Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

Possible damage --- disconnected black tank flush

We recently took delivery of a new Eagle 291RSTS. This past weekend we camped to test out everything in a live situation and to customize our 5W. All went well until it came time to leave. At the beginning of the weekend I filled the fresh water tank to 2/3's and we ran in "dry camping" mode, even though we had full hookups.

As we prepared to leave, I connected to the sewer and started to dump the tank. It was immediately clear that one of the gray tanks and the black tank were reversed on the labeling. What was far worse, I used the black tank flush for about 30 seconds before water started to pour out of the bottom of the 5W and also into the "basement". I took the unit to our dealer.

Today I found out that the black tank flush was never connected at the factory!

Now I am concerned about the consequences of all that water in the bottom of the 5W. The dealer says that they have opened up the bottom and are running fans to dry it out. Further they claim that the insulation used nowadays is a solar "bubblewrap" as opposed to the fiberglass that was used a few years ago. The implication is that this can be dried out easily. They also claim that there is a good deal of open space in the bottom above the coroplast? seal.

My question is what is the likely possible damage and what should I look for going forward? The black tank was 1/3 full when I emptied it. Could there have been leakage from the black tank given that the flush was not connected.

The dealer has been super in years past and they claim they can do repairs better than the factory. They have been Jayco dealers for about 47 years---almost from the start of Jayco itself and their service team is a group of long term employees.

Should I be worried? What likely was soaked?

Thanks.

Terry
Tharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

I think the dealer is giving you a straight answer. The insulation is just as he says and once dried out, I don't think you will have any long term problems.

Seems like we are hearing of loads of "shoddy" work. Wonder if anyone has id'd the problem?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

JAYCO makes a huge deal out of not allowing water to flood the floor. I would worry about the chances of water between ins and decking, and the mold and rot that would cause. That would not happen over night, could take a year or two.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

My question is why didn't the dealer find that when they did their systems check. They are supposed to to connect the tank flush and make sure it works properly.

There would not have been any leakage from the tank flush since there is a check valve/back flow preventer where the piping is connected.

As Norty said there should no be a problem when it dries since both layers are plastic.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:23 AM   #5

I don't think a one time dose of water will do too much damage if it is dried out completely. But, if the black water tank was never connected, and it's supposed contents went into your floor, then water isn't the only thing in there.
Beelbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #6

Jayco needs to do a better job of inspecting the work at the factory!
That kind of stuff would easy catch, if someone looked!
They seem to be more concerned about production than a properly build unit.
linkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #7

We had the exact same incident in 2014 with our new 2014 Pinnacle 38FLFS. We permanent camp with it. Set it up last year. Used it 2 weekends. Noticed the smell. Dealer contacted immediately. Not able to use for 2 or 3 weekends. Had to have hole cut in underside of unit. Dealer cleaned all of the body fluids/excrement out of the sealed underside. Applied bleach & disinfectant. Connected the hose as it should have been done @ the factory during manufacturing process. We are not sure if there will be problems with mold, mildew or rot down the road but the situation was handled by our dealer as best they could. Of course, now there is a hole covered with insulation due to this factory oversight! It made us sick to see the unit cut into to repair what should never had happened in the first place!!
AnnetteG is offline   Reply With Quote