Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2020, 10:38 PM   #1

Pinnacle or NorthPoint?

Both of these Brands have the mid-bunk / Den that is the attribute we are seeking for our next 5er. The Pinnacle MDQS and the NorthPoint RLBH floorplans are the specific units. But my question is around the structural differences.
Yes, the obvious spec differences are the 102" width and 13'6" height. But what else is different between the brands - except price and maybe the quality of the cabinetry.
$12K difference is a lot; but if there is something significant then we would sink that into this investment.

[Yes, I did search the forum for this question - did not find it. Sorry if I missed it in my search.]

We care because we have become very accustomed to so rather high-quality 5ers in our last 3 manufacturers. You get what you pay for is generally the attitude we take in this investment.
TouringRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:43 PM   #2

When we bought ours in 2018 the largest difference was the cabinets and wide body. The height was the same. There were also small nuances like the NP had the extra fold bunk that folds out and cabinet layout in the bunk room of the 377 was better.

For us, the cabinets and wide body couldn't justify the cost difference. Weight is also a consideration as the Pinnacle was heavier. I've been in several Pinnacles and they are nice but I wouldn't change a thing. We really love our NP 377. I'd take that extra 12k and invest it somewhere else.
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:09 AM   #3

x2
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

Well I'll put out the vote for Pinnacle if you can get a great deal on one to close that price difference some. We only weekend camp but if we were in it full time I would prefer the little bit of extra room and finishing touches that come with the Pinnacle. My wife said when we were shopping "why did you show me the really nice one when we can't afford it, now I really like that one".
But our dealer got us in the Pinnacle for around $5000 more than another dealers price on a North Point. Of course these are just my opinions, your results may vary.
Chris
Past Travel Trailers:2003 Flagstaff 25LB, 1993 Terry 35V, 1982 Serro Scotty 18', 1976 Dutch Craft 25', 1972 Banner 18'
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:21 PM   #5

Dido, go big or stay at home.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #6

Wide Body, real wood on the cabinet face frames and the solar and night MDC shades played a big part in our decision. Our opinion was that the Pinnacle interior was nicer in overall appearance and quality. We spend 3-4 months at a time in ours and believe me the extra width does make a difference.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:35 AM   #7

We went with the Pinnacle for a few reasons. The wide body makes a difference especially in the shower. Ours has a larger shower than we have at home.
The real wood cabinets and the overall feel of the Pinnacle.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:00 AM   #8

I believe the Pinnacle's are full body paint vs the Northpoint's having vinyl graphics.
We went with the Northpoint because the Pinnacle didn't have the floor plan and options we wanted.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:37 AM   #9

Pinnacle full paint is an option - standard graphics are vinyl.
The price difference after negotiation was pretty small so the Pinnacle followed us home - well, it is home so we were looking from that angle.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #10

X2 on the Pinnacle! We really love the space with the wide body and the cabinets. We bought our 2016 in January 2017 and negotiated a great deal. This is first RV I have owned that feels more like a home than an RV. I have zero regrets!

RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #11

How often are you annoyed that while traveling you do not have access to the fridge without opening up the slides a little?
Do you even have occasions that you are prevented from opening the slides for that accessibility?

DW is the one that is pretty determined that we need to stick with the NorthPoint for that fridge accessiblity while we travel. She fixes my lunch and snacks - so I try to be wise and respect that consideration.

Thanks for the feedback already given.
TouringRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #12

Access to the fridge and bathroom while traveling has always been important to us. Both of our previous 5ers allowed that. This one we can access the fridge side but not the freezer. We always have a small cooler with ice when we travel. We also have access to one side of the pantry when the slide is closed. We keep stuff on that side that we would need when we stop for lunch, etc.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #13

I have never found that we need to get in the bathroom or fridge while on the road. Our Pinnacle has the front living floor plan and the bathroom is accessible through the rear entry door. To solve the fridge access, we have a cooler that can be plugged into a 12v port in the truck. Since slideouts can malfunction, heaven forbid, I would rather not have something go wrong with a slideout while on the road.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:49 PM   #14

We don't usually use our bathroom when we are traveling. We usually use rest areas or truck stops. The most recent exception however was our trip back to Michigan from Florida a week ago. Used the bathroom in our rig exclusively during the four day trip home for obvious reasons. I don't carry fresh water in the tank but always have a jug or two of water in the bathroom just incase. Booked campgrounds online or over the phone and paid the same way. Had almost no interaction with anyone on that trip. Have had to run back and use the bathroom on occasion in the past when traffic was at a dead stop for hours due to accidents on the interstate. As I said in a previous post we have had 5ers since 2001 and we could access the kitchen and bath on all of them without opening the slides. Just our personal choice.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #15

37mdqs

We went with pinnacle wife saw pinnacle and that was that . The wood around mid den, The shower was the other reason . Walk in residential shower! There are a lot of other reasons that you don't see . Nothing against north point, thats a nice unit also. Waiting for ours to be built . Plant is to open Monday the 13th according to dealer . Ours was due in first week in may. Don't know when she will arrive now . Good luck on which ever you chose. You cant go wrong either way!
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #16

North Point 383FKWS

We picked up our unit about a month ago and to be honest I’m not sure what people are talking about in regards to the residential shower difference. They both had the exact same shower. We looked at both the Pinnacle and the North Point, and other than the wide body we did not see the difference other than the North Point had the best floor plan for us. With all the slide outs in we have access to the kitchen, bathroom and even the ability to sleep in the king size bed. The kitchen was the largest in the 5th wheel division including a dining area. Up to this point we have had Class A DP , all said and done, other than the wife not having access to everything while going down the road, it’s just as good as the DP if not better. By the way the North Point we have no problem using our stock 2018 Ram 3500 SRW to pull it. No sag but only getting 10.5 miles to the gallon going from Illinois to Montana.
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #17

We went with the 377rlbh. Have no regrets. There are also structural differences in the pinnacle like the frame. The most common problems we have had have to do with appliances and furniture. They are the same with both unit's. The other thing to consider is the northpoint I was able to keep my single rear wheel 1 ton to pull it, the pinnacle no way. Need DRW to pull it safely. The other difference is I believe the pinnacle has the hydraulic leveling system where the northpoint is the electric leveling system. I actually prefer the electric system. For 2020 I think they both have the hydraulic system. Structurally we have had no problems the rv seems to be pretty solid built. It tows great. I also couldn't justify the extra cost of the pinnacle. If you are a full timer it may be worth the extra cost. Both unit's are warranted for full time use. Ultimately I think it really is more about personal preference between the 2 brands. For 2020 the northpoint is actually ranked in the top 5 for build quality. This will help with retaining value.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Had the front living Pinnacle fro a spell, loved it. Only reason went to the NP was size. We found it very difficult to get into a lot of stat and national parks with the 42' length of the Pinnacle vs. 38' North Point. If full timing or not doing a lot of boon-docking, go for the luxury of the Pinnacle.

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #19

3 of pinnacle floor plans have residential shower. See inclosed pic.
Attached Thumbnails
AB375A93-2036-4E0F-9BBD-391EB53E03C6.jpg  
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringRetirees View Post
Both of these Brands have the mid-bunk / Den that is the attribute we are seeking for our next 5er. The Pinnacle MDQS and the NorthPoint RLBH floorplans are the specific units. But my question is around the structural differences.
Yes, the obvious spec differences are the 102" width and 13'6" height. But what else is different between the brands - except price and maybe the quality of the cabinetry.
$12K difference is a lot; but if there is something significant then we would sink that into this investment.

[Yes, I did search the forum for this question - did not find it. Sorry if I missed it in my search.]

We care because we have become very accustomed to so rather high-quality 5ers in our last 3 manufacturers. You get what you pay for is generally the attitude we take in this investment.
---------------------------

We have a 2020 38' Pinnacle FLWS. This bad boy has 6 slide outs. It is my castle on wheels! I love everything about it. Researched a lot before buying it and the structural integrity was a concern. Jayco is ahead of the curve on this! Don't take my word for it, here are some specs off the manufacturers web page:

https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth...uction-detail/
Winnabego Adventurer
Coachman Mirada
Jayco Pinnacle 5W
Motorhommie is offline   Reply With Quote