Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

Power Converter High Frequency Sound

I was camping this weekend and I heard a high pitch sound coming from the Power Converter, sometimes I couldn't hear it but the kids could hear it. I was able to turn off the breaker to the power converter and it goes away. I called Jayco and they are sending a new power converter, but they would only send it to a dealership or mobile repair guy. I am a master electrician and they wouldn't send it to me. I guess my question is has anyone ever had this problem and did replacing the power converter fix it?
Chris Wendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wendt View Post
. I called Jayco and they are sending a new power converter, but they would only send it to a dealership or mobile repair guy. I am a master electrician and they wouldn't send it to me.
Liability.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #3

I have had this problem and the dealer replaced the converter. About 2 years later and the problem has returned. I have tried reaching out to Progressive Dynamics but they haven't returned my emails asking for help.

2013 Jayco Eagle 314 BDS
2011 Ford F350
THSlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #4

Yeah, I have a high pitch whine from mine, I get noise blind to it pretty quick however, really only notice it when I am just opening up the camper from storage. Won't notice it again unless I actually stop and listen for it.

Don't seem to have any ill effects from it.

Here's an online article that explains fairly well what is going on, and why it generally isn't a problem.

https://www.howtogeek.com/200466/why...whining-noise/
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Liability.
Really Liability, I'm more qualified then a RV repair tech when it comes to electrical
Old 07-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Yeah, I have a high pitch whine from mine, I get noise blind to it pretty quick however, really only notice it when I am just opening up the camper from storage. Won't notice it again unless I actually stop and listen for it.

Don't seem to have any ill effects from it.

Here's an online article that explains fairly well what is going on, and why it generally isn't a problem.

https://www.howtogeek.com/200466/why...whining-noise/
I'm sorry, but its so freaking annoying. It also keeps the kids up all night.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THSlik View Post
I have had this problem and the dealer replaced the converter. About 2 years later and the problem has returned. I have tried reaching out to Progressive Dynamics but they haven't returned my emails asking for help.

Thanks, I have read on many other sites that the thing to do is replace the power converter, and Jayco didnt have a problem doing it when I told them what it was doing. They just wouldn't send it to me directly. Luckily I have a really good mobile tech near me.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #8

I noticed a high pitched sound last month when getting the trailer ready. I'm going to have to wait till September to have it looked at. Is there any problem on waiting to have it looked at
timj088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #9

Hi...as per my knowledge most power conversion devices contains coils, such as transformers or inductors. These components use electromagnetism to convert AC main power to low-voltage DC power. The varying magnetic fields generated by these components can cause them to physically vibrate at high frequency, resulting in a high-pitched noise.
NealXu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Liability.
it is sort of funny about liability, as we have all seen how the electrical work is done on these... but you are right.. there is a lawyer somewhere waiting to make a buck...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #11

My converter/charger unit also makes a tone noise when one of the ATC DC fuses get blown... It also has a small LED lit above the open fuse... This noise however is pretty loud when it happens...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #12

Chris, I feel your pain. As a Master Plumber I can't even purchase a water heater for wholesale unless I'm a certified RV Tech. Funny thing is my local RV store buys from the plumbing wholesale supplier I buy from. Grinds my gears a bit but that's my suppliers choice. Guess we can't knock an industry too much for protecting their turf, even if it is somewhat unfair not to recognize state licenses and training that deals in repairing the same systems just in different environments.
PipeFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #13

If your dog is acting weird when you go camping, your converter, chargers, etc. might be the culprit. Many adults start losing their high tones after 40 and may not be aware something is torturing their dog.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote