Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #1

Question Problem with Electric start on Water heater on 2016 Northpoint 377

Were on our initial camping experience with our new 2016 Northpoint 377. We love it so far but have experienced our first issue - the switch on the inside control panel to turn of the water heater electrically does not work. All other electrical systems seem to be working so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the shore connect. We have to turn on the water heater using the propane to get hot water. Can anyone advise what might be the problem. The switch doesn't light up (red) as it did when we did the PDI. During the PDI, the service person said we don't have to do any lighting of pilot lights etc so stumped at this point in time. Help!
DHARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Many rv wh's have a on/off switch outside in the wh to prevent someone from turning it on when water the tank is drained. Make sure both are on.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

Sorry to be so ignorant - new to Rving. what is wh?
Also, I didn't turn any switch off when we closed it down after the PDI. Looks like I have a DSI system. All I've read so far in other forum threads on water heater switches is when the propane switch is the issue. I have the opposite issue. The water heater works on propane but the inside switch when turned on for the electrical doesn't light up and doesn't heat the water.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

Did you check you electrical breakers to see if the one going to the water heater (wh) might have tripped?

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #5

Yes, it wasn't tripped
Old 06-14-2016, 08:53 PM   #6

You didn't turn it on without water in the tank did you?
Wh- water heater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

There is also an outside switch for the electric, behind the side panel door. Maybe that got bumped off somewhere along the line.... That could be why it's not working on 120v....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHARO View Post
Sorry to be so ignorant - new to Rving. what is wh?
Also, I didn't turn any switch off when we closed it down after the PDI. Looks like I have a DSI system. All I've read so far in other forum threads on water heater switches is when the propane switch is the issue. I have the opposite issue. The water heater works on propane but the inside switch when turned on for the electrical doesn't light up and doesn't heat the water.
WH means water heater.

There is an on/off switch outside behind the water heater access panel.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:26 AM   #9

No, water in the tank two weeks ago and didn't drain it when it went to storage. I can't find the on/off switch inside the door. Will check again tomorrow morning.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:12 AM   #10
Site Team

No need to apologize. My fault for using rv shorthand for water heater.

I think that switch may have been operated off. Be careful not to turn the wh on for any length of time with out water in it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:48 AM   #11

If you have a fireplace, make sure the toggle switch is set to water heater. A lot of RV's that have a fireplace have a toggle switch (like a light switch with a neutral setting) to keep from using both units at the same time and drawing too much power.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #12

I have looked all over the compartment of the WH and can't find any on/off switch. Can anyone elaborate more on where this switch may be on the 377?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #13

Any idea on where this toggle switch may be?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #14

OK, it looks like the electric is working on the water heater after all. We thought it wasn't because the switch inside the panel didn't turn red like it does when you push the switch for propane use of the water heater. Can someone confirm that the red light does not light up on the electric switch when turned on and that the red light is suppose to stay on when on propane use? I was reviewing some youtube training videos on the atwood wh and one guy said only if it stayed on would it be a problem. Thanks
Old 06-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #15

On my 19RD:
The light on the control panel comes on and stays on whenever I select electric or propane heat for the water heater.
Electric heating of hot water is MUCH slower than propane
Electric heating only works when connected to shore power or a running genset (even though the light is on).

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #16

Water pump, WH electric, WH gas all light up for me
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:46 AM   #17

The light on my panel stays on as long as the switch is on. As Mike said, electric is MUCH slower than propane so it may indeed be working and it's simply the light on the panel is the problem.

Out of curiosity, how did you confirm it was working? Once hot, the water in the tank stays hot for several hours so are you sure you got hot water from the electric and not residual from heating it with propane?
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHARO View Post
OK, it looks like the electric is working on the water heater after all. We thought it wasn't because the switch inside the panel didn't turn red like it does when you push the switch for propane use of the water heater. Can someone confirm that the red light does not light up on the electric switch when turned on and that the red light is suppose to stay on when on propane use? I was reviewing some youtube training videos on the atwood wh and one guy said only if it stayed on would it be a problem. Thanks
The fact that the water heater IS working on electric I suspect you have a loose wire on the back of that wall switch. There are a lot of wires going to that switch panel and when I had the same problem as you I carefully removed that panel and easily worked all of the wires out of the wall. I found one wire from the water heater switch wasn't hooked to anything and also found a wire coming from the wall that wasn't hooked up either. I hooked them together and no problems since. It is possible you have a switch with a non-functioning light also. Easy to replace if that is the problem.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #19

My wife thought it was working all along. So to test out her theory we shut off the propane switch and turned on the electric switch. That was 3 days ago. With 2 grandkids
along and multiple showers since, we still have hot water. I'm not thinking Ed is right - loose wire connection somewhere. I'll add this to the list of things the dealer can check out when we are finished with this first trip. Knock on wood, so far, no other problems. We love this rig so far.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:28 AM   #20

So I think I'm having something similar with my 2018 377RLBH. I left this mroning and turned the electric switch off and return I returned this evening to turn the electric WH back on the light didn't come on. The water is still hot 24 hours after showering so I think it's actually heating. I wondering if the light went out on the switch. Does anyone know the part number for a replacement switch? Picture below.

I believe this is the 10 gallon Atwood unit.
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote