Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #1

Propane safety feature or crimped line?

After storing my 2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS for a few weeks with the propane shut off, part of my pre-launch checklist is to turn on the propane and light the range burners. This recharges the lines to supply propane to the refrigerator.

Yesterday I turned on the propane and tried to light the range - nada. After repeated attempts and switching to a different propane tank, still no luck. I've done this several times before and never had a problem, what's different this time? Ah -ha! The stove/refrigerator slide is in. Extended the slide and the burners lit with no problem.

My question - since the propane supply to the range was shut off with the slide retracted, is this a safety feature or was my propane line crimped?
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #2

I have the same unit, and I found that the lines were crimped at the back of the slide when it is retraced. I disconnected the lines on the arm and reattached them to allow a more gradual bend and this solved the problem. If the unit has sat for a while, I to run the stove top to prime the line for the refrigerator.

Hope this helps!
5w/wdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #3

Thanks 5w!
Old 07-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Site Team

My in slide range has flexible gas lines. No way for them to crimp. I have never heard of any safety feature limiting stove use when the slide is closed.

Sounds more like a design flaw.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My in slide range has flexible gas lines. No way for them to crimp. I have never heard of any safety feature limiting stove use when the slide is closed.

Sounds more like a design flaw.
I'll get back to you when I have a chance to get a look at the line.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5w/wdogs View Post
I have the same unit, and I found that the lines were crimped at the back of the slide when it is retraced.
Bingo! That's exactly what mine is doing. Two lines (rubber hoses) attached with zip ties to a hinged arm beneath the slide. One line apparently feeds the refrigerator and it has a slightly larger radius which causes no problem with the slide closed. The second line feeds the stove and has a slightly smaller radius, so when the slide is closed the line creases where it bends, pinching the line closed.

The problem line may be too short to reposition, so I may split a section of pleated plastic spout from an old gas can to slip over the line where it bends. Hopefully that will be enough reinforcement to prevent creasing.

We will see...
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

After some additional troubleshooting I determined there were two separate pinch points on the propane lines. One was as I described above, located near the middle of the lines where the hinged arm underneath the slide creates a sharp "V" when the slide is retracted. A second sharp bend in the lines occurs when the slide is closed, this one near the point where the lines connect to the main propane line on the trailer frame.

I had to remove a bolt from the hinged arm so that I could separate it and get the lines under the arm. This allowed me to reposition the lines below the arm rather than above it, and eliminate both sharp bends. A couple of zip ties to secure the lines in place under the arm and problem solved.

I'm guessing my slide was assembled at the factory late on a Friday afternoon. This is the same slide that stopped working a few weeks after we purchased the trailer - the wiring harness was wrapped around the slide motor shaft blocking any movement.