Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

Pinnacle Winegard Traveler Slimline Installation

I did a self insulation of a Winegard Traveler DirecTV Slimline Satellite Dish on my Jay Flight. Following completion I used self leveling to seal areas where leaks could occur. It looked fine and I have not had any problems for the past 3 years.

I am in process of considering the purchase of a Pinnacle 5th wheel Jayco and would be installing a new Winegard Traveler HD Satellite dish. The Pinnacle description says "satellite ready". Does this mean the wires and connections minus the Winegard equipment are already in place? Previously I had to drill through roof on my travel trailer. Has anyone install this same Winegard system on a Pinnacle?
morrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:44 AM   #2

I have a '17 Pinnacle and the Wineguard HD dish. I can confirm for you that there are NO wires to the roof with the "satellite ready" package. All it means is that they have an outlet for a satellite hookup in the utility bay. I ran mine as follows:

1. Installed the dish on the roof and ran two (2) wires down to the basement BEHIND the utility bay.

2. Disconnected the wire from the back of the "Sat" port in the utility bay. This runs DIRECTLY to the living room TV.

3. Disconnected the splitter from the back of the utility dock that was on the AUX port. Two wires came out of the splitter - one to the bedroom, the other to the outside TV.

4. Connected all three wires to the Wineguard supplied splitter.

5. Mounted the control box in the basement near one of the doors and connected the control box and the power box as per Wineguard's instructions.

With this set-up I am able to watch any of the TV's simultaneously using multiple receivers on different channels - Just like at home. Works like a charm.
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

Thank you! Your background information and methodology you used for installation will no doubt prove to be invaluable. Appreciate your insight and process description.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 AM   #4

No problem. If you make the move and need some pics I can send them.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #5

Yes, the pics would be great. We did decide to make the purchase on a Pinnacle, and pics would provide a great visual instead of me starting from scratch. Thank you for your generous help.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:34 AM   #6

Ok. I'll be at the trailer early next week and I will take some pics for you. Which Pinnacle did you order?
Old 07-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

We purchased the Pinnacle 36FBTS.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Here are some pics from down below. I didm get a chance to get up on the roof yet to take some for you there.

The first pic is of the control box for the system. I mounted it there because it is easy to get to when I am setting up and there is no reason for it to be inside as once it is on...It's on.

Next pic is of the 3 cable/sat/aux hookups in the utility center. You will be disconnecting the 3 wires connected to the BACK of these inputs.

Then a pic of the access door. However, you will need to remove the entire bulkhead wall to do this install (Very easy).

Then a pic of the Wineguard splitter. The three cables coming out are to the Living room, bedroom, exterior TV. These were wired as follows from Jayco: 1 wire directly out of the "Sat" input to the LR TV. One wire out of the "Aux" input to a splitter which then had two wires outputting to the BR and Exterior TV. I removed the wires from the stock splitter and connected to the wine guard.
splitter.

next is a pic of the power inserter. Wiring is available on Wineguards site and is very easy.

I wil ltake pics of the roof but the dish is mounted right behind the front A/C and then the 2 wires come down the left side vent pipe and into the basement behind the bulkhead wall. Hope this helps. For reference, we have the 38 REFS.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-07-09 10.45.23 HDR.jpg   2017-07-09 10.45.26.jpg   2017-07-09 10.45.30.jpg   2017-07-09 10.45.44.jpg   2017-07-09 10.45.59.jpg  

Old 07-10-2017, 04:02 AM   #9

I have DirecTV and use a tripod and Slimline Dish. I have been doing this for over 7 years now and no issues at all. I also camp host and see a lot of campers with roof mounted sat systems that can't use them due to obstructions at their site, typically trees. My son in law has a Class A and has never been able to use his roof mounted dish except in his driveway.

If you typically camp in areas without trees I would agree a roof mounted automatic system would be great, but for me it wouldn't work most of the time.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #10

These are great pictures and will save me a lot of time. You obviously went to extra effort to get this and I certainly appreciate your diligence. There's nothing like photo to review and speed things up. Thank again for your advice and support, you are a good good guy!!

Morris Germain
Old 07-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #11

edatlanta,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but thanks for your reply.

You say you place your SlimLine on a tripod. As you well know the SlimLine is a fairly bulky dish to handle, much more that the standard portable dish. Is there a tripod made for this or did you adapt something that can carry the weight and stay balanced? This sounds like a good idea. If you have any photos, that would help, but any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2017, 04:15 PM   #12

edatlanta,

You say you place your SlimLine on a tripod. As you well know the SlimLine is a fairly bulky dish to handle, much more that the standard portable dish. Is there a tripod made for this or did you adapt something that can carry the weight and stay balanced? This sounds like a good idea. If you have any photos, that would help, but any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisg View Post
These are great pictures and will save me a lot of time. You obviously went to extra effort to get this and I certainly appreciate your diligence. There's nothing like photo to review and speed things up. Thank again for your advice and support, you are a good good guy!!

Morris Germain
My pleasure! If you have any questions during your installation just sent me a message.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisg View Post
edatlanta,

Thanks
Here is a picture of my dish/tripod. This picture was taken on 2-11-2011 so the longevity of the tripod is perfect and it is used 365 days/year since I full time.. The only problem I have ever had with the tripod was at Road Atlanta a few years back. We had a thunderstorm blow through one night and my neighbor's FastUp tent blew down and into my dish/tripod and broke one of the tripod parts. I ordered the part needed from the company I bought it from and had the part in two days. Check out TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod I have no connection with this company other than being a completely satisfied customer. One change I have made to my setup since this picture is I no longer use that cinder block as a center weight. I dropped it one day while setting up and broke it into even smaller pieces. I now use a plastic 5 gallon bucket and I put as much water as I think is needed depending on where I am and the expected wind. With 5 gallons of water it has not moved in 60 mph wind gusts. When setting up where I expect some high winds I extend the legs more and spread them out more than in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0254.jpg  

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Here is a picture of my dish/tripod. This picture was taken on 2-11-2011 so the longevity of the tripod is perfect and it is used 365 days/year since I full time.. The only problem I have ever had with the tripod was at Road Atlanta a few years back. We had a thunderstorm blow through one night and my neighbor's FastUp tent blew down and into my dish/tripod and broke one of the tripod parts. I ordered the part needed from the company I bought it from and had the part in two days. Check out TV4RV: Satellite - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV: satellite and Internet for RV - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod I have no connection with this company other than being a completely satisfied customer. One change I have made to my setup since this picture is I no longer use that cinder block as a center weight. I dropped it one day while setting up and broke it into even smaller pieces. I now use a plastic 5 gallon bucket and I put as much water as I think is needed depending on where I am and the expected wind. With 5 gallons of water it has not moved in 60 mph wind gusts. When setting up where I expect some high winds I extend the legs more and spread them out more than in this photo.
I have the exact same setup and can verify edatlanta's take on the tripod. Great setup!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
'13 Suntracker PB 22
Da Bud Man is offline   Reply With Quote