Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #1

Popping floor

We have a floor that literally pops---not creak--but pops and not always in the same place. The dealer said that they could drop the floor and try to fix it, but I am afraid it will be worse and warranty is up in April. This is a 2013 Eagle 31.5 RLTS. Any thoughts
Crablad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Try and get it fixed. The popping isn't going to go away. If they can't fix it right, make them give you a really good deal on a new one.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #3

Last year my floor was popping, this year it is not. No work done on it.

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

My 2013 Pinnacle floor creaks and pops. Jayco won't do anything about it. Keeps getting worse with time.
pointrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #5

My floor had a squeak and jayco approved my dealer to fix it. Invoice says 7 hours for the job. No squeak anymore
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

On wood floors that squeak, pop etc. my son sprinkles baby powder where the boards meet. Stops the noise. On floors with plywood or other that has squeaks etc he puts the baby powder in a syringe makes really small hole in the carpet where squeaks are(where the plywood meets)gets some baby powder in there and that solves that problem.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #7

Mine only pops when the water tank is full.

2006 GMC Sierra 3500, CCLB
2005 JayFlight 25RKS
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #8

jayco tech support

When I had them on the phone I asked about my creaking floor. They said that it is tongue and groove and can change with humidity. They also said that they will authorize a one time warranty repair attempt. Since its not structurally a worry I don't want my floor messed with to "attempt" a repair.
On the plus side, no one can sneak up on me while I'm sleeping, the only squeeky spot we have.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #9

We are taking in the Eagle today to get the floor fixed???? I will let you know what happens. Got an email from Jayco saying it was probably the tongue and groove expanding and rubbing together, this is normally found in trailers with tongue and groove over heat ducting or over a tank in the bottom of the trailer.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

I have repaired several creaks and pops in the floor of our Pinnacle. I found that the major reason for the noise is vertical movement between the plywood floor and the steel support stringers. The floor is screwed to the stringers from above using self-threading machine screws, and with humidity changes, a small amount of clearance will result in noise.

There are two ways to fix this. It is a two-person job. You will need someone to be inside the rig, making the noise, while you're undrneath with a flashlight. One way is to insert a wooden wedge shim between the floor and the stringer, from underneath. The best way, if you can get access, is to drill a hole from underneath through the steel stringer flange and use a 1/4 inch lag screw and washer. You may have to cut an access opening in the coroplast underbelly covering, or if you're lucky, you can get to the creak through the slide mechanism access hatches by removing the screws.

Our most-annoying creak was in the kitchen, and this one was caused by a joint in the longitudinal 2x3 joist, which Jayco spliced with a flimsy galvanized metal joining piece. Any relative movement here resulted in a very annoying creak. I fixed this one by glueing and screwing two 1x3x12 inch long pine pieces to each side of the 2x3 joist.

Our floor is now quiet. Even though it took a few hours of poking around underneath, it was worth it. I'm not sure that most dealers would have the patience to track down these creaks, or even that Jayco would approve a warranty claim, because it is so time-consuming.

Check out our technically-oriented blog: Canada Fulltimers

David and Denise, fulltiming since 2011.
Blog: www.canadafulltimers.blogspot.com
Pinnacle 36RETS, Samsung RF197 refer, 17.5 wheels/H-rated tires, Mor-Ryde pinbox, wet bolts and X-Factor, Monroe shocks, TireMinder TPMS.
2013 GMC 3500HD DRW 2wd, AirLift rear airbags, Curt Q20, 46 gal ATI transfer tank, Yamaha 3000iS in pickup bed
huronwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #11

Well the popping is gone, had it worked on by Blade Chev in Mt. Vernon, they dropped the under carriage and found that the tongue and groove had buckled, straighten it out and no more pop. They had to remove the water tanks to do it and put them back of course. DID I MENTION NO MORE POP
Old 12-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #12

Crablad,

Great to hear you called Jayco, they authorized the repair, and the pop is gone! I keep telling people: "Don't just b**** about it! Call Jayco! They're great people, but they can't fix what they don't know about! Your story proves my point!

Happy (and quiet) camping next season!
Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #13

Glad you finely got that fixed because I could hear it up in Bellingham.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #14

Yeah it was pretty loud