Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #1

Portable Gen vs Onan Installed Gen

We have a 2016 Pinnacle 38FLSA that came with the gen prep. I'm trying to decide if I should give up the storage space in the front to have Onan generator installed or if I should save money, keep the storage and buy a portable generator. A 7000 watt EFI Onan was quoted at $4,650.00 plus installation vs a 7500 watt Champion duel fuel generator for $849. My biggest concern about the Champion generator is it weighs 231 lbs. and I don't think my wife and I would be able to load it in and out of the truck very easily as we get older. My buddies and I rented a 7500 watt Honda for a NASCAR race and it took 4 of us to lift it in and out a truck. If I came up with a way to load in the front of the FW I'm giving up the same storage space as the Onan generator would have used.

I would like to know what some of the more seasoned FW veterans are doing for a generator. If you have a portable generator, have you come up with an easy way of carrying it on your camping trips?
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:21 PM   #2

We opted for the storage space when we bought ours in 2014. We purchased two Honda 2000's and run them in parallel. If I could go back in time and reverse the decision I would in a heart beat. Hauling around fuel tanks, generators, and all the extra bits and pieces is a PIA. Having to put my shoes and pants on and go out in the rain to start the generators just to make a cup of coffee is reason enough.

Get the built in Onan. No question.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #3

I'm at Talladega right now and the guy next to me has a very nice and big 5th wheel with a built in Onan like mine. Does he run it? Only occasionally to keep his residential refrigerator happy. What he does do is run an el-cheapo contractor generator all nigh for who knows what reason. Does he put it right behind his rig? No, he puts it between him and me. Fortunately I'm hearing impaired so I don't hear it too much at night. His reason for not using the Onan - to keep hours off of it.

Off of soap box.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
We opted for the storage space when we bought ours in 2014. We purchased two Honda 2000's and run them in parallel. If I could go back in time and reverse the decision I would in a heart beat. Hauling around fuel tanks, generators, and all the extra bits and pieces is a PIA. Having to put my shoes and pants on and go out in the rain to start the generators just to make a cup of coffee is reason enough.

Get the built in Onan. No question.
Our friends that we camp with often have a built in Onan in their toy hauler. More than once I've been out there in the rain starting our generator while they are staying dry and comfortable getting their power at the push of a button. We love this new little Jayco we have, but really wish it came with a gen set.
Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:23 AM   #5

I have an onboard Onan. Screw that portable genset stuff. I did that for years. Too much work and hassle. Gotta lock it all up. Heavy. Eats up truck bed space. Unless you buy expensive inverter genset it will be heard for two miles away. When you leave the site you have to disconnect and secure everything in the bed. Than if it doesn't have remote start you need to go out and start/stop it. Getting in and out of the truck bed in the morning with dew everywhere is slippery. I'd slipped off the step bumper a time or two.
Shop around, you can buy Onans much cheaper online than from a dealer. Pretty easy to install yourself. Or you could buy online and have it installed.
I found a used Onan 5500 with 3 hours on it and got it for $1800.00. I installed it the end of August and have 50 hours on it so far.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Our friends that we camp with often have a built in Onan in their toy hauler. More than once I've been out there in the rain starting our generator while they are staying dry and comfortable getting their power at the push of a button. We love this new little Jayco we have, but really wish it came with a gen set.
A lot of the Champion generators come with remote start so I don't have get wet to start or shut off ours!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #7

I purposely opted not to order with the gen set. It takes up valuable storage space, adds hitch weight directly to the TV, and is only needed when dry camping.

Instead, I bought a Champion Inverter dual fuel electric start 3400W. I can put it in parallel with any other sized Champion generator, but I really don't need to. This runs everything but two A/C's at once. If I needed that, I would just buy a Champion 2000W and parallel them.

As for bed space: I have it on a rack attached to the hitch on the trailer. When I load it I strap it down, lock it, and put the generator and fuel on it. It runs right from there just fine. If I want to remove it the process takes 5 minutes and I can easily lift this by myself and then roll it, on its' wheels.

The 3400W cost $800 on sale. If the majority of your camping is dry camping then perhaps the on board is the way to go. If not, I would seriously consider saving the $ and go the portable route. Just my 2 cents..
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:46 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
A lot of the Champion generators come with remote start so I don't have get wet to start or shut off ours!
Did not know that. Thanks.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermanbb View Post
I purposely opted not to order with the gen set. It takes up valuable storage space, adds hitch weight directly to the TV, and is only needed when dry camping.

Instead, I bought a Champion Inverter dual fuel electric start 3400W. I can put it in parallel with any other sized Champion generator, but I really don't need to. This runs everything but two A/C's at once. If I needed that, I would just buy a Champion 2000W and parallel them.

As for bed space: I have it on a rack attached to the hitch on the trailer. When I load it I strap it down, lock it, and put the generator and fuel on it. It runs right from there just fine. If I want to remove it the process takes 5 minutes and I can easily lift this by myself and then roll it, on its' wheels.

The 3400W cost $800 on sale. If the majority of your camping is dry camping then perhaps the on board is the way to go. If not, I would seriously consider saving the $ and go the portable route. Just my 2 cents..
Will that duel fuel run a 15k BTU AC on Propane does it have to be gas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #10

I have the Onan in mine but also have a Honda 300is. I can run the Honda for a day on 3 gals and run one of my ac units. The Onan is great when traveling and roadside stopping. It also is great when you get up and it’s pouring out and you crank it up. My Honda does not have remote start but u can get that. The problem is my Honda will not start without choke on when cold. The Onan will burn way more fuel running 24 hours. We dry camp up in the mountains and having both and a portable solar panel is real nice
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #11

Thanks for all the great responses! Since I'm coming to the end of my camping season, adding a generator is on my winter "to-do" list. I had not even considered buying a used gen set as Earl mentioned. So that is another option for me to explore.

For those of you who have the Onan gen set onboard, did you had any sound proofing to the front storage area to keep the noise out of the FW?

Thanks.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #12

We have used both methods, twin Honda EU2000's (aleardy owned from when had TT) and onboard Onan. When we purchased our 377RLBH I added the gen prep option. We used the Honda's the first year but only turned on one AC unit, never both. Then purchasesd and installed Onan 7000 the following year. One of the best additions we have made since buying the unit. Sold my Honda's to a friend who still has a TT.
So convienent to be able start run the generator while traveling in the summer and having unit cool when you arrive. Quick overnight stays while traveling are much easier with less setup.
One more thing, I purchased mine online and had it delivered to my house. Saved me several hundred dollars on purchase price.
Best of luck on your decision.

Jamie846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:09 AM   #13

I added sound deading to my firebox before installing my Onan. I plan to run mine all night at times and wanted it quiet as possible. I plan to also put sound deading on the compartment door as well. I ran out of time to complete that part of the project.
I also may add sound deading to the exterior left and top of the firebox.
I'll never go back to portables! We love our Onan! It's always there and always ready. Stop at a truck stop, it's there. At a full hook campground and the power goes out, it's there and ready.

I'm only 40. I couldn't imagine dealing with portable genset(s) at older ages. I used an engine crane to get my genset in and out of the truck. A boxed in Generac RV genset. Definitely not missing those days! Now we just hit the start button on the wall.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 10-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #14

We are on our second Onan. Prior to that we used two Hondas hooked together. It worked for a single AC but there were all the hassles mentioned above. My North Point came with a gas powered generator already installed. It worked well, but refueling was a pain. I was unable to access the fill spout while the trailer was hooked to the vehicle. My Pinnacle 38FLSA came with a generator prep and I added the same size Onan (5500) but propane powered instead of gasoline. Much handier. Additionally it doesn't stink as much and propane doesn't go bad. The trailer has 3 40 propane bottles and this is more than enough, especially since we have a residential refrigerator. For us it was far easier to find room in the back of the truck or use a tray in the rear of the trailer for other items than to have to deal with external generators. The Onan will run both AC units but will not run both AC units and the microwave at the same time.

Jim
Old 10-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #15

My 5500 Onan is LP too. Much nicer than gasoline. No carb to gum up. Like said, LP lasts forever. Has no shelf life like gasoline. Much less toxic exhaust and extremely clean burning. No gas cans that leak and stink. No fuel treatment bottles. Trailer always has LP.

Earl
Line-X premium
Old 10-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #16

My 361REQS had gen prep but I used the space for 4x 6v AGM's, inverter, etc. The first winter I recharged when dry camping with a 2kw Champion which I just left in the back of the truck and ran a cord. For last winter I installed 330w of solar. I don't have a res fridge and can go about 2 days before I need a day of full sun. I used the genny once last winter when we had 3 days of cloud. The solar & AGM's cost me less than a fixed genny and I can just go out for the day and let the solar do it's thing. I can't run AC but I can run the m/w off the inverter.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #17

Mine came with gas version but that is no big deal. If running a lot I use the cheapest gas like I do in my Honda. Before leaving to head home I go eternal free and run it monthly to excerize the gen. 40 lb propane fills are more than gas when you look at how much propane is used. Propane does solve the gummed carb issue but so does ethanol free or Startron treated ethanol gas. Never had a problem with any lawn equipment, boats or gens doing it that way
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #18

Has anyone here ever installed a big lp tank under the camper ? Vs lugging multiple portable 40# tanks. Seriously consider this or diesel to ensure zero fuel issues over gas yes ethonal free is best but not always easy to find.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
Has anyone here ever installed a big lp tank under the camper ? Vs lugging multiple portable 40# tanks. Seriously consider this or diesel to ensure zero fuel issues over gas yes ethonal free is best but not always easy to find.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I looked into a frame mounted LP tank. They are very expensive and they aren't very large. Than you have to take the trailer to get the tank refilled. I take a couple extra 40# tanks when I boon. I have 6 40# tanks plus the two in the trailer for a total of 8. I ponder 100# tanks but just too big and heavy to handle.

I agree on the ethanal free gasoline not easy to find. I've never seen it available anywhere I've been. They say it exists but I've never seen anyone selling it. LP is available everywhere these days and tends to price in the range of gasoline. At least in my state.

Earl
Old 10-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoker TX View Post
Will that duel fuel run a 15k BTU AC on Propane does it have to be gas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yes. It runs a single 15K A/C unit on either gas or propane.
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote