'
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

It sounds like my Pinnacle. My suspension springs were bad (made in China) and a recall was issued. While on a two month trip one spring broke. They replaced all Springs with heavier springs. Check with Jayco about the recall. Your safety could be in peril.
Anazeteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anazeteo View Post
It sounds like my Pinnacle. My suspension springs were bad (made in China) and a recall was issued. While on a two month trip one spring broke. They replaced all Springs with heavier springs. Check with Jayco about the recall. Your safety could be in peril.
What year is your Pinnacle and do you still have the recall notice number?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:32 AM   #4

The year is a 2017. I don’t have the paperwork any more. You should have received a National recall letter from Jayco. They are required to fix the problem for free. I call Jayco and investigate your specific model and year.

My Pinnacle suspension spring actually broke in Wyoming while on a trip. The lean was extreme and I was fortunate not to tip over. You need to take this seriously if you have faulty suspension Springs.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
What year is your Pinnacle and do you still have the recall notice number?
I called the shop where my Pinnacle was repaired and they gave me the recall #. I’m not sure if it is the same for all but here it is: 19–V-702.

I hope this will help you!
Old 07-13-2020, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anazeteo View Post
I called the shop where my Pinnacle was repaired and they gave me the recall #. I’m not sure if it is the same for all but here it is: 19–V-702.

I hope this will help you!
Only applied to production dates MAY 03, 2016 - MAY 01, 2017
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:55 AM   #7

Look in the wheel well and see if the tires are bottoming out on the bottom of the slide floor. That if how I found my problem. Now I have new springs and bump stops on the axels. We just returned home from a 400 mile trip and you can see were the bump stops hit the frame.
albirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:52 PM   #8

Well the dealer said they couldn't find anything, they took measurements and say nothing is wrong that they can find? They did say there is no safety issue currently.
Its unlevel by an inch and it wasn't before, I don't see signs of the tires having rubbed on the slide floor right now.
I needed to take the trailer so we can use it this weekend and I told my service rep that I'm not letting this go and we will revisit this afterwards.
I'm planning on a call to Jayco to see if they can offer any suggestions, and get my concerns out that it's not normal and something needs attention.
What has anyone experienced when reaching out to Jayco with an issue like this?
Thanks
Chris
Past Travel Trailers:2003 Flagstaff 25LB, 1993 Terry 35V, 1982 Serro Scotty 18', 1976 Dutch Craft 25', 1972 Banner 18'
Old 07-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #9

When we did the Escapee's SmartWeigh with axle-by-axle, plus left and right weighing of TV and trailer, we found the kitchen/ Driver's side of the rig heavier by almost 1,200 lbs. I didn't think of it at the time, but your post has me wondering what I would have found with a carpenter's level on the side of the rig. Ours is in the shop right now for sidewall crack repair, otherwise I'd check it out.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #10

Ours was leaning too but it was because the right front leg was going out. We noticed it last year & said something where we store the unit & they thought it was because the ground was slopping. We were also having issues with the auto-level. Just another thought.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #11

Sadly I had 5 months of negotiating with Jayco over my repair. They had to approve the work, send paperwork, order parts, ship parts, do work, etc. Since Thor bought Jayco the customer service has disappeared. I was put on hold for long periods of time, sometimes dropped, forwarded to other representatives and told they would “get back with me” which they seldom did. I finally got tired of being mistreated and became the squeaky wheel. To their credit the parts were slow due to the COVID19 issue.
This is my advice: keep a log of all correspondence, mail, email or phone calls. Write the date, the time, name of representative you talked with, the conversation and when they will get back with you. Be forceful and hold them accountable. They are not good at service. Best wishes!
Old 07-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Ours was leaning too but it was because the right front leg was going out. We noticed it last year & said something where we store the unit & they thought it was because the ground was slopping. We were also having issues with the auto-level. Just another thought.
Mine is when it's hooked up to the truck and the jacks are retracted. I have a 1" difference from the bottom of the overhang to the top of the bed rails side to side.
Its clearly visible when I look in the rear view mirror, and I know its there so I tend to keep looking at it getting more aggravated.
I called customer service, talked to someone after only a 10 minute wait, he opened a case for me and said I would hear from someone on that team in 24-48 hours.
Good to know about documenting everything, I'll have to do that going forward.
Thanks, Chris
Old 07-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #13

Pictures

Wanted to post pictures to help explain, I sent these to the dealer showing the trailer lean and I was in a level parking lot.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Driver side.jpg   trailer passenger side.jpg   trailer lean.jpg   Truck trailer level in lot.jpg  
Old 07-16-2020, 04:16 AM   #14

Have you measured from the frame to the ground to see if it is the same from front to back??
Old 07-16-2020, 05:03 AM   #15

Have you placed a 4' level on the pin box with just the front jacks down?? Something looks different from one side to the other but it might be the camera angle also. I would park on level ground with the front jacks down and measure from the front to the back. Maybe the pin box is not welded in square. I would get all off the measurement I could on my own and then take it back so you can show them were the problem is located. I am a fabricator by trade and looking at some of the welds on these rigs is a little scary.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:49 AM   #16

After I posted the pictures last night I had the thought about measuring the frame to the ground to see what those numbers are and if the rear dimensions are the same and maybe only the front is leaning. On the way home from camping this weekend the plan is to stop and get measurements for all of that, then I can better describe the issue to Jayco.
It wasn't like this last year, my concern is if its something up with the pin box, springs are an easy change, the frame not so much.
Thanks
Chris
Old 07-17-2020, 04:13 AM   #17

I would agree with Angus on the driver side being heavier. With the frig, stove, inside storage and then all of the blocks and heavy STUFF I think I need is on that side in the outside storage. I looked under mine when we returned last weekend and you could see were the bump stops hit the bottom of the frame with the new 8000# springs installed.
Make sure you get the measurement from the bottom of the frame to the top of the axels also that will tell what the spring sag will be. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #18

I would find a level parking lot using a level and verify that then I would measure my wheel wells on my truck both sides to make sure they are the same. Then I would measure the frame of the trailer at exactly the same distance back from the hitch on both sides in at least 2 spots before the tires and 2 spots after the tires... then I would remove the trailer from the truck (just pull it forward 6") and then remeasure the truck.

I don't know if you can measure the 5th wheel hitch but if you can I would also do that loaded and unloaded and side to side...

I would then take the level to the trailer and put it on the floor inside and see if it matches up to the level of the parking lot...

I would also check the level of the truck bed at the same time...

I would also get under the trailer and measure the distance from the axle to the frame on both axles on both sides...

Then you have enough data points to determine if it is the trailer or not...

Hopefully you can narrow it down to where it is eliminating your truck from the equation...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #19

I was thinking could it be your truck since the rear of the camper is good?
gharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrison View Post
I was thinking could it be your truck since the rear of the camper is good?
X2. May not show up empty but with some weight maybe????
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote