Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #21

We use the Surge Guard by Southwire. We bought ours a year ago but the newer ones have the remote monitoring panel for inside the rig. Very happy so far.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #22

Thanks to this thread and one other here, I bought the Watchdog EMS with Bluetooth. I was about to buy it from Amazon but thought I’d check CW instead. It was already marked down 15% making 20 bucks cheaper than Amazon. Then I entered the sales code ENDOFSUMMER and they took another 15% off. $186 shipped taxes included. Saved myself 60 bucks!
RonkoCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #23

Hi: What APC UPS unit do you use? I had used a 30AMP progressive for years but buying a 50amp 5er so I'm looking for hardwire protection.
Vfoote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:12 AM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by villui View Post
Hi: What APC UPS unit do you use? I had used a 30AMP progressive for years but buying a 50amp 5er so I'm looking for hardwire protection.
Progressive also makes a hardwired 50 amp.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #25

My 50 amp Progressive hard wired saved us while camping in AZ. It kept shutting down due to low voltage. Park Rangers came out and replaced breakers, tightened wires, etc. to make it right. Air worked just fine after that. Wouldn't be without that EMS. Money well spent.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:31 AM   #26

Just traded our 9 year old fiver for new. Took our 50amp hard wired Progressive Industries EMS out of the old trailer and wired it into the new one. With the remote display I can monitor current draw which is useful when on a 15 amp (at storage) or 30 amp connection. Helps us avoid tripping the outside breaker.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #27

Do not buy a progressive surge protector. Finally had my unit looked at and progressive said it was a surge and it is not covered. My unit was replaced for a surge before the new company took over progressive. They even made the comment to me that the old company replaced for surges but we do not. So screw them am ordering a watchdog.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Do not buy a progressive surge protector. Finally had my unit looked at and progressive said it was a surge and it is not covered. My unit was replaced for a surge before the new company took over progressive. They even made the comment to me that the old company replaced for surges but we do not. So screw them am ordering a watchdog.
Rock
Thanks for posting Rock. I was told the same thing. Luckily the one I had was just a bad LED so they replaced it. I have been posting about the Watchdog hoping people would look at it also.

Edit: Let us know how it works out.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #29

It stinks that the new company will no longer honor the old warranty. Got my unit 5 years ago and replaced once. I even told them I will pass the word not to buy there unit and they could care less. At least Watchman gives two years and has a replaceable surge module by the end user.
Rock
Old 09-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #30

Sure hate to hear that! Mine is three years old, and was highly recommended at that time! I had an issue with the remote panel, and felt I had to fight for a replacement. That was about two season ago, so perhaps the beginning of the end? After reviewing the watchdog, I’m almost envious!

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #31

I just installed the hard wired Watchdog and it has been great. Easy to monitor on the app through your phone and was a pretty easy tool install. I went with the Watchdog because of the remote monitoring from your and the replaceable surge module. I also don’t have to worry about theft with it hardwired in my basement.
Jughead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead86 View Post
I just installed the hard wired Watchdog and it has been great. Easy to monitor on the app through your phone and was a pretty easy tool install. I went with the Watchdog because of the remote monitoring from your and the replaceable surge module. I also don’t have to worry about theft with it hardwired in my basement.
Decent Bluetooth range with it? The readings seem accurate? My EMS the voltage readings were accurate at first. Now it always reads several volts low. The current readings were never accurate, read high.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #33

I am one that has nothing but good things to say about Progressive. I have the portable PT-50X. Last year I broke the plastic weather cover...my fault..and they sent me a new cover, plus the hinge. A few months ago the power cord started pulling out of the plug so that when plugged in the unit was supported only be the power wires. Sent an e-mail, they responded by telling me to fill out the warranty claim on their web page. Did that and less than a week later a brand new, in the box replacement arrived. Their quick response to each of my issues goes way beyond what most companies provide. Granted, there are limitations as to what they consider a warranty issue, but for the most part they will back up their product 100%.

My unit was almost three year old at the time of replacement...and they told me to keep it and not return it.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #34

My Progressive 30 amp portable went out 3 weeks ago. I had a brand new unit from them in 6 days. Maybe they listened to Rock and changed their ways.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkoCamper View Post
Thanks to this thread and one other here, I bought the Watchdog EMS with Bluetooth. I was about to buy it from Amazon but thought I’d check CW instead. It was already marked down 15% making 20 bucks cheaper than Amazon. Then I entered the sales code ENDOFSUMMER and they took another 15% off. $186 shipped taxes included. Saved myself 60 bucks!
On the watchdog unit, there is a metal bar near the top that I guess is used to lock it in place. Does anyone have a picture of it locked and secured to the something?

It’s my first time using it. Walking through th campground, I see many such units but none appear secured.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #36

This morning, My wife plugged in her hair dryer in the same outlet as the coffee pot causing the breaker in the panel to trip. The Watchdog noticed the overload and “tripped” the breaker. The hair dryer stop and the circuit went dead. I got an overload alert on my phone. I had her unplug the coffee pot. I simply reset the Watchdog on the phone and we she was back in business.

Too funny!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #37

Watchdog is working great and the range is really good. That metal ring is to put a cable thru and lock it to something. Pretty lame that progressive will replace there units for everything but a surge. So if yours gets zapped tell em the cord pulled loose or display bad, tell them anything but a surge got it.
Rock
Old 09-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #38

Progressive made in USA.

I bought the Progressive hardwired version. It seems to work fine, but I'll double check those lugs in a few months. I always tighten them until 1/4 turn before they break. Found one loose connection on the Jayco panel while installing.
Very disappointed to find that it was assembled in Mexico, even though they advertise "Made in USA". Would have bought the Watchdog if I'd known that. Next one will be pedestal plug, after reading these comments.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Decent Bluetooth range with it? The readings seem accurate? My EMS the voltage readings were accurate at first. Now it always reads several volts low. The current readings were never accurate, read high.

Earl
Yes, the readings appear to be very accurate. I have a 50 amp and it reads both legs and gives me the amps for each.

The Bluetooth range is ok. It works in and around the camper but loses connection with 25 feet of the trailer. This work fine for me now. I plan to eventually install a hot spot in the trailer where I can monitor the Watchdog and temps, etc. remotely. it will give us some peace of mind as we travel with 2 dogs.
Jughead86 is offline   Reply With Quote