Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Problems winterizing..

So we closed our 2014 375BHFS for the winter, and all went well right up until I turned the water closet valves to pump antifreeze through the system. I set the two water closet valves to 2 and 4 (Winterize/Sanitize) and turned on the pump. Ran it for maybe 30 seconds and noticed it had not pulled anything from the jug. Thinking I might have an air lock, I tried opening the cold and hot water side of my outside shower, and still nothing. After fumbling with it for 20 or so minutes, I ended up pulling the line loose where it connects to the back side of the water valve, and stuck the hose down in the jog and it immediately started pulling antifreeze.
I'm going to call Jayco Service tomorrow, but does anyone have any ideas what would prevent it from flowing through the valve?

Thanks,
Jrmay
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #2

A bad multi valve "maybe"! Possibly the pump isnt quite strong enough to siphon thru the check valve. Either way, what you did is fine. I never use that clunky valve at work. I always blow air thru the valve in "city" position. Then I find the pump, and run the siphon hose directly to the "intake" on the pump, and introduce the goods from there.
TIM
qwed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Site Team

I have found that my pump runs slower when used just on battery, especially if it's not fully charged to begin with. As a result, there's less suction. On one occasion, the pump would only draw the antifreeze so far up the suction hose and stop. I didn't have shore power available, so I inserted a funnel in the end of the suction hose, held the hose up straight and slowly poured the antifreeze into the hose to prefill it. Then, removed the funnel, held my thumb over the opening and as quickly as I could, removed my thumb at the bottle's mouth and inserted the hose into the antifreeze bottle. This primed the pump and pulled the antifreeze easily from the bottle.

Because water pumps draw a lot of electrical power, I always try to be plugged in to shore power when I winterize to ensure there is maximum power for the pump.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #4

FPMIII

Thanks for the reply, but I was hooked up to shore power.

Jrmay
Old 10-15-2014, 05:48 AM   #5

Did you try the sanitize position as this is the same function with drawing in via the pump? Mine works under sanitizing as I have not winterized yet, but if you are using that hose provide by Jayco you need to add a hose clamp for it to work best. I would also check that you are not sucking air just behind the panel where the fitting is. Anywhere air can get in it will greatly reduce the priming function of the pump when dry.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #6

I have the same problem. Even tried reversing the inlet screen so that it engages the check valve so the pump doesn't have to overcome the resistance of the check valve spring. Still would not suck antifreeze on its own. Finally I bought the Camco winterizing kit. It has a valve and threaded adapter that I didn't need but also included is a 30" hose with a fitting that will screw onto the inlet side of your pump. Easy-peasy after that. I just remove the inlet side hose, attach the 30" hose to the inlet side of the pump, stick the tube into the jug of antifreeze then follow the usual winterizing directions. Note: Make sure ALL faucets and valves are CLOSED before you turn the pump on. Could have sworn I did, but the shower valves were wide open. Thought it was taking a long time to pressurize the system. Assumed it was because the lines were full of air. One gallon later I decided I better check. Shower faucets wide open and everything stored in the shower drenched in antifreeze. Close faucets and grab gallon 2 of antifreeze. Repeat procedure. Worked much better!!!! Took 2 gallons to flush all lines with enough to pour into toilet and sink traps. Didn't have to pour any into the shower drain. I'm pretty sure there was plenty in there already!![emoji12]
Tpratt83687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #7

3'senough,

I attempted to move the valves to each of the positions, and the only position where it pulled anything from the jug was position 1 & 4, and unfortunately all that did was pump almost a gallon of antifreeze into my holding tank before I realized what was going on.
I'm waiting on a call back from Jayco, but may end up doing what Tpratt83687 has done and buy an end that will screw on the water pump and a short piece of hose and just winterize this way. We leave ours at a seasonal site, so I will probably end up having to winterize at least a handful of times, so this may be easier in the long run.
I'm thinking that I may have a faulty valve though because prior to running antifreeze, I have a small air compressor that I use to blow all of the lines clear of water. When I was unable to get any suction, I reconnected my blowout tool to the fresh water intake side, and while in the "winterization mode" (2 and 4) I was not even able to blow air through the water pump. I only ran the pressure up to about 50psi, but I would think that would be plenty of pressure to open any check valves?

Thanks,
Jrmay
Old 10-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #8

Got it. I have one of those left over from my TT and it works well. You could mount with a Tee to connect and leave connected between the panel and the pump, then you can just get to it from the filter panel and flip the valve when you need to winterize. I have about 3 weeks before I do mine and plan on doing the air method followed by the AF to make sure it's done. I'll advise my results.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 10-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #9

Okay so I ran into the issue of no draw on the antifreeze. It took a few minutes, but finally I opened the shower cold side and then it primed right away.

Had to do it a second time as the bucket ran dry trying to get it all the way back to the ODK faucet, plus the filter housing. Thinking of putting a by-pass in to void the canister for future winterizations.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 10-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #10

Well I usually first drain everything with the pump off and faucets open ... Thru the low point drains out under the camper. Then I open the relief valve on hot water heater and pull the lower drain plug on it and let it drain. I take the inlet side hose off the pump and put a 30 inch clear hose on the inlet with a hose clamp. I then close all faucets leaving the plug out of water heater I begin to pump antifreeze by turning the pump on for a few seconds and then turn it off and check to see that a little antifreeze has come out of the water heater drain... I close the water heater check valve and put plug back in it then go back in and bypass the heater. Then I turn pump back on and starting with the closest faucet run the hot and cold until they both run pink... Moving to other faucets ,shower and toilet .... And if the antifreeze jug runs out I put another on and open a faucet to get it to begin priming ... After I have run all faucets and I know I have antifreeze from running them in my j pipes I switch my pump inlet hose back to the tank inlet and call it done .... I don't think I am missing anything but I am sure someone will let you know if I am lol
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintinfool3 View Post
Well I usually first drain everything with the pump off and faucets open ... Thru the low point drains out under the camper. Then I open the relief valve on hot water heater and pull the lower drain plug on it and let it drain. I then close all faucets leaving the plug out of water heater I begin to pump antifreeze by turning the pump on for a few seconds and then turn it off and check to see that a little antifreeze has come out of the water heater drain... I close the water heater check valve and put plug back in it then go back in and bypass the heater. Then I turn pump back on and starting with the closest faucet run the hot and cold until they both run pink... Moving to other faucets ,shower and toilet .... And if the antifreeze jug runs out I put another on and open a faucet to get it to begin priming ... After I have run all faucets and I know I have antifreeze from running them in my j pipes I switch my pump inlet hose back to the tank inlet and call it done .... I don't think I am missing anything but I am sure someone will let you know if I am lol
I started much like that only followed with blowing out everything then pumping the pink through everything starting with the ODK and forward. I then went another step further and blew it all back out and into the traps and tanks. Took 4 gallons, but that is due to my expansion tank and filter holding alot upon initial prime.

The big hang up was the pump priming. Have to remember to let the pressure out on the other side to get it going.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 10-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #12

My dealer advised me to pour all of the needed antifreeze into one container and set the container up off the ground so that the pump does not have to lift the liquid as high. I just set the container in the outside storage area next to the water manifold valves- works for me.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:17 PM   #13

I goofed mine up. Didn't have filter reservoir tight and it pumped antifreeze all over the pump and area where the pump sits. Hope I didn't do any damage to all electrical connections there.