Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
IFF

Pre-empt Front Cap Fading?

I am new to this forum and have been reading a lot about fading of the front cap. We have a 2020 Eagle 317RLOK on order so I have been giving this some thought. While we will be storing inside, I was wondering if anyone had given any thought to applying/re-applying clear coat to the cap while it is new. I am not talking about rattle can clear coat but honest to goodness automotive grade clear coat. I understand the hazards of applying this type of material and also am concerned that a "good" clearcoat may not be compatible with the factory applied material resulting in bubbling. Anyone given thought towards this end?

IFF
IFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:20 AM   #2

I am going to be adding a clear vinyl done by a professional graphics company. The vinyl comes in 30 inch long rolls. So for $450.00 you can have them install the full 30 inches or just the amount where the sun hits the cap the most (depends on the angle of your cap). I am going with 20 inches from the top of the cap down. Comes with a five year warranty.

Before doing the vinyl graphics I used Meguiars Oxidation Remover (followed the three step process. Directions are on the back of Meguiars Oxidation Remover ) then Meguiars High Gloss Polish and then the Meguiars Wax with a buffer and I did two coats.

Getting the vinyl graphics done on Monday. I will post after photos on Tuesday.

Here are before photos. The full cap photo shows the Oxidation at the top. Partial cap photo shows results of the three step process using the Meguiars products.

MarkoClick image for larger version

Name:	20190710_073713.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	52283Click image for larger version

Name:	20190605_090639.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	52284
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:29 AM   #3
IFF

Marko,

I assume you bought your trailer new. Would you have done anything different, if could do it again, to help keep it from oxidizing knowing what you know now? Thank you.

IFF
(Isaac Family Farms)
IFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #4

I think storing it inside is a big key to no fading. That and cleaning bugs off in a timely fashion and good coats of wax will be all you need to do.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #5

I would of added at least 14 inches of the clear vinyl right after I took delivery. I don't have the option to store it indoors.

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #6

From the time we purchased our 2018 312RSTS in April of 2018 it lived under a shed. Except when we are camping. I wax the whole RV at least twice a year and the front cap gets it probably four times a year. I put a mesh screen across the front of the shed to further protect the RV. The front of the shed faces West and the evening sun here in Alabama is brutal! I have been reading a lot lately about the fading problems with the front cap. Mine shows no sign of fading yet. We have about 9 months left on the original warranty. My concern now is if there is a problem with the finish on the front cap mine isn't going to show up until after the warranty has expired because I am trying to protect it as much as I can. So is this front cap fade something that almost everyone is experiencing or just some? I just don't want to be stuck with a known problem that I have kept from showing up because I have a shed.
georam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by georam1 View Post
My concern now is if there is a problem with the finish on the front cap mine isn't going to show up until after the warranty has expired because I am trying to protect it as much as I can. So is this front cap fade something that almost everyone is experiencing or just some? I just don't want to be stuck with a known problem that I have kept from showing up because I have a shed.

Exactly why I would wax the cap 2x a year as maintenance and if the cap is going to oxidize it will hopefully start to bleed out before the 2 year warranty expires. I would not cover it. Mine stated within the first 6 months, on the very top. I had to look close to see that it was starting to oxidize as they were very small patches and unless you looked at it with the proper light, they did not show.

After a few months, the spots started spreading faster.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote