Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #21

Possible battery draw while in storage

Looking at the manual for fridge and it has a climate switch to keep condensation down. If it is left on it will drain batteries. I have a Dometic and here is the section of the manual
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnae View Post
I think the weird part is that it's on when I'm clearly not using the trailer. I would think that when I use the factory installed switch that it would also turn off the CO2 detector because why would a person be in their trailer when all power is cut off?

If we step through this, its actually more dangerous to have the battery drain down to dead because when I do come pick the trailer up, turn the factor installed switch to on, walk in my trailer I have no power hence the CO2 detectors wouldn't be working.. whereas if my batteries were not drained and I turned the switch to on, the CO2 detectors would turn on and alert me of a gas problem in the trailer before I walked in.

It's interesting to think about, either way I have to do something about the batteries. It's not good for them to full discharge every time I'm done camping with the RV, it just surprises me that the cut off switch that they provide really doesn't cut the battery off. I'm not even really sure of it's purpose now to be honest.
It's not CO2... but semantics aside:
When you use the disconnect switch inside the trailer, does the light on your carbon monoxide detector turn off? It doesn't sound like a true disconnect..

To your other point, If you die in a camper fire because your battery is dead, that's on you and your family can't sue Jayco for making it easy for you to disable the safety features. I'm sure this has been tested in court at some point, by at least one manufacturer.. well it wouldn't surprise me anyway. Granted a lot of campers have 'true' battery disconnect switched in them but yours doesn't sound like one... is it just a small rocker switch like all the others in the camper?

ETA, I just read some of the other replies. Looks like it has all been covered already
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote