Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2022, 01:09 AM   #1

Planning a cross country trip to NC

Okay guys, I'm starting early the DW and I are going to see my mother around March or April and I want to start mapping out my route. We are leaving from Seattle to N.C.

Do you use RV Trip Wizard, how is it, is it worth the $49 dollars or what do you use in planning?

I do have one plan out with Camping World Software, but I wanted to be sure.

Thank you, guys, for your reply.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:42 AM   #2

Free campsites the entire trip, plus on a trip planner too:

https://freecampsites.net/#!Seattle,...oundtrip=false
Old 01-10-2022, 05:01 AM   #3

I use RV Trip Wizard in conjunction with other utilities. We tend to stay at a lot of KOA's (don't need any comments from the peanut galleries ) and I use their online route utility to find and book all my reservations along the way. We have been travelling back and forth from Carbondale, CO (Aspen area) to Wilmington, NC every spring and fall for the last eleven years. Weather can be a dodge ball game whether you go through the heart land or take the southern route. I 70 at Vail Pass can be a crap shoot depending on the month.
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3kirk View Post
I use RV Trip Wizard in conjunction with other utilities. We tend to stay at a lot of KOA's (don't need any comments from the peanut galleries ) and I use their online route utility to find and book all my reservations along the way. We have been travelling back and forth from Carbondale, CO (Aspen area) to Wilmington, NC every spring and fall for the last eleven years. Weather can be a dodge ball game whether you go through the heart land or take the southern route. I 70 at Vail Pass can be a crap shoot depending on the month.

Okay, we are thinking about traveling sometime in March or early April.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Free campsites the entire trip, plus on a trip planner too:

https://freecampsites.net/#!Seattle,...oundtrip=false

Yes, yes, this is what I'm looking for, this is what I want to do, is to come down as we travel.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:19 PM   #6
RPR

We check out what we might want to see or do between starting point and ending point on that type trip. We may not end up going the shortest route according to one of the app. Sometimes we wonder in the general direction so we can do and see things.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:33 PM   #7

I just started using RVTripWizard for a trip Western NY to FL panhandle. I find it a bit quirky at first but didn't balk at price though I intend to get several years use of it, while your trip is not recurring. Different strokes for different folks. Other planners . . . Harvest Hosts.com, AllStays, Campendium, Boondockers.com, HipCamp.com
Old 01-10-2022, 08:53 PM   #8

Yeah, and all I want is to plan a trip there and back, spending one day in between stop, we have a KOA campsite to stay when we get there.

I just wanted to plan a trip down the major hwy and no low bridges.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:54 AM   #9

If you plan to drive I80 the weather may have an adverse effect on your travel plans. I have been stuck twice on I80 in Wyoming due to "surprise" storms.
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:01 AM   #10

Another thought. I use the Motor Carrier Road Atlas to plan my routes. They use color to highlight routes that are not big rig friendly and they also list all low bridges in each state.
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3kirk View Post
Bill. I just initiated a thread today on the 5th wheel page asking about the drive from Grand Junction to Denver on I70, if you have a chance look up that thread and make a comment for me. It will be in June so weather is probably not an issue. I would really appreciate your input. I had originally planned to go from Grand Junction to Canon City and Royal Gorge but decided my wife's nerves might not survive that trip and thought she would fair better on the interstate. Thanks, Happy Camping and God Bless.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:39 PM   #12

I use two apps on my phone, RV Parks and Free Space. RV Parks has a GPS option but i normally figure out where we are staying then load my trips on my onboard GPS system. We now try to shoot for the free or cheap RV locals and so far haven't been disappointed.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyMike View Post
If you plan to drive I80 the weather may have an adverse effect on your travel plans. I have been stuck twice on I80 in Wyoming due to "surprise" storms.

Yeah, I think but I have to look at my route again that I will be taken some parts of I80 or just above it.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #14

I have used AllStays for several years with good results.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #15

The best part of RV Trip Wizard is the ability to place a travel radius (miles or hours) on the map when planning. It's the only app that I've found that has that feature. Does that make it worth $49/year? Each year I say no. Then I start planning and when the headache starts, I pony up the $49. YMMV
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:24 PM   #16

Quote:

So at what time of the year do you know how will it be around March?
Old 01-20-2022, 02:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Another thought. I use the Motor Carrier Road Atlas to plan my routes. They use color to highlight routes that are not big rig friendly and they also list all low bridges in each state.

Where did you get it from the MCRA?
Old 01-20-2022, 02:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by berwin View Post
I have used AllStays for several years with good results.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryjr View Post
The best part of RV Trip Wizard is the ability to place a travel radius (miles or hours) on the map when planning. It's the only app that I've found that has that feature. Does that make it worth $49/year? Each year I say no. Then I start planning and when the headache starts, I pony up the $49. YMMV

I have been thinking of that I might have to just pony up and buy a year subscription.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:11 PM   #19

I've always felt the subscription cost was small compared to all the other expenses on a major trip.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #20

Okay guys this is my layout let me know what you think, we will start out at the last week of March.

1. Caldwell, ID

2. Rawlin, WY

3. Oakley, KS

4. Springfield, MO

5. Lebanon, TN

6. New Bern, NC

These are each stop at the KOA's Campground, we are getting close so I don't want no hiccup. Thank you, guys, for your comments.