Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Progressive EMS

I found a lot of threads on installing hardwire EMS systems but haven't seen one on my model. I have a 2012 Eagle 5th wheel 321 RLTS.
I don't believe there is access where the power comes into the unit. Was hoping someone has had experience with this model
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:13 PM   #2

We have had the progressive hardwired installed on the last two fifth wheels . Even though they were both pinnacles it is basically the same. They removed the power center breaker panel and wired it in there. Then had the digital readout mounted in the closet out of site.
Hope this helps.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
We have had the progressive hardwired installed on the last two fifth wheels . Even though they were both pinnacles it is basically the same. They removed the power center breaker panel and wired it in there. Then had the digital readout mounted in the closet out of site.
Hope this helps.
Yes it does. Thank you.. I need to pull that out and check things out.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post

Hope this helps.
May a rookie soon to be fifth wheel owner ask why you have the digital readout in the closet out of site?
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

Mine is very visible and I look at it several times a day - how many amps is ??? using - the answer is interesting and sometimes surprising Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:11 AM   #6
Site Team

I know that my converter and fridge, combined draw 2 amps.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:27 AM   #7

On mine, the current draw isn't accurate. Seems to be ok at low amps but as the amps go up, so does the inaccuracy. Many times my display has show I'm pulling well more than the breaker would allow. My fluke amp clamp doesn't agree with the display either.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:49 AM   #8

I have a 2018 321RSTS and I installed the EMS behind the breaker panel. There was plenty of slack in the incoming power wire to allow me hook it up on the floor outside of the cabinet. Then with the wiring complete it was a simple matter to move it inside the cabinet then put the breaker panel back in place. I chose to mount the remote display for the EMS in the basement so that as soon as I connected my cord to park power I am able to check for problems without going inside.

2018 Eagle 321RSTS
2014 F350 SRW 6.7l
Yorktown, VA
bwbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:39 AM   #9

Just a matter of preference. I just didn't want the red light visible. I mainly look at it when I 1st hook up then only if I have problems I read the error code. That has only happened once.
Philbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #10

My trailer is tight too for a HW EMS installation.. I went with the progressive portable. I has the same exact features as the HW version..
Old 03-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #11

I have the 291rsts and mounted it behind my breaker panel, lots of room, should be the same as yours. Mounted the remote panel just next to the breaker panel. Works great.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
I have the 291rsts and mounted it behind my breaker panel, lots of room, should be the same as yours. Mounted the remote panel just next to the breaker panel. Works great.
Thank you. I plan on pulling my panel out to check things out.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
My trailer is tight too for a HW EMS installation.. I went with the progressive portable. I has the same exact features as the HW version..
So is there a downside to the hardwired EMS?
I’ve heard people say they couldn’t stop it beeping at night. Also if it breaks down for any reason, are you now out of electricity?
If the portable one gets fried, at least you can still plug in your normal power line( you’d be unprotected, but still with power). I know why people like the HW version, but it seems there is an advantage to the portable one. Am I correct?
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
So is there a downside to the hardwired EMS?
I’ve heard people say they couldn’t stop it beeping at night. Also if it breaks down for any reason, are you now out of electricity?
If the portable one gets fried, at least you can still plug in your normal power line( you’d be unprotected, but still with power). I know why people like the HW version, but it seems there is an advantage to the portable one. Am I correct?
Personal preference is all it is. If it takes a bad hit, there is a bypass switch to provide power but unprotected. I went hardwired for all the conveniences. Always there, always protecting, no one can steal it, I won't leave it behind, I won't forget to use it, it's not in the weather, one less thing laying in my basement, I have a display of volts (amps too but not accurate) and alarm history. Surprised how often it trips to protect the trailer from low voltage or that there was a power loss while we are out exploring, neat feature of the alarm history.
I do not believe mine beeps.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #15

We have a ‘13 351 which is pretty similar. I pulled the breaker panel as others have done and removed the rear wall of the basement which gave me access to the under-stairs area next to the panel. I had plenty of room for my install.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #16

I pulled out my panel. There is room to mount it to the floor back there but not directly behind the panel. It would be very hard to access it if I needed to so I've decided to mount it in the cabinet under the sink on the partition wall between the cabinet and the space behind the panel. Much more accessible. I ordered one and it should be here Tuesday the 16th.