Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2020, 12:05 AM   #1

Propane automatic changeover regulator failure

I've been full timing in my 2020 Jayco Eagle 355MBQS for just over 2 months and ran into an issue with the propane automatic changeover regulator, model 6020. The supply tank ran out of propane and instead of it automatically switching over to the reserve tank, i lost all propane (fridge, water heater, stove didn't run on propane setting). Both tanks were completely open. I tried manually switching the tank selector valve on the regulator, but propane did not flow. I tried a few things, but the only way i could get propane to work was by swapping the empty tank with the full one. Since the regulator is only 2 months old i didn't think it went bad, maybe it's just defective. Has anyone else ran into this issue?
Cujonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:03 AM   #2

We're on our second regulator and hoses. They are cheap and fail. So get a new one and check the hoses. Ours were replaced by the dealer. Call Jayco and tell them. There may be a dealer close to you. If you have to buy on get it in brass. Yours is probably plastic. We used to carry a spare regulator but not anymore since Amazon. They fail and have to be replaced.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
We're on our second regulator and hoses. They are cheap and fail.
That's a shame, part of me was hoping i just did something wrong. Thanks for the advice, I'll check the hoses and pick up a new regulator, probably a different brand.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #4

Exact same problem for me with my 2020 FBOK. Jayco told me to take it to dealership to have it evaluated. No thanks. I'll replace it myself for $50 and save myself the headache of having it sit at the dealership for weeks. Tried to find the manufacturer to contact them directly but no luck.

Karl
2020 Eagle 336 FBOK
2020 GMC 3500 AT4 Duramax
Ocean View, DE
Kkjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Look for a Marshall brand changeover regulator. They are good.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:38 AM   #6

I rid my camper of the automatic changeover and only have one tank in service at a time. When it goes empty I simply move the regulator to the other tank. I always know when I have a tank that needs filling.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 05:46 AM   #7

That's what I will do when my valve goes bad.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
I rid my camper of the automatic changeover and only have one tank in service at a time. When it goes empty I simply move the regulator to the other tank. I always know when I have a tank that needs filling.
X2 on that.
It may be a little less convenient, but you can't ignore it...
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:44 AM   #9

There is also a shut-off valve built into the pigtail. If the valve is opened too quickly the valve will close and give the symptoms you describe.
Unscrewing the pigtail may reset the valve or it may need a little coaxing. A tech in a propane shop suggested rapping the pigtail against the tank gently a couple of times to reset the valve.
Moving the tanks put the full tank with a working pigtail.

Jus sayin it's something to check before you start spending $$

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
There is also a shut-off valve built into the pigtail. If the valve is opened too quickly the valve will close and give the symptoms you describe.
Unscrewing the pigtail may reset the valve or it may need a little coaxing. A tech in a propane shop suggested rapping the pigtail against the tank gently a couple of times to reset the valve.
Moving the tanks put the full tank with a working pigtail.

Jus sayin it's something to check before you start spending $$
Thank you Redhorse1! I removed the pigtail from the automatic changeover device and found the check valve on the pigtail. I tried banging it against the tank as suggested but that did not work so I took the check valve apart and reassembled. It's just a screen, ball bearing and a spring. Reassembled everything and the automatic changeover device now works! Saved me $50 on a new auto changeover device and some headaches because the new changeover device would not have worked either.

Let me now if you're ever in the Ocean View, DE area and I'll provide the cocktails. Thanks again, Karl

Karl
2020 Eagle 336 FBOK
2020 GMC 3500 AT4 Duramax
Ocean View, DE
Kkjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #11

Yes I learned the hard way to open the valves real slow. If opened quickly the rush of gas fools that safety valve into thinking a line has ruptured and it shuts. Fooled me too. Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Yes I learned the hard way to open the valves real slow. If opened quickly the rush of gas fools that safety valve into thinking a line has ruptured and it shuts. Fooled me too. Angus
Yup, that's why I have a "spare" pigtail.

Karl, Glad that was the problem. See you soon in Ocean View!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #13

The last time I bought a pigtail, it was straight thru, no check valve. I thought the tank had the excess flow control valve
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riich View Post
Since they're so prone to breaking, that's not a bad idea.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:16 AM   #15

The winntec that they use now are made in China and are junk. Mine on my 2021 Whitehawk only lasted a few months. My dealer warrantied and gave me a Marshall Excelsior to replace it with. These are made in USA and are great. my 2008 32FKS had this one and never gave a moments trouble. I suggest getting one of these model MEGR-253
Rosims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:47 AM   #16

WARNING! Replace pigtails, too!

I bought the Marshall auto changeover, have not installed it. Waiting for American made pigtails to go with it. I'm not waiting for the recall to happen, as we will be on the road then. My dealer won't do it until the letter comes out. I'm sure by then there will be none available anywhere.

So I have been having an ongoing issue with a slight gas smell when I open the tank door. I have tested every joint many times, no leaks. But this time I was spraying the joints with soapy water and a fly landed on a pigtail hose. I sprayed the fly with soap, and.... The hose started bubbling. This is a 2.5 year old hose with a smooth surface- no visible cracks. But it was leaking in spiral bands most of the length of the hose. Don't go by looks, test the hoses too.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:36 AM   #17

I didn't wait either and the service center confirmed leaking before they replaced everything. I'm keeping the receipts for when the recall comes in.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #18
Site Team

Purchase a electronic LP leak detector. I carry it with me and it will pinpoint a leak quickly with no soapy mess.

https://www.amazon.com/Techamor-Y201...6460458&sr=8-5
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:54 AM   #19

All

Jayco just issued a recall on this regulator.

https://www.rvtravel.com/87000-jayco...ane-fire-risk/
Reese Goosebox
Pammac36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:43 AM   #20

You're the guy I need to talk to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkjayco View Post
Thank you Redhorse1! I removed the pigtail from the automatic changeover device and found the check valve on the pigtail. I tried banging it against the tank as suggested but that did not work so I took the check valve apart and reassembled. It's just a screen, ball bearing and a spring. Reassembled everything and the automatic changeover device now works! Saved me $50 on a new auto changeover device and some headaches because the new changeover device would not have worked either.

Let me now if you're ever in the Ocean View, DE area and I'll provide the cocktails. Thanks again, Karl
Karl, do you remember the order in which the spring, ball bearing and o-ring went in? I did not pay attention, because I didn't know these little parts were in there, and now I'm trying to reassemble. I'm assuming the spring is to the regulator side and then the ball bearing and then the o-ring seats in the house fitting base. Any chance that sequence is still in your memory? Thank you sir!
PtOrchardKev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
defective, propane, regulator