Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2023, 08:41 PM   #1

Poopy situation

We bought a used 2014 Jayco Eagle 28.5 RKDS. When I first dumped the black water tank I realized the PO had not dumped out and this trailer has sat for about 3 years. All seems to flow fine at first but it needed a good flush. When flushing today I noticed the flow stopped coming out of the 3” hose. Also the gate valve seems to be seeping and not closing all the way. I have a solution to the seeping issue with an additional gate as posted in a previous forum but I’m wondering how to unclog this pipe without bathing myself and the RV park or dump station I go to in yuck! I probably need to replace all the gate valves while I’m at it. I believe the tank to be fairly empty but the gauge has always read full. I know how accurate those sensors are even if well maintained. I don’t believe the toilet dumps straight into the tank but maybe stuff a hose down there? I’m grasping at straws here.

2014 Jayco Eagle Touring 28.5 RKD

Waltdrechsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:15 PM   #2

If are at home or at a camp ground and do without the toilet for 72hrs then get a bottle or 2 of (Unique Tank Cleaner Liquid for RV and Boat Black Holding Tanks 32 oz. - Unclogs RV Holding Tanks, Breaks Through Pyramid Plugs - 41H-1) from Amazon. You can pour the cleaner into the tank and then fill it up with water and let it sit for 12 - 72 hrs (I recommend the 72 the first time so it can really break the waste and paper in the tank). Once you are done dump completely, close valve and refill with water only and then dump the tank again. I repeat the water only fill 2 more times or until I see nothing but clean water coming out. I also recommend a clear 45 connector connected to the trailer and then the hose. This will allow to you see when the tank is running clean water and when the water stops running. If you have the time I would repeat the tank cleaner again after a clean water dump since you have no idea what all is in the tank. I also use the Unique Tank treatment in liquid form (also on Amazon) when we are out camping.
NCRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:17 AM   #3

Minor addition to NCRetired comment. Camco makes a 45° clear elbow that I've found work better. A more gentle angle to keep things moving plus if your connection is lower to the ground a 45° can sometimes be a little tight.

Although I'm wondering if a 90° at the sewer side would offer the added benefit of knowing your hose is also a little cleaner.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:19 AM   #4

If you've had poo in your tank for 8 years you may (ok likely will) need to use a couple bottles of the Unique tank cleaner as multiple cleaning treatments could be required. Also those wands that you connect to a water hose and stick down the toilet might be helpful after your first tank treatment. I also agree the clear 45 degree fitting between the drain hose and the camper connection is required but I also think the clear 90 degree fitting at the end of your drain hose where it connects to the dump port is helpful as well because it allows you to know when your hose is clean.

After you get the tank completely flushed I would leave it 1/3 full with some common tank treatment in it to help with odors.
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:13 PM   #5

Although I've personally not had this problem, I've read on this forum that pouring 1 cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid and 1 cup of white vinegar along with enough water to adequately cover the bottom of your black tank and letting it sit for several hours or more, should loosen everything up allowing it to be flushed out.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:25 PM   #6

If you don't get it clean with all the other suggestions, see if you are near
one of the service techs for Kleen Tank. https://kleentank.com
Watch this YouTube video for good look at what and how they do it....

(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:21 PM   #7

Topperace, Thanx for the YouTube attachment about "RV Black Tank Cleaning Maintenance"!! I learned a lot about cleaning my black and gray tanks. I recommend everyone viewing this link! Even when we think we know it all, there's always something more to learn.

Old 01-18-2023, 01:50 PM   #8

My valve leaked and waste flow was restricted. I finally gave up and crammed a garden hose (Same one that I used to flush the tank) up the drain. What came out next was the results of my uneducated daughter flushing her feminine hygiene items into the tank. This caused a beaver dam jam at the tank valve. After clearing this out and educating my family I did not have problems again.

Tom
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:53 PM   #9

Beaver Dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
My valve leaked and waste flow was restricted. I finally gave up and crammed a garden hose (Same one that I used to flush the tank) up the drain. What came out next was the results of my uneducated daughter flushing her feminine hygiene items into the tank. This caused a beaver dam jam at the tank valve. After clearing this out and educating my family I did not have problems again.

Tom

Tom - Your post made my day! Too FUNNY! My wife and I "remind" our visitors that hygiene products (and wipes) go in the TRASH next to the toilet and we use RV TP for our regular business. This is a great example of what not to do. This is why we share our experiences! - Thanks
Old 01-18-2023, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRetired View Post
If are at home or at a camp ground and do without the toilet for 72hrs then get a bottle or 2 of (Unique Tank Cleaner Liquid for RV and Boat Black Holding Tanks 32 oz. - Unclogs RV Holding Tanks, Breaks Through Pyramid Plugs - 41H-1) from Amazon. You can pour the cleaner into the tank and then fill it up with water and let it sit for 12 - 72 hrs (I recommend the 72 the first time so it can really break the waste and paper in the tank). Once you are done dump completely, close valve and refill with water only and then dump the tank again. I repeat the water only fill 2 more times or until I see nothing but clean water coming out. I also recommend a clear 45 connector connected to the trailer and then the hose. This will allow to you see when the tank is running clean water and when the water stops running. If you have the time I would repeat the tank cleaner again after a clean water dump since you have no idea what all is in the tank. I also use the Unique Tank treatment in liquid form (also on Amazon) when we are out camping.
If you have access to a pressure washer order the angle adjustable fitting from Amazon and you can clean the tank including the sides, works great! DO NOT use narrowest nozzle as it can cut through the plastic tank!!
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 07:04 AM   #11

Cbcocrbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRetired View Post
HEY THANKS for the tip on the cleaner. I've never heard of it but for sure am going to get some. Our unit is permanently hooked up at a seasonal park and I dump the tank regularly and run at least two or three fills with water and dump then fill to one third to start. Even after the extra flushes I still see some solids coming down the clear connection fitting. At the end of the season I do a manual flush with sprayer down thru the toilet.

Thanks for the tip
Rick
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:26 AM   #12

In addition to the previous ideas, you might want to try one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rhino-B...4148975&sr=8-8
2013 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3
Husky Centerline TS

ChiToones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #13

Jumped on soon

I learned a ton (more than I wanted about poo) between all the suggestions and lots of You tube. I’ve got it flowing well now but it will take some time to get all the poo cleaned out. I did buy a couple bottles of the recommended cleaner and will add when we take off for a week to let it set.
I believe I never had enough liquid in the tank and coupled with it being on a slight angle at the dump out it just wouldn’t flow.

Thanks for all the input! Really appreciate this forum

Walt

2014 Jayco Eagle Touring 28.5 RKD

Waltdrechsler is offline   Reply With Quote