Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #1

Pinnacle refrigerator

Ordered a new Pinnacle 36 ssws and it was delivered to the dealer. Unfortunately Jayco has replaced the nice side-by-side fridge shown in their brochure that had through the door ice and water with a four door model that does NOT have that through the door ice and water. WT..... in addition the fridge is 19.4 cuft while the specs say it’s supposed to be a 21.4 cift. The size is no big deal but the through the door water and ice IS a big deal.
Why would anyone buy there main fridge without that capability? I haven’t had to open the freezer door to scoop out some ice in over 30 years.
At this point I do t even know if you could order it with a TTD ice and water fridge.
Disappointed...
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #2

They probably couldn't get the normal fridge as is the problem even with many appliance stores. I know it doesn't help your situation, but that is also why JAYCO and all manufacturers have the same disclaimer on their web sites and brochures.

All information on this website is the latest available at the time of publication approval. Jayco reserves the right to make changes and to discontinue models without notice or obligation.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:04 PM   #3

Just checking...sounds like you talking about a residential fridge pictured in the brochure and and RV fridge you see in the unit.
They aren’t even close to being the same refrigerator.
So if you ordered the residential and received the rv model, then you have a major complaint.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Just checking...sounds like you talking about a residential fridge pictured in the brochure and and RV fridge you see in the unit.
They aren’t even close to being the same refrigerator.
So if you ordered the residential and received the rv model, then you have a major complaint.
The RV fridge is only 18 cu/ft, he said he has a 19.4 which Whirlpool makes in a 4 door counter depth. Counter depth is what they normally use.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The RV fridge is only 18 cu/ft, he said he has a 19.4 which Whirlpool makes in a 4 door counter depth. Counter depth is what they normally use.
It’s hard enough keeping 2 doors closed. Lol.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
It’s hard enough keeping 2 doors closed. Lol.
We had a SAMSUNG French Door and the latch they used worked great on the fridge doors and the freezer drawer. I don't understand why they quit using it.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
snip...
Why would anyone buy there main fridge without that capability? I haven’t had to open the freezer door to scoop out some ice in over 30 years.
At this point I do t even know if you could order it with a TTD ice and water fridge. S#@*!
Disappointed...
After the 1st year of using our unit (she loved it then) and then winterizing the fridge in our unit, DW said no more. She has several ice trays she uses or she will go up & buy a bag of ice if she needs more.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
After the 1st year of using our unit (she loved it then) and then winterizing the fridge in our unit, DW said no more. She has several ice trays she uses or she will go up & buy a bag of ice if she needs more.
Exactly. I replaced the original Norcold rv refrigerator with a Haier residential last year, and specifically choose the Haier because it did not have an ice maker. I use the Eagle several times in winter, and must winterize all water lines after each trip. The ice maker just is another water line that is difficult to winterize. I empty our home refrigerator of ice on the way out of town, and will buy a bag if I ever run out. So far, and a couple of trips that last 10-14 days, I've never had to purchase a bag.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 AM   #9

We came from the motorhome world, 2 years seasonal and 6 years full time. I found winterizing the ice maker those two times to be simple and easy. I blew the ice make lines out instead of flushing with antifreeze. Antifreeze everywhere else.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
We came from the motorhome world, 2 years seasonal and 6 years full time. I found winterizing the ice maker those two times to be simple and easy. I blew the ice make lines out instead of flushing with antifreeze. Antifreeze everywhere else.
Maybe because it was our 1st & only year but it took us close to an hour to "wipe" it out per instructions. No antifreeze allowed in the unit.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #11

Instructions should have said to shut water off to ice maker a day or two before winterizing. After it runs through a couple of cycles there is practically no water left in the trays.
Old 03-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #12

No, they are both residential fridges, both are Whirlpool brand. The one n our unit doesn’t have the through the door ice and water.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #13

We have the Fridge in our Pinnacle with the Ice and water on the door and never use it. As a matter of fact we purposely never tuned the water on for it. That's just one more thing to deal with when winterizing . We do have a portable ice maker that was under $100 and that works great. Use bottled water for drinking.

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:15 PM   #14

Hi I received my brand new Pinnacle 2021 with-out the ice maker. Jayco don’t put anymore fridge with ice maker. They had to many complaint with the winterizing. We payed for people who don’t take care of their FW.
RobertQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:29 PM   #15

Wow really.. first off people need to read instructions. DO NOT EVER put antifreeze in your residential fridge. Just don't do it. The book that comes with the fridge has it in massive bold letters "DO NOT PUT ANTIFREEZE IN YOUR FRIDGE". I leave my rv in North Eastern Oregon all year Temps well believe zero most of the winter. Now jayco basically couldn't have made it much easier well I guess they could have. But honestly there is a valve under the kitchen sink you trun that off. Then drain as much water from the system by holding your cup under the water fill. Then there is a low point drain just for the fridge. You open that valve. Then you pull the water filter out and again hold your cup under the cup fill. Dump the ice out of the tray and turn the ice maker off. Leave your low point drain open. Done..... if there is any water left in the system it will slowly drip out and I leave the low point for the fridge open all winter that way if what little water is still in the system freezes it won't crack the water line water expands when freezing that's the issue... never had a problem with mine. If your proactive and do this before it starts to freeze every night you should be fine. I don't use antifreeze is my fresh water system ever.. I put some in the P traps and the black and gray tanks to keep the rubber in the valve wet and stop any residential water from freezing. Again be proactive and its never been an issue in 15 years for me.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
Wow really.. first off people need to read instructions. DO NOT EVER put antifreeze in your residential fridge. Just don't do it. The book that comes with the fridge has it in massive bold letters "DO NOT PUT ANTIFREEZE IN YOUR FRIDGE".
Read instructions? Who does that...

I'm with you, never did use antifreeze in the ice-maker.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
We have the Fridge in our Pinnacle with the Ice and water on the door and never use it. As a matter of fact we purposely never tuned the water on for it. That's just one more thing to deal with when winterizing . We do have a portable ice maker that was under $100 and that works great. Use bottled water for drinking.
You need to trade fridges
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #18

My Pinnacle has the water and Ice through the door. In the aftermath of the Texas nightmare this winter, the ONLY line that froze and busted was the one going to the refrigerator for it. Shut it off and will just use ice trays.
crmillsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
I'm with you on this...2019 model and never used the icemaker... a $1.39 for a bag of ice... not worth the hassle to me!
mikensue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #20

Wow, I never knew so many people don’t use ice/water through the door. I’ve had and used exclusively that option for over thirty years in my homes. I made sure both my motorhome refrigerators were so equipped. Winterizing the ice maker is super simple if done properly.
I wrote Jayco and they won’t change it out. They said they had the right change products without notification. I guess I’ll call Terrytown RV and see how much it would cost to change it out at my cost. I don’t pick the 36ssws up until mid May so there would be plenty of time if the cost is reasonable. If not I can still live with it just as it came.