Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2021, 11:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
We’ve done the I-90 stretch from about Ritzville, Wash., to Butte, Mont., a few times in recent years. there are some decent climbs between Spokane and Missoula, but the highway is good and you’ll have no problems. And the views are beautiful. That may be the best part of your trip. Like another poster said, you’ll only be about two hours from Glacier NP, which is a must-see. Enjoy!

I have travel that part of I-90 going to Sioux City, IA and it was pretty good open road but of course I wasn't towing my fiver but for what I remember it was pretty good roads.

The Glacier NP might go there on the way back, now the dealer have my fiver doing a lot of warranty work, repainting my front cap, some small items inside and the biggest one they have to remove the back wall, hmmm, don't know if I will have it back in time but I will see.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #22

Definitely avoid Chicago...and closer to trip time, would recommend you check for any road construction along the route. And if you end up on I-80, stop at the I-80 Truck Stop in Iowa. Pretty cool place. In North Dakota, we saw a Class C that lost its awning, presuming it wasn't secured and the cross winds assisted in lifting it up.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 10:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Definitely avoid Chicago...and closer to trip time, would recommend you check for any road construction along the route. And if you end up on I-80, stop at the I-80 Truck Stop in Iowa. Pretty cool place. In North Dakota, we saw a Class C that lost its awning, presuming it wasn't secured and the cross winds assisted in lifting it up.

Definitely I will avoid Chicago, I use to live in Evanston, Ill for a few years and I was able to go back to Chicago, so yeah I haven't lost anything in Chicago.

When it's time I will most likely stop buy I-80 Truck Stop in Iowa, I can't wait but like I mention before if they are done with my warranty work which I hope so but they have to go through Jayco factory. Thank you for your comment.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #24

RVParky

I use a free app called RVParky for planning trips. Lets you lay out your trip, add stops, shows just about everything, places to stay, gas stations...
Pretty easy to use and you dont have to give up your lifes info to use it.
Not sure if it's available for Apple Phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I don't know when but I want to start ahead of time but I want to plan a trip from Washington State to North Carolina, I put a link in and tell me if this is good?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Taco...35.7236251!3e0
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:27 PM   #25

Quote:
I don't know when but I want to start ahead of time but I want to plan a trip from Washington State to North Carolina, I put a link in and tell me if this is good?

Personally I'd use that more southern route.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I use a free app called RVParky for planning trips. Lets you lay out your trip, add stops, shows just about everything, places to stay, gas stations...
Pretty easy to use and you dont have to give up your lifes info to use it.
Not sure if it's available for Apple Phone.
Yep it is. Have it on the phone and iPad.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #27

More spots to stop

Missoula Montana. Smoke jumpers museum
Custer state park by Mount Rushmore
dancd141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:53 PM   #28

Quote:

I have rv'd from Washington state to Indian, Texas, and the last trip was all the way to Key West in Florida (as far as you can go). Unless you have something specific you want to see around Chicago I would avoid that part of the trip, Too many toll roads and super busy freeways (much like Tacoma/Seattle traffic). I'm assuming this is a late spring or summer trip. If not be aware you will hit snow and ice. If this is a winter trip head down I-5 then cross through the southern states on I-10. It's longer but the scenery is awesome!
Your welcome to message me with any questions. Have a safe and great trip!
thutson464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:56 PM   #29

Quote:

PS>> Sorry meant highway 40, will take you two extra days. Highway 10 would probably add 3-4 days.
thutson464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:49 PM   #30

Awesome trip

Well we will be making our half way across the country trip to move from So Cal to Montana, have made two trips already and a couple more to go early February. Have to say you need to make it across the 90 thru Montana and if you can make the trip up the 93 thru Kalispell and check it out. We loked staying at Rocky Mountain Hi campground. And Glacier national park is only about 30 minutes away.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #31

Check out harvest host they're great for one night stays
Jhimes56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #32

according to your milage and days traveled you will have to average 67 mph. If I was you I would figure 50mph and it takes 55 days. Than add stops to see some of this beautiful country. And maybe a few stops for at least 2 nights or more to get refreshed. Good Luck and don't push it. A good friend once said to me 300 miles or 3:30pm is all we do in one day.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:27 PM   #33

We leave next week for CA from ME. We know we will go south on 95-84-81 -77-85 -75 to I 10. 10 the way West but want to know if I 40 in Flagstaff will cause us problems with an early March return or anywhere on I 70.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #34

Big1, given your hurry and lack of stops along the way I think you will see more concrete and asphalt than American beauty. Got to get off Interstates to really see this wonderful country. Why not fly back and forth, while in Goldsboro, take a few days you would have been driving and make a trip out to Ocracoke Island or southern Hatteras. I'm not a big fan of Kitty Hawk area though. Better than beating yourself up to make time/speed.
Brians first rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:21 PM   #35

I40 goes thru Amarillo and Flagstaff which is over 7000ft expect snow and I70 well March and April is Denver slowest months. If it dnoes in eastern Colorado or western Kansas they shut down I70
Old 01-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micikas View Post
I40 goes thru Amarillo and Flagstaff which is over 7000ft expect snow and I70 well March and April is Denver slowest months. If it dnoes in eastern Colorado or western Kansas they shut down I70
Thank you. We expect snow. We are starting in snow and have bought several gallons of RV antifreeze. What we may run out of is patience to winterize again. We think we may have to three or four times anyway. We would rather not have feet of snow but have towed in 16 inches in Pennsylvania and New England

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #37

Be Safe
Old 01-20-2021, 08:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Personally I'd use that more southern route.

Okay, is the a reason for the southern route if I may ask?
Old 01-20-2021, 08:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thutson464 View Post
I have rv'd from Washington state to Indian, Texas, and the last trip was all the way to Key West in Florida (as far as you can go). Unless you have something specific you want to see around Chicago I would avoid that part of the trip, Too many toll roads and super busy freeways (much like Tacoma/Seattle traffic). I'm assuming this is a late spring or summer trip. If not be aware you will hit snow and ice. If this is a winter trip head down I-5 then cross through the southern states on I-10. It's longer but the scenery is awesome!
Your welcome to message me with any questions. Have a safe and great trip!

Thank you sir and yes it will be more like in the summer.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thutson464 View Post
PS>> Sorry meant highway 40, will take you two extra days. Highway 10 would probably add 3-4 days.

I have is so it will take me about 6-7 days but although we might have to stay two days halfway.