Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #1

Power Cord Change

We spent last month in Colorado and had some weather below freezing. I had to roll up the power cord in the powered reel when it was pretty stiff from the cold. Not fun. I had changed the cord on our last fifth wheel to a cold weather version which does not stiffen up in the cold. I didn't have the reel on that fifth wheel so just built a new cord. I wasn't sure how to do it with the Pinnacle but it turned out to be pretty simple.

Everybody in the world but me probably knows how to do it but there is a cover plate that when removed exposes what is shown in the picture. Remove the nuts from the lugs and 2 clamps on the cord reel and the old cord comes right out. Attaching the new cord was just as easy. It took longer to put on the new lugs than it did to install it on the reel. I did have to order a new male end which Amazon is delivering tomorrow.

I shortened the length of the new cord to 25 feet instead of the 30 it came with. In all of our years of travel I have only needed more cord one time. I do carry a 15 foot extension just in case. The old cord was an inch in diameter and the new is 7/8". It took 2 full spans of the reel to roll up the old cord and was a tight fit. The new slightly shorter version takes 1 1/2 and has room to spare.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_0241.jpg  
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
We spent last month in Colorado and had some weather below freezing.
Don't you just love when that happens? We were there one Oct and it was 70, the park ranger came around and said we're turning the water off tomorrow a cold front's coming in fill your tanks. 2 days later it was 17 and we had 7" of snow... Two days later the snow was all gone and back to 65.
Old 10-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #3

Love tje Colorado weather.

Have you considered, putting a female end on the old cord, and tossing it in the hold as a spare extension cord?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:01 PM   #4

We were in Estes Park from 9-7 to 10-7. Camped at about 8K so got a little chilly on occasion but we go every year at that time so we know what to expect. We also usually go to Branson for a couple of weeks in November and have hit some teens temperatures on occasion. Dealing with the stiff stock cord is pretty low down on the list of my mods but I've done most of the important ones, at least to me, already.

I do carry a 15 foot 50 amp extension cord.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
We spent last month in Colorado and had some weather below freezing. I had to roll up the power cord in the powered reel when it was pretty stiff from the cold. Not fun. I had changed the cord on our last fifth wheel to a cold weather version which does not stiffen up in the cold. I didn't have the reel on that fifth wheel so just built a new cord. I wasn't sure how to do it with the Pinnacle but it turned out to be pretty simple.

Everybody in the world but me probably knows how to do it but there is a cover plate that when removed exposes what is shown in the picture. Remove the nuts from the lugs and 2 clamps on the cord reel and the old cord comes right out. Attaching the new cord was just as easy. It took longer to put on the new lugs than it did to install it on the reel. I did have to order a new male end which Amazon is delivering tomorrow.

I shortened the length of the new cord to 25 feet instead of the 30 it came with. In all of our years of travel I have only needed more cord one time. I do carry a 15 foot extension just in case. The old cord was an inch in diameter and the new is 7/8". It took 2 full spans of the reel to roll up the old cord and was a tight fit. The new slightly shorter version takes 1 1/2 and has room to spare.
Do you have info on where to purchase or a manufacturer of the cord you used Thanks
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Do you have info on where to purchase or a manufacturer of the cord you used Thanks
My receipt shows 6/4 SEOOW Southwire #55040501. I got it a local electrical supply store for $4.34 a foot. 26 feet of it and 4 lugs was $119.54 before tax. I spent $18.99 for a male end for it on Amazon.