Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #1

Proper Jack Placement with type and size of jack

I am a new owner of a Jayco 27 ft Fifth Wheel. My dilemma is what type and size jack can I use to change a tire. Additionally, where do I place it place it? Manual says do not use the axle tube but to use the frame. If the frame is used, I don’t think I can place a jack high enough to get the tire raised. I do not have hydraulic stabilizers and wouldn’t use them if I did. My last question is, should the trailer be hitched up to the TV to raise it? Sorry for all the questions but I don’t want to be on the road and run into problems...thanks
Whammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #2

I've always just used the jack from my 2500 RAM.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #3

I carry a bottle jack for mine rated 2,500 lbs. Always err to the good side when buying a jack.

I can use some lego blocks to get the jack up to the frame. You need at least one piece of wood under the jack to spread it over the lego blocks.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
I am a new owner of a Jayco 27 ft Fifth Wheel. My dilemma is what type and size jack can I use to change a tire. Additionally, where do I place it place it? Manual says do not use the axle tube but to use the frame. If the frame is used, I don’t think I can place a jack high enough to get the tire raised. I do not have hydraulic stabilizers and wouldn’t use them if I did. My last question is, should the trailer be hitched up to the TV to raise it? Sorry for all the questions but I don’t want to be on the road and run into problems...thanks
We have a Trailer Aid that lives in the back of the truck bed when we travel. And having your truck hitched up will add stability changing a tire. If you have a flat, you're probably already hooked up to it.

Please, ask any questions you have...it's what we're here for.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #5

I wouldn’t hesitate to place my truck’s bottle jack under the spring pack at the axle just get enough lift to get the tire off. It doesn’t take much. And, yes I’d leave it on the truck.

Discount tire installed tires for me 3 years back and jacked at the axles. 3 years later there were no ill effects.

I
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:08 AM   #6

You can lift a tire by placing your jack under the spring perch (and yes, jacking on the axle tube can bend the axle). You can also use lifting aids......I make a pyramid using my "lego" levelers, then pull up on the levelers and the other axle and tire will be off the ground.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
We have a Trailer Aid that lives in the back of the truck bed when we travel. And having your truck hitched up will add stability changing a tire. If you have a flat, you're probably already hooked up to it.

Please, ask any questions you have...it's what we're here for.
Beat me to the trailer aid. We never used ours and didn't need it after adding hydraulic levelors. I gave it to my BiL when they were going to take a month long trip. He used on the 3rd day.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:40 AM   #8

I was looking at the Trailer-Aid but many reviewers claim that it won't work on trailers with leaf-spring suspension. One poster claimed that Camco flat-out told them (after the fact) that it would only work on tandem wheel rigs with torsion suspension. Pictures show that the center spring hangers simply see-saw when the one wheel goes up the ramp, leaving the other wheel firmly on the ground.

Curious if anyone here has direct experience with our type of suspension. I was planning on using lego blocks if needed, with fall back being the nice bottle jack in the truck.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #9

I have a trailer aid in my garage. Tried it twice. It becomes a projectile as I try to get up on it. I tried the LEGO block method too. 9 projectiles. Maybe I needed many more blocks for a lesser angle. All of this was on asphalt.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
I have a trailer aid in my garage. Tried it twice. It becomes a projectile as I try to get up on it. I tried the LEGO block method too. 9 projectiles. Maybe I needed many more blocks for a lesser angle. All of this was on asphalt.
You didn’t mention whether you chocked the wheels... hope so. Also, remember that you might have to raise the rig a bit higher to get the spare on. You’ll be an unhappy camper if you can’t get enough ground clearance to mount it.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
I was looking at the Trailer-Aid but many reviewers claim that it won't work on trailers with leaf-spring suspension. One poster claimed that Camco flat-out told them (after the fact) that it would only work on tandem wheel rigs with torsion suspension. Pictures show that the center spring hangers simply see-saw when the one wheel goes up the ramp, leaving the other wheel firmly on the ground.

Curious if anyone here has direct experience with our type of suspension. I was planning on using lego blocks if needed, with fall back being the nice bottle jack in the truck.

Angus
As I said never needed ours but my BiL used it shortly after I gave it to them. They have a Jayco TT and he said the Trailr Aid worked great to put on the spare.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
You didn’t mention whether you chocked the wheels... hope so. Also, remember that you might have to raise the rig a bit higher to get the spare on. You’ll be an unhappy camper if you can’t get enough ground clearance to mount it.

Kinda hard to chock the wheels when you need to roll the wheels in the first place to get up on the ramp...eh? Sorry if I missed something.

I though that there might be some kick-out with ramps and figured it would be best to screw them down to plywood plates that extend under the wheel before the ramp is engaged.

Still want to hear if the Lift from a ramp is enough for a rig with tandem leaf spring suspension. We have been static for months but now are going mobile so its things like this I'm trying to nail down on my short list.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #13

The Trailer aid worked on my BiL's Jayco TT and it has 2 axles, these only work with 2 wheels on the same side. I guess you could use on a triple axle but I don't know. I just use the manual control on my hydraulic levelors
Old 09-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Kinda hard to chock the wheels when you need to roll the wheels in the first place to get up on the ramp...eh? Sorry if I missed something...
You're absolutely right. You did miss something- chocking the wheels on the opposite side once you've positioned yourself.

I keep a 6 ton bottle jack in my TT. It's more than enough lifting capacity for my TT that's about 6,300 pounds empty and GVWR of 8,500 pounds. If I could figure out a way, I could lift the entire TT with that jack alone. And, yes, I have used the jack to make an emergency tire change when a tire blew out while traveling on I-70. A lot of wood and Lynx Levelers were required to build a platform high enough to set the jack and then lift the TT to replace the blown-out tire.

I once considered purchasing a Trailer-Aid, but I didn't like the idea of having the entire weight of one side of the TT on one tire. With a jack, the weight on the tire you're changing is on the jack, sparing the good tire from being overloaded.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote