Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #21

Having owned both a 2016 North Point and now a 2017 Pinnacle, my vote goes for the Pinnacle. One difference which turned out to be very costly for me was the quality of the spring shackles. The shackles on the NP were way too light for the weight of the trailer. They had nylon bushings which disintegrated after 5000 miles of travel. This caused the bolt holes to distort and created wobble in the tires which destroyed all four of them. Of course this occurred while on a trip almost 1000 miles from home. The Pinnacle came with wet shackles by Mor Ryd. Much heavier duty. Also the tires on the Pinnacle were G rated unlike the E rating on the NP tires.

Jim
Old 10-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #22

My 2018 came with wet bolts and brass bushings with the MorRyde CRE3000 equalizer. Sounds like it might have changed since 2016. I have replaced the MorRydes with Dexter but the hardware from the factory was all the heavy duty stuff. Not like what you described on the 2016's.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3kirk View Post
My 2018 came with wet bolts and brass bushings with the MorRyde CRE3000 equalizer. Sounds like it might have changed since 2016. I have replaced the MorRydes with Dexter but the hardware from the factory was all the heavy duty stuff. Not like what you described on the 2016's.

Mine too. The NP and Pinnacle lines were getting very similar. In early build 2019s Jayco took off the metal skirting that wraps all the way to the frame (from the door forward). I had ordered a 2018 which was moved a 2019 model and did not like this change. Apparently many people disapproved of the change so Jayco started building them with it again. I was specifically told it was removed to help justify the cost difference between the two lines because they are too similar. Jayco sent me the sheetmetal for free.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #24

Pin weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
We looked at both when we bought and either would have worked for us. We just liked the finish work in the Pinnacle much better and the wider body gave it a roomier feel. We felt the extra cost was worth it.
Hopefully Jim or anybody else can answer this, what are your real world pin weights on the pinnacle 32rlts , we are very serious about ordering one, wanted to pull with a 2021 ram 3500 crew cab short bed with a 3800 pin rating, but may end up getting a ram 3500 crew cab long box, with approx 4000 lb pin ,do any of you pinnacle owners (32 rlts) have any input? Thank you John
treelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:27 PM   #25

You don’t say which trim of Ram. If you go with the Tradesman you will have the most payload but fewer bells and whistles
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #26

Treelog, maybe I can help. We make an annual pilgrimage to the Colorado Rockies every September. Last fall was the first with the Pinnacle. We stay for a full month so it was loaded with a closet full of winter and summer clothes, hiking stuff, a pantry and refrigerator full of food and about a half tank of fresh water. It will never have more stuff in it for any other trips we make. I weighed the truck alone with a full tank of fuel and then with the Pinnacle.

Pin weight: 3120
Weight on axles: 11,580
Total weight: 14,700

The brochure listed the hitch weight as 2445 so we gained 675 pounds. Besides the stuff we carry in the storage bay and fresh water being added to the weight there are a few other things that push ours up that you may or may not have. First, we changed standard MorRyde pin to a Reese Goose Box which added 60 pounds to the nose. Then we had a Splendide washer/dryer installed which is also right up front. We didn't like the standard mattress and exchanged it for a memory foam. It weighs more also but not sure how much. It all adds up.

Our truck has 4054 payload. I weighed my truck with just me in it. When I add in the wife, some food for the day, a couple of boxes of DEF and a few other things we are probably adding 250 to 300 pounds to the 3120 from the Pinnacle so I'm still good. I would think you would be fine with the short bed but I will say the ride with our long bed hooked up to the Pinnacle is the best of any combo we have ever owned and that has been a few.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Treelog, maybe I can help. We make an annual pilgrimage to the Colorado Rockies every September. Last fall was the first with the Pinnacle. We stay for a full month so it was loaded with a closet full of winter and summer clothes, hiking stuff, a pantry and refrigerator full of food and about a half tank of fresh water. It will never have more stuff in it for any other trips we make. I weighed the truck alone with a full tank of fuel and then with the Pinnacle.

The brochure listed the hitch weight as 2445 so we gained 675 pounds. Besides the stuff we carry in the storage bay and fresh water being added to the weight there are a few other things that push ours up that you may or may not have. First, we changed standard MorRyde pin to a Reese Goose Box which added 60 pounds to the nose. Then we had a Splendide washer/dryer installed which is also right up front. We didn't like the standard mattress and exchanged it for a memory foam. It weighs more also but not sure how much. It all adds up.

Our truck has 4054 payload. I weighed my truck with just me in it. When I add in the wife, some food for the day, a couple of boxes of DEF and a few other things we are probably adding 250 to 300 pounds to the 3120 from the Pinnacle so I'm still good. I would think you would be fine with the short bed but I will say the ride with our long bed hooked up to the Pinnacle is the best of any combo we have ever owned and that has been a few.

We pick up our 36FBTL next week, and my weights will be comparable to yours. We have the standard pin box, no washer and dryer, but loaded otherwise including an Onan Generator. It willo be just the bride and myself and 2 20 pound puppies, using the Andersen hitch. I am guessing around 15500 once loaded. We also got the long bed with just under 4000 pounds payload. it will be heavy but we should be ok. By the way, the Hydraulic brakes you recommended, arrived yesterday. Now to wait on the installer.
Rene
Old 08-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #28

Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
You don’t say which trim of Ram. If you go with the Tradesman you will have the most payload but fewer bells and whistles
Looking at Laramie trim they are running around 3750-3800 pin weight, I have been finding out pin weights by looking at new rams for sale, the ones that list there vin number , then going on ram website and typing in vin number giving the actual pin weight
Old 08-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #29

I kind of wish I had a short bed for ease of driving and parking. With Ford an F350 short bed, crew cab diesel in the higher level trims that I looked at had a payload of around 3300 pounds and a GVWR of 11,500. The long beds can have 12,400 GVWR in certain configurations which is why my Platinum has 4054 payload. I did look at GM when I bought and their payloads were better with the short beds but lacked one important feature. A must have for me was adaptive cruise which GM did not offer but Ford does so hence the Ford. If our local Ram dealer had a better reputation I would have looked at them.

Our prior truck was a 17 F350 dual and I was afraid the driving experience would be the same since the wheel bases are same as my single but it just isn't. Probably all in my head but this truck just seems to be easier to drive and park which is probably due to not having to be mindful of the wide rear end. My wife drives a Subaru Ascent and she prefers taking the truck on our longer solo trips. It rides amazingly well for a big truck. We recently drove it 722 miles one way to my sister-in-law's home in the Chicago burbs and got 21.7 mpg. That 10 speed transmission is a game changer.

One other thing I considered was the size of the fuel tank. Ours has a 48 gallon compared to a 34 in the short bed.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:13 PM   #30

Jim

Quote:

Jim, thank you for that
Old 08-03-2021, 09:12 PM   #31

treelog. When you say you are looking at new Rams and finding out pin weight, are you referring to payload on the door pillar sticker that also may be in the specs on line?

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by treelog View Post
Looking at Laramie trim they are running around 3750-3800 pin weight, I have been finding out pin weights by looking at new rams for sale, the ones that list there vin number , then going on ram website and typing in vin number giving the actual pin weight

Our 2021 Laramie 3500 SRW has a payload of 3963. That is the door sticker. It is well loaded and not missing much. I also have the 50Gal. fuel tank. The long bed makes a substantial difference on the payload.