Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2018, 07:17 AM   #1

Power Washing Jayco Roof.

Can you or should you Power Wash your Jayco Roof?

Looking to see if the group thinks this could cause more problems down the road or not or void Jayco Roof warranty?

Thanks!

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #2

I'm sure other will chime in but I would advise against it. You could damage the roof and the caulking.

Some pressure washers have a soap/rinse nozzle but at that point just use a regular hose.

I use a garden hose, quality car wash soap and soft RV brush to gently clean the roof.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #3

That's how I clean my roof. I don't pressure wash the caulking. I'm very careful at not getting the sprayer too close to the membrane or any openings on the roof. I've done a lot of soap and water and a lot of scrubbing over the years and this is the best method I've found. You just have to exercise care around seams and openings.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #4

Even being careful, I wouldn't do it on a rubber roof. A little soapy water (I used to use Murphy's Oil Soap) and a long-handled soft brush is all you need. I never had to put that much "elbow grease" into cleaning mine, and that combo always did a really good job. AND I didn't have to worry about spraying too hard and blowing away part of the roof membrane, or hitting a seal and creating a leak.

I've done it this way while standing on the roof (be careful how you route your water hose as when you drag it over the edge of the roof, you could rip a hole. Ask me how I know.) and I've done it from a ladder as well. The long-handled soft brush makes it easy.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Even being careful,

I've done it this way while standing on the roof (be careful how you route your water hose as when you drag it over the edge of the roof, you could rip a hole. Ask me how I know.)
Well that's how it happened!!!! This has driven me nuts now for about 3 months. Between my rain gutter extention and my awning ( about 8" ) my rubber roof is really damaged and for the life of me it just didn't sink in that "I" did it.

Camper bob, I owe you many beers!
Tunce
Old 11-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #6

I use plain water and a pressure washer to clean. I just go easy and don't get to aggressive and careful around the edges. Then I spray 303 Aerospace Protectant on it. I get it by the gallon from Amazon and use a small pump up sprayer.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #7

Hello Marko, I would say there are two camps on the subject.

There are those that do it and swear by it.

Then there are those like me, that say it is not worth the risk.

My concern is if you are using a strong of a tip, you could do damage to the roof. I have about 8-10 tips for my power washer. The gentlest is the soap tip. If does not have any power to blast away the crude.

I bring up an empty bucket, with Dish soap in the bottom, a long handled car wash brush, and a hose. I fill the bucket when I am up top. The brush does a good job. It is not perfect, but no one sees it, and i am not eating off the roof. So it is good enough. I do not apply any other products.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #8

From everything I have read from the industry, they don't recommend using a power washer. I use a hose, dawn dishwashing detergent and a soft scrub brush. Rinse the roof off first, wash than rinse good and then I apply aerospace 303. You have to be sure to wipe the 303 to do it properly, it doesn't "dry" by itself. Wiping will get you better coverage and protection as per their directions. Im not really worried if the roof is not white, I don't want to remove more particulate than needed, just want it clean and than protected from the sun.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #9

I’m in the power wash camp. I do it and don’t have any problems. Use the gentle tip, not the high power tip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2255.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	45440

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #10

I did it a couple weeks ago...like Tom said, just be careful

Tom what falls out of the sky in Texas??!!
Mine wasn’t near that bad.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I did it a couple weeks ago...like Tom said, just be careful

Tom what falls out of the sky in Texas??!!
Mine wasn’t near that bad.

Lol! Mine hadn’t been washed in a while. It’s parked next to some trees and it gets a lot of leaves and pine needles on it.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #12

What is the benefit of washing the roof? I think I washed the cover on the AC unit a few times, but never cared about the roof past the locations where I was applying new calking.

My understanding is the roof is made up of layers that slowly over time release, but I'm no expert that is for sure. Could have been bad info for all I know.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #13

I washed my roof with roof cleaner and it did not come clean at all I bought roof treatment and did not want to seal in stains and dirt.

Hauled my little cheapo electric pressure washer up top, set it to wide fan spray and it came nice and clean over a hour or so on a 19.5 ft. roof.

Slow, avoid spraying seams, never to close. And don't forget to watch your footing!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
What is the benefit of washing the roof? I think I washed the cover on the AC unit a few times, but never cared about the roof past the locations where I was applying new calking.

My understanding is the roof is made up of layers that slowly over time release, but I'm no expert that is for sure. Could have been bad info for all I know.

Not sure how you inspect your roof, which your suppose to do several times a year, when dirt, leaves, sap from trees, etc is covering it. You need to inspect caulking around any opening for cracks, which, if dirty you may not be able to see. Living in Arizona after washing I treat the roof with 303, to help prevent UV issues. I guess you don't need to wash your truck or the sides of your RV either, but, it protects the finish.. same as washing the roof does. It's your RV you don't have to wash any of it, it's just best to keep ALL of your investment relatively clean and in good shape.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #15

I have had 4 travel trailers with the rubber roofs. I have never used anything but a soft brush, soap, and water on any of them to clean the roof. The only time I have ever had a factory clean roof is when I resealed with Dicor of Eternabond. Those need a clean surface to stick to.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #16

2naEagle, Is your roof Fiberglass or rubber?
Old 11-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twdenman View Post
2naEagle, Is your roof Fiberglass or rubber?
It is a rubber roof.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:46 PM   #18

I'm in the power washer club! I use my Harbor Freight, 1650 psi electric pressure washer to wet the roof down, then I add liquid laundry detergent with 1/2 cup of bleach in a full bucket of water, then scrub it in with the extended handle soft bristled brush, then carefully pressure wash to rinse. That is the only way I can get the mold, mildew and tree sap stains from the pecan tree to come off without back breaking scrubbing. I do this every spring, followed by a close inspection to the roof seals. First time was tough (after 2+ years), but it is easier and goes quicker if done every year. .... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote