Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
mcfarmall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, West Michigan
Posts: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwiss View Post
I had a pizza stone for the last few years and it worked well as a heat defuser, however it recently broke while in use. It broke right along the line of the burner. I have tried tiles which also broke in use. I am now using a 10" Lodge cast iron round griddle that I hacksawed the handle off of. It seems to be working well.........I don't think it will break, but time will tell.
I could never bring myself to cause harm to Lodge cookware!! However, I would not hesitate to put the saw to a Harbor Freight rectangular cast iron griddle if need be.
__________________

__________________
2006 23B Hybrid with 10k round bar WDH
2011 F150 4x4 SCREW Ecoboost, Max Tow, Integrated TBC, 3.73 LS axle, Firestone Ride Rite airbags.
mcfarmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I could never bring myself to cause harm to Lodge cookware!! However, I would not hesitate to put the saw to a Harbor Freight rectangular cast iron griddle if need be.
X2. Love my Lodge DO`s and accessories.
__________________

__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzwiss View Post
I had a pizza stone for the last few years and it worked well as a heat defuser, however it recently broke while in use. It broke right along the line of the burner. I have tried tiles which also broke in use. I am now using a 10" Lodge cast iron round griddle that I hacksawed the handle off of. It seems to be working well.........I don't think it will break, but time will tell.
I am a former pampered chef consultant. You can't use plain cooking stones like this. They will eventually break. Many reports of them exploding. Those used for cooking need at least 3/4 of the area covered with your food when cooking. You need to get the smaller square stones specifically for this purpose. And yes, they do work. This is how stone/brick ovens work!
__________________

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
dzwiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by campingdog View Post
I am a former pampered chef consultant. You can't use plain cooking stones like this. They will eventually break. Many reports of them exploding. Those used for cooking need at least 3/4 of the area covered with your food when cooking. You need to get the smaller square stones specifically for this purpose. And yes, they do work. This is how stone/brick ovens work!
Before pizza stones came into vogue I used standard fire bricks like the ones used to build a fire place in my oven for baking. So far I am having good luck with the cast iron griddle, I think it will be a keeper.
__________________

2012 321RLTS Eagle
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 91
[QUOTE=dzwiss;130587]Before pizza stones came into vogue I used standard fire bricks like the ones used to build a fire place in my oven for baking.

Yep, fire bricks work great. Glad the iron griddle is working.
__________________

__________________

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.