Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #1

Pinnacle Roof Mount Satellite Dish Install

Planning on installing a roof mounted satellite dish. Looking for advise from anyone that has done this.

5th Wheel is a 2021 Pinnacle 32RLTS.

Questions:
- Where should I position the dish on the roof
- Where should I run the wire through the roof
- How do I get the signal to the outside TV
- Plan to mount the receiver above the TV
- How do I get the HDMI cable back to the TV/Radio
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #2

Are you going to mount a Winegard Trav'ler? I was a bit disappointed when I found out Jayco does not provide a reinforced pre-wired spot on the roof for mounting one like our previous fifth wheel had. My dealer said they could do it but wasn't enthusiastic about it. I finally decided to get a couple of portable dishes, a Pathway X2 for the living area and a Tailgater for the bedroom. Less than half the cost of a Trav'ler plus I can move them where needed to get a signal. We had occasional issues with trees with the Trav'ler on our previous fifth wheel. The downside is the portables are less versatile when it comes to recording, if you have that set up, and will only work with a Wally type receiver.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
Are you going to mount a Winegard Trav'ler? I was a bit disappointed when I found out Jayco does not provide a reinforced pre-wired spot on the roof for mounting one like our previous fifth wheel had. My dealer said they could do it but wasn't enthusiastic about it. I finally decided to get a couple of portable dishes, a Pathway X2 for the living area and a Tailgater for the bedroom. Less than half the cost of a Trav'ler plus I can move them where needed to get a signal. We had occasional issues with trees with the Trav'ler on our previous fifth wheel. The downside is the portables are less versatile when it comes to recording, if you have that set up, and will only work with a Wally type receiver.

Hey F350guy, so you have two antenna one for your bedroom and the other for your living area, I was thinking about get another antenna setup for my bedroom.

I have the Tailgater pro 2 with the two port but one play very well but the other for the bedroom is spotty so this is why I was thinking about getting another one for the bedroom.

I do have two receiver so all I would need is a separate antenna for that, what you think is that reasonable?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:17 PM   #4

The problem with a portable is while some of them do have 2 ports for 2 tv's you are limited to watching shows on the same satellite. I know Dish has their programming spread across 3 satellites so I knew the wife would not be happy if she was watching Chip and Joanna on HGTV in the bedroom and I switched to Major League Fishing on the Outdoor channel. The Pathway X2 works great and so does the Tailgater. I bought used like new on Amazon which will save a few bucks.

I did do direct wire hookups for both tv's to avoid the issues than sometimes come with using the ones provided in the wet bay. I was able to run a cable from the curb side of the storage bay directly to the Wally in the bedroom using one of those outside ports like I think I remember you putting on the outside of yours for your main tv. For the living room tv I took the radio antenna off and replaced it with the same connector you used. I fished a cable directly from it to the Wally for the living room tv. The Tailgater types are a little more sensitive to power drops with longer cable runs and more connectors. I've used 50 foot cables with both without issue.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
The problem with a portable is while some of them do have 2 ports for 2 tv's you are limited to watching shows on the same satellite. I know Dish has their programming spread across 3 satellites so I knew the wife would not be happy if she was watching Chip and Joanna on HGTV in the bedroom and I switched to Major League Fishing on the Outdoor channel. The Pathway X2 works great and so does the Tailgater. I bought used like new on Amazon which will save a few bucks.

I did do direct wire hookups for both tv's to avoid the issues than sometimes come with using the ones provided in the wet bay. I was able to run a cable from the curb side of the storage bay directly to the Wally in the bedroom using one of those outside ports like I think I remember you putting on the outside of yours for your main tv. For the living room tv I took the radio antenna off and replaced it with the same connector you used. I fished a cable directly from it to the Wally for the living room tv. The Tailgater types are a little more sensitive to power drops with longer cable runs and more connectors. I've used 50 foot cables with both without issue.
Okay, I got you now and this is very helpful I guess that I need to get two 50’ cable for mines also. The one thing I run into sometime and I think that I might have to rethink it is that sometimes I need to route my cable far from my 5th wheel so I can get a signal.

Thank you, you have giving me a good idea, I haven’t thought about that I can go to Amazon my go to place to order antenna but I am in the same situation that you are in.

My wife love HGTV and Western shows the old kind and I like future show like Star Trek and a little monsters, lol. So if I go to Amazon and get another antenna I should be go to go, awesome and thanks.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #6

Oh, so which Tailgater antenna do you have?
Old 01-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #7

I have the Playmaker PL-7000R. It is the single hookup version.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:50 PM   #8

Okay, I think that those are a little cheaper, I can do that.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #9

I am using the Winegard G3 dish. I understand it can only lock into one satellite at a time. Will use 2 receivers. One in the family room. One in the bedroom. Purchased an Actiontec wireless HDMI extender to wirelessly connect the outside tv to the bedroom tv. My thought, my wife is typically not in the bedroom when I am outside.

Found a cable routing path down from the roof next to the tank vent pipe. Need to remove a small cover in the bathroom, top shelf.

Was able to get a roof diagram and cable diagram from Jayco.

Main concern now, running into something when I drill through the roof. Unless I find better guidance. Plan to drill hole about 6 inch to the street side of the tank vent pipe that runs through the bathroom cabinet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roof Truss Position.pdf (403.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf Cable Routing.pdf (232.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 01-31-2021, 09:16 PM   #10

Made progress on dish install.

Family room TV, found easy path to pull wires from TV to overhead cabinet.

Added the dish receiver, HDMI switch, and a DVD player.

Replaced the TV with 50" Samsung.

Added a Sonos sound bar and sub. Removed the originally sub. The Sonos sound bar is mounted above the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
1 Cable.jpg   2 Cable.jpg   3 Comp.jpg   4 Sonos.jpg   5 Cable.jpg  

Old 01-31-2021, 09:19 PM   #11

Using drawings from Jayco, found easy path down for wires from roof to basement.

Two parts of the project still remain. Need to tie the dish power feed into the family room inverter. And, connect the bed room TV. Probably next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
6 Cable.jpg   7 Dish.jpg   8 Install.jpg  
Old 02-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Nice job. What is the trick for removing the TV from the lift?
Textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #13

Removing the TV is very easy.

One, raise the lift about 30%. Cut the tie straps and unplug the wires.

Two, slide the TV off the lift mechanism. Only gravity holds it in place. That and about 20" of travel. It did stick slightly as the bottom stop passed the top stop screws.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTC View Post
Removing the TV is very easy.

One, raise the lift about 30%. Cut the tie straps and unplug the wires.

Two, slide the TV off the lift mechanism. Only gravity holds it in place. That and about 20" of travel. It did stick slightly as the bottom stop passed the top stop screws.

So it only sits on there? I got to look harder at mine, looks to me like it is bolted to the lift...
Textman is offline   Reply With Quote