Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #1

Problems starting to mount up.

We are on our 2nd excursion and are encountering issues that are starting to pile up:

-Furnace not working
-Water pump is getting louder and vibrating
-Microwave will display a "Turntable off" message all by itself and will sometimes display the same message when we are turning off the microwave light
-Developed a leak while it was raining at the bottom of one of the front slideouts
-Shower track leaks out water under neath of itself

Our unit is brand new and we certainly didn't expect this kind of poor quality. Is this normal our do we have a lemon?
Old 09-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't think it's a lemon, just some things showing up that your warranty will fix. Compared to some others issues, not severe. Let your dealer take care of them for you.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #3

A few problems with a new rv are to be expected. Nobody likes that, but it seems to be the norm in this industry now. Within 6-8 months, everything that is going to go wrong, should have gone wrong. Take it in and have everything fixed under warranty. If problems continue to arise after that point, you should start becoming worried.
I had two pieces of interior trim come loose, and the fan in the range hood quit working. Had those fixed under warranty and have been trouble free since.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #4

This is my list of issues I have noted this summer. I am dropping off on Oct 11 for warranty work to be completed.

1. Gray/Black tank valve seeps past the gate. After dumping at a campground, and we leave and get home, I leave my clear elbow on so I can see in there. It fills up and dumps out when the cap is taken off. I purchased a twist on gate valve to stop this from filling and dumping on me when I go to hook up. It works, but I think the main valve is bad. ( I see other people on the Jayco groups forums with this model have the same issue)

2. Awning sags a lot in the middle. I know its 21' long, but it doesn't seem to have any tension, leaving a big saggy area. Also on the awning, when opening all the way, the flap that hangs down almost ends up on the top, so I am not sure if it was put on wrong. I have to close it up a bit so it is vertical, which the sag is worse.

3. The shower door at the base is not silicone enough so water ends up under the track.

4. Shower enclosure feels very soft near the drain.

5. Bathroom floor is very creaky. Leveled or not, it creaks.

6. Main living quarters slide seems to struggle at times closing and opening. Its very squeaky when opening and closing.

7. Outside fridge doesn't get very cold. When its been on for days at the coldest setting, it only gets to about 42 degrees for the coldest.

8. Hot water heater doesn't keep water hot while on propane. It will turn on to start but after sitting for hours and you try to use hot water it comes out Luke warm and the pilot doesn't relight to maintain temp. I am forced to use electric hot water element. I found that the gas wont light unless the door to the hot water heater on the outside is open.(Almost like there is an air restriction)

9. Toilet doesn't hold water in the basin after flushing. It seeps down leaving it empty. I actually watched this happen. Toilet seat is crooked, and I noticed there is a broken support under the seat causing it to bend.

10. All speakers sound terrible. Outside speakers are not usable as you cant turn them up without crackling. This just may be the nature of them, but they all sound like they are blown.

11. Bathroom vent leaks when open and its raining out. It leaks down the sides to the floor and puddles. This happens when the rain isn't even coming down hard. It concerns me because if the vent is open, and we leave the camper, and it starts raining, we will come home to a puddle on the floor.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post

1. Gray/Black tank valve seeps past the gate. After dumping at a campground, and we leave and get home, I leave my clear elbow on so I can see in there. It fills up and dumps out when the cap is taken off. I purchased a twist on gate valve to stop this from filling and dumping on me when I go to hook up. It works, but I think the main valve is bad. ( I see other people on the Jayco groups forums with this model have the same issue)

2. Awning sags a lot in the middle. I know its 21' long, but it doesn't seem to have any tension, leaving a big saggy area. Also on the awning, when opening all the way, the flap that hangs down almost ends up on the top, so I am not sure if it was put on wrong. I have to close it up a bit so it is vertical, which the sag is worse.
Your grey/black water issue is probably do to residual water laying in the pipes which drains when your bouncing down the road.

Also IIRC both CAREFREE and DOMETIC recommend a center rafter on anything over 15 ft and they have always been an after market product.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #6

Ive never experienced the black/gray issue in any other TT I have owned.
Id put the center rafter, but I cant find it in black, and I think if I got a white one, and painted, it would scratch up

My Mods Page
Old 09-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

4. Shower enclosure feels very soft near the drain

Open the access panel below the shower pan and take a measurement and cut a short piece of 2x4 and a little bit of Liquid Nail and wedge it in place and that will fix the flex.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #8

I dont think I have an access panel at the floor. Its a corner shower unit. No tub

My Mods Page
Old 09-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #9

Similiar problems with our 2017 29.5 BHDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
This is my list of issues I have noted this summer. I am dropping off on Oct 11 for warranty work to be completed.

One of my valves leaks also... think/hope it is one of the grey water tanks.

Our awning sags also... do you know if they will add the additional "rafter" as part of warranty?

3. The shower door at the base is not silicone enough so water ends up under the track.

4. Shower enclosure feels very soft near the drain.
Our shower base is also very soft...expect to accidently put a heel through it some day

5. Bathroom floor is very creaky. Leveled or not, it creaks.
Our upper hallway, and main cabin floor also creak...

6. Main living quarters slide seems to struggle at times closing and opening. Its very squeaky when opening and closing.
My main slide also struggles when closing... and it "cocks" quite a bit when opening or closing...guessing almost 2" out of parallel as it goes in or out..

7. Outside fridge doesn't get very cold. When its been on for days at the coldest setting, it only gets to about 42 degrees for the coldest.

8. Hot water heater doesn't keep water hot while on propane. It will turn on to start but after sitting for hours and you try to use hot water it comes out Luke warm and the pilot doesn't relight to maintain temp. I am forced to use electric hot water element. I found that the gas wont light unless the door to the hot water heater on the outside is open.(Almost like there is an air restriction)
When we have the HW on electric and gas, the gas burner will often cycle on, even if we have not used HW for quite some time.

9. Toilet doesn't hold water in the basin after flushing. It seeps down leaving it empty. I actually watched this happen. Toilet seat is crooked, and I noticed there is a broken support under the seat causing it to bend.

10. All speakers sound terrible. Outside speakers are not usable as you cant turn them up without crackling. This just may be the nature of them, but they all sound like they are blown.

11. Bathroom vent leaks when open and its raining out. It leaks down the sides to the floor and puddles. This happens when the rain isn't even coming down hard. It concerns me because if the vent is open, and we leave the camper, and it starts raining, we will come home to a puddle on the floor.
Additional problems we have experienced:
- I can't necessarily verify this, but I think that when the trailer is on even ground, with the landing gear down and rear stabilizers are down, and it reads level (by checking the rear bumper), that when I extend out the sliders, I think the trailer tips a bit in that direction...
- I am concerned about the longevity of the drive mechanism on the landing gear... it often sounds like it is straining. Additionally, I think that the drivers side strut, it tilted in a degree or two...
- The Queen size mattress that came on the forward cabin bed, was very firm and of poor quality. We replaced that before our first trip.
- I won't get into the thin wall panels and under sized supports under the beds, etc.... very light duty.
- Don't know if anyone has tried using the folding couch/bed... it is very un-even with gaps. To use it, will need to add a thick foam mattress pad on top of it.
- Has anyone tried opening the Kitchen grey water sewer valve, with the slider out? impossible with out crawling on your stomach... I actually made a handle with a hook on the end of it, to be able to reach this valve... poor design.
- The screen door will not seal against the door frame... it is bowed out about 1/2" at the top and tight at the bottom....

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
- I am concerned about the longevity of the drive mechanism on the landing gear... it often sounds like it is straining. Additionally, I think that the drivers side strut, it tilted in a degree or two...

The single motor Atwood landing gear Lippert installs on these fifth wheel frames is completely inadequate for the job. That has been the one thing that has dissatisfied me the most about my three year old Eagle Premier. Under warranty, they replaced the gear box (twice), the motor, and both legs. It still sucks.

Within the next month, I will be installing Ultrafab's dual motor landing gear setup on my camper. It will set me back $500 bucks, but I shouldn't have to ever worry about my landing gear again.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #11

Thanks for everyone chiming in, it makes me feel a little bit more comfortable. The real comfort level will come after all is fixed and stays that way.

I feel the same way about the front landing gear, not nearly stout enough for what it is lifting.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadam View Post
Thanks for everyone chiming in, it makes me feel a little bit more comfortable. The real comfort level will come after all is fixed and stays that way.

I feel the same way about the front landing gear, not nearly stout enough for what it is lifting.

This is what I'll be ordering to replace mine. I intended to do it a year ago, but I had a wedding (my daughter's) to get behind me first. That wedding is now behind me and I am now free to spend a few bucks.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...17-943010.html
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
4. Shower enclosure feels very soft near the drain

Open the access panel below the shower pan and take a measurement and cut a short piece of 2x4 and a little bit of Liquid Nail and wedge it in place and that will fix the flex.
Thanks. Good to know. We are on our second weekend using our camper. I mentioned the soft shower floor to my husband which he noticed too. . He now has a new "honey please do." I also found the same issue with the bathroom foor.

We bought ours used - 2015 27 dsrl. After leaving it plugged in with slides out in the backyard during a very rainy month, we had no issues. My guess is the previous owner fixed all the warranty items. We are two hours from the dealer so we did not want to haul it for warranty work.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #14

Owning an rv of any kind, from any manufacturer, will always have "issues". They can be blamed on "poor quality" or not but they will always be there...better get used to it .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #15

Amen. I was once told, expect for something each trip to go wrong and you will not be disappointed.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #16

And....we get what we pay for. If we wanted a top end trailer, we would have had to pay at least 2X the price. Our trailer is a good value for the $$. ��
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelCool View Post
Thanks. Good to know. We are on our second weekend using our camper. I mentioned the soft shower floor to my husband which he noticed too. . He now has a new "honey please do." I also found the same issue with the bathroom foor.

We bought ours used - 2015 27 dsrl. After leaving it plugged in with slides out in the backyard during a very rainy month, we had no issues. My guess is the previous owner fixed all the warranty items. We are two hours from the dealer so we did not want to haul it for warranty work.
As far as I know the warranty on a Jayco is not transferable from the first owner.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
As far as I know the warranty on a Jayco is not transferable from the first owner.
You are correct. It is not transferable. We were buying new but the dealer got this unit the same day on a trade. The price difference was too good to turn down. It was like new. We knew what to look for because of prior RV's. We checked every inch of flooring, windows, appliances etc. (didn't check the shower floor). So far no issues. We had a little trim in the bedroom that was loose. We did replace the tires with new 14" load D. They had very little wear but my husband wanted these tires.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #19
Site Team

Great. Some buy a new to them rig and think that because it's less than 2 years old that the warranty is still in effect.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 01:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Owning an rv of any kind, from any manufacturer, will always have "issues". They can be blamed on "poor quality" or not but they will always be there...better get used to it .
X2

Wine a bit, you'll feel better!
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote