Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2021, 07:30 AM   #1

Plugged in while in storage.

Ok, got a chance to have 110v plugged in my 355mbqs while in storage. What do I need to do with the battery disconnect switch? Do I turn it to disconnect the batteries while plugged in? If so will they still get charged up? Or do I leave power on to the batteries?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:38 AM   #2

I never used the disconnect while plugged in during storage, left everything on and never had an issue.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:01 AM   #3

If you choose to plug in, maybe check your battery fluid levels every month or two. I was surprised at how much evaporation occurred with leaving my battery on while plugged in during the 5 months of intermittent camping we've done this year.

"If everyday is a break-even day, I'm good with that"
2020 JayFlight SLX 287 BHS, UVW 6,180 lbs
2015 RAM 1500, 8spd, 4x4, 5.7L, TowPak, 3.21 ratio, Fastway e2 2-Point Sway, AirLift 1000, GCWR 13,800lbs
1998 Coleman Redwood Pop-up (sold2020)
2000 Ford F-150 SuperCab (sold2018)
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:40 AM   #4

In the last 13 years with 3 different rigs they were always plugged in during storage and the switch was always on so the batteries would remain charged.

Check lead acid batteries at least once a month for level. AGM batteries don’t have the issue of reduced acid level over time.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #5

I believe that staying plugged in all the time is best, although I park mine at home and can check it often. When mine was about 4yrs old, I had left if plugged in and didn't check it for over a month (winter time) and when I went back to check it I found that the battery had exploded and dumped its acid out (mine has an exterior battery tray). So with that in mind, I likely wouldn't keep mine plugged in for the entire winter if I couldn't check it often and instead I would remove the batteries and store them in a climate controlled environment. Keep in mind that even without any battery that if you have 120v to plug into you will have 12v power as well. ~CA
Old 10-05-2021, 01:16 PM   #6

No battery disconnect switch if you want your convertor charger to keep the battery charged. Instead of leaving mine plugged in all time in storage, I use a Battery Tender connected thru a disconnect switch so nothing backfeeds into the camper. $25 for the Tender and about $12 for the disconnect switch. Working great for 4+ years. Just check water levels every couple of months.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #7

Ok, thanks all for the info.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:39 PM   #8

I have gone through 2 batteries in 6 months by leaving it plugged into shore power, If you turn the "Battery Disconnect" switch off then there is no 12V inside and lights will not come or anything that runs off 12V. I then disconnected the battery cable and turned on the "Battery Disconnect" switch and had plugged in to shore power, checked and the 12V lights etc worked. So I bought a disconnect switch and mounted it by the battery and ran the ground cable to it and back to the battery. So if I'm going to be plugged in for any length of time I turn off the ground to battery so it won't overcharge and I still have 12V inside. So far works great. PS - remember to turn it on when unplugged or hooked up for towing so it charges through vehicle
Pooh bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh bear View Post
I have gone through 2 batteries in 6 months by leaving it plugged into shore power,
Then you have other problems. I'v left every rig I've owned (starting in 1977) plugged in 24/7 since they were always at my house and only replaced batteries after 3 or 4 years. All I ever did special was check the water every month.
Old 12-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #10

I've been thinking the same thing. This is the 5th 5th wheel trailer we've owned and have NEVER had this issue. I can't find anything about the convertor as to how many amps for fast charge or amps if it kicks down to mntnce level which should be around 2-3 amps if that. Looking at the wiring in the storage compartment behind the panel where the convertor is buried - what a mess Jayco needs to clean up their act and quit rushing the units through. A 3rd grader with no electrical experience would have done a neater job. I bought this unit in Jan 21 , its a 2018 27.5 RTLS and it had never been used other than setting at a dealership. The cable disconnect was a quick solution to the problem.
Pooh bear is offline   Reply With Quote