Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #1

Propane Management Advice

Hi Gang
Because we have generator prep in the new Pinnacle, we have three propane tanks; a single on the front starboard side and two tanks in the portside compartment.

It was only after a couple of days of randomly using one tank or another, puttering about and figuring things out, that I realized the the two tanks portside were connected with an automatic switchover valve. I then realized that I should use the two thanks first and reserve the single portside tank as my "reserve" to get me to the next gas fill.

The documentation for the switch-over valve is scant. Can I just assume that it is safe to open both top valves on the two tanks, then flip to selector to one or the other, say the aft tank, then the selector will flip to the forward tank as needed? And will it flip the red lever as a visual indicator?

We run the heating furnace on electric when hooked up at the park. Somehow I thought that I may want to keep the gas on for the water heater for faster recovery times when say, taking showers. Is that accurate? If so, I suppose I could run the water heater off electric-only when using water just for dish and hand washing. We have a laundry installation, so maybe keep the gas on for the washing machine too?

We did get that little Dometic hand-held tank sensor for measuring tank levels and hope that that well help us predict usage and refill intervals.

Lastly, we use a local gas company to fill our home tank for cooking and fireplace. Would they likely be cheaper than filling at the RV park? It would be easy to stop there next time out on the way to the next park. Our home tank lasts years between fills so I just don't have the context to estimate.

Thanks as always for any advice.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #2

I don't particularly care for the auto switch over mechanism on the propane tanks. I only open one tank at a time so I know where I stand.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I don't particularly care for the auto switch over mechanism on the propane tanks. I only open one tank at a time so I know where I stand.
X2
Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
X3
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
x2.

I will add, that I also go the additional steps of only opening the left side tank and even though the regulator is an auto switch over, I still move the selector to run off the left side tank. When that tank goes empty (Murphy's law dictates propane must go empty sometime around the middle of the night and only when it's cold or storming out so I can either freeze or get drenched when turning on the other tank), I turn the selector to the right side tank and open the right side tank valve. When I get the empty tank filled, I go through the steps to move the right tank to the left side and put the full tank on the right. This way I go back to utilizing only the left side tank.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #6

When it turns red then the side that the handle is pointing to is empty but it automatically switches to the full side. You then turn off the empty tank, remove it and get filled. Turn the handle towards the full tank and it will turn green until that tank goes empty. On my rig is it is very difficult to see if it is red or green due the placement. I bought the Mopeka tank check gauges. They can be read from a monitor or smart phone via their app. You can always monitor your tanks from inside or within several feet of the RV. No need to wonder if the tank/s' empty or will run out in the middle of the night.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracqueteer View Post
When it turns red then the side that the handle is pointing to is empty but it automatically switches to the full side. You then turn off the empty tank, remove it and get filled. Turn the handle towards the full tank and it will turn green until that tank goes empty. On my rig is it is very difficult to see if it is red or green due the placement. I bought the Mopeka tank check gauges. They can be read from a monitor or smart phone via their app. You can always monitor your tanks from inside or within several feet of the RV. No need to wonder if the tank/s' empty or will run out in the middle of the night.
I replaced the regulator on my TT with the same upgraded one that I installed on my home's propane system that operates from 2 100lb tanks. When that home system was installed a year ago to fuel our new propane range in the home, I finally learned and now understand how an auto switch over regulator works [at least the new one]. The previous post is accurate. Open both tanks with the selector pointed to the tank you select as a primary. When that tank goes empty the green flag will go red, indicating that you are now drawing from tank 2 and it is time to remove the primary and get it filled. My SOP is to fill and reinstall the empty tank but keep the selector pointed to the primary. When the new filled tanks is installed and opened, the flag should go back to green. Some like to change the switch over to the 2nd tank [flag now green] and the recently filled tank becomes the backup.

Maybe I just didn't trust the OEM regulator or ignorance on my part, I now keep both tanks open when I am actively using the RV. When at home I do close the alternate tank so that if a leak developes I don't drain both tanks and the red flag will still serve to warn me that there is a problem.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote