Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones View Post
I thought I would offer a real world experience with the F150 setup you are describing. We also have the F150 in the 2017 Ecoboost 3.5, Max Tow Package, Firestone AirBags, Upgraded Nito Tires (LT, close to stock size).

We tow a GVWR 9995lb unit, 34 ft with a pro pride hitch. The experience towing this RV with this power is very impressive and comfortable with zero power deficiencies (even in the mountains).

Now, the weight in the bed.. So, I decided.. why not add a toy (2018 yamaha drive golf cart) to the travel setup. In my humble experience, I found that the 9k lb trailer with a Gross 16.7k overall and a bed and tong weight adding up to ~1500 lbs plus occupants puts the F150 at the absolute maximum safety range. However, the truck will pull, with air bags, comfortably.

I highly recommend the 5k series firestones. They make the handling much more stable when accompanied with the LT tires (50psi) on these late model F150's.

Happy Camping!
Your poor rear axle!
Old 12-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #42

Do yourself a big favor and opt for a 350. At some point down the road, if you go with a 250, you will want to upgrade. Do not try to pull a 5th wheel of that size with any 150.
First Time Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Ton Heavy View Post
mwcotton, have you actually needed the manual slider? If I were to get the fifth, my plan is the Andersen Ultimate, with the gooseball setup. Saves over a 100 lbs.

Half Ton Heavy,

I can comment on the slider hitch also. I have a Chevrolet with a 6'7" bed. I chose a slider since I was "told" I would need it. Haven't used it or needed it other than to test it out the first trip home. See my sig for details.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #44

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones View Post
I thought I would offer a real world experience with the F150 setup you are describing. We also have the F150 in the 2017 Ecoboost 3.5, Max Tow Package, Firestone AirBags, Upgraded Nito Tires (LT, close to stock size).

We tow a GVWR 9995lb unit, 34 ft with a pro pride hitch. The experience towing this RV with this power is very impressive and comfortable with zero power deficiencies (even in the mountains).

Now, the weight in the bed.. So, I decided.. why not add a toy (2018 yamaha drive golf cart) to the travel setup. In my humble experience, I found that the 9k lb trailer with a Gross 16.7k overall and a bed and tong weight adding up to ~1500 lbs plus occupants puts the F150 at the absolute maximum safety range. However, the truck will pull, with air bags, comfortably.

I highly recommend the 5k series firestones. They make the handling much more stable when accompanied with the LT tires (50psi) on these late model F150's.

Happy Camping!
Looking at the weight I believe that is one of the RVs I'm looking at - Reflection 297RSTS. If I'm correct tell me about you experience in that RV, if you don't mind. Looks like the outside kitchen is really nice.
Thanks
kirbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbsd View Post
Looking at the weight I believe that is one of the RVs I'm looking at - Reflection 297RSTS. If I'm correct tell me about you experience in that RV, if you don't mind. Looks like the outside kitchen is really nice.
Thanks
His GD looks to be a bumper pull not a 5er. We looked at both the north point and the GD solitude( I realize its a grade above what your looking at) and we felt as far as quality the two trailers are really close, we swayed to Jayco for the warranty(not sure there’s really much difference when it’s all weighed out) and the three propane tanks. I think they are both very comparable in quality.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringneks View Post
His GD looks to be a bumper pull not a 5er. We looked at both the north point and the GD solitude( I realize its a grade above what your looking at) and we felt as far as quality the two trailers are really close, we swayed to Jayco for the warranty(not sure there’s really much difference when it’s all weighed out) and the three propane tanks. I think they are both very comparable in quality.
True - I've been looking at both, deciding which would be better to pull and offer the best for traveling. Never owned an RV so wanting one that is a better to travel with. The 5th wheel seems to me to be more stable but I've never pulled either, just a pontoon. If I bought a trailer then I would have a sway bar attachment. Any advice on either is helpful. Thanks
Old 12-21-2018, 07:07 AM   #47

Kirbsd - I have owned a 27' travel trailer and now a 31' 5th wheel. on the road, there is no comparison on how the 5th wheel does not wag, or sway while being passed on the road. My travel trailer was easier to operate and get into smaller spots though, and I could have kept my F150 too.

Just depends what you want.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:56 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by citgodan View Post
Kirbsd - I have owned a 27' travel trailer and now a 31' 5th wheel. on the road, there is no comparison on how the 5th wheel does not wag, or sway while being passed on the road. My travel trailer was easier to operate and get into smaller spots though, and I could have kept my F150 too.

Just depends what you want.
Thanks. Starting off I might go the same way, and if we find that we really enjoy the RV then we can look at getting something else down the road.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #49

f-150

after all the truth of respondents here, your fancy 20" wheels and tires are going to have you squirming all over the road.
Please, if you're gonna pull a 5th wheel, buy a truck built to pull it...I'm just sayn'.
aa7gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #50

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa7gs View Post
after all the truth of respondents here, your fancy 20" wheels and tires are going to have you squirming all over the road.
Please, if you're gonna pull a 5th wheel, buy a truck built to pull it...I'm just sayn'.
Good point, but I just bought the truck with the 3.5 turbo, 3.55 axle and fancy 20" tires. Wasn't sure about the RV but looking to get good advice from folks that have F150 and are pulling either trailer or 5th wheel and what their experience. IF we really get into RVing down the road then I'll buy a bigger truck for the RV I want.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #51

I am pulling a Jayco HT 27.5 with a GMC Sierra 1500 with 11,000# capacity using Pullrite slider hitch and Moride pin box. I too thought I would need the next size PU, however, checking all the weights and after traveling 8,000 miles this past summer through out the mountains in the west, I am now assured there is NO need for the larger truck. 1/2 truck did great with HT trailer.
bbatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #52

Its all great till something happens. You can drink and drive for years and until you get caught or in a accident its no big deal, right? (being sarcastic here) Being over on your weight limits/capabilities doesnt relive you from being held accountable for your ignorance to the trucks capability.

Lawyers make tons of money off people that dont follow the rules. There is virtually no 1/2 ton truck that is legally able to tow a 5th wheel ................ period.

You show me a CAT scale with your truck and a picture of the trucks B pillar placards and the trailers placard and then I will believe you. It can happen but is so remote its very unlikely unless your in a single cab, 2 wheel drive with Max Tow package and Max Payload package and a very small light pin weight 5er..
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #53

Here's Winnebago's answer to a HT towable FW:

2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #54

Smile

That proves Jim Smith wrong.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #55

Dad always taught me "If you can't do it right, don't do it" He also taught "take care of your equipment and your equipment will take care of you"

First of all Sure, a 1/2 ton will pull it with no problem........what about stopping? What about when you have to make a emergency evasive move?

Second: you're putting a lot of stress on a 1/2 ton by "being on the edge" I want my $40-55K investment to be treated right and used the way it was intended........not pushed to the limit.

Half tons are great for lighter weight TT's, not intended for fiver's. Most truck sales people don't know their product well enough to recommend the right truck for your needs.
Many RV sales people will tell and sell anything they can...............they don't their product well enough either.

Better too much truck than "close enough"
It's your family you're hauling.............you owe it to them to have a safe capable rig.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringneks View Post
That proves Jim Smith wrong.
Doesnt prove that at all. I bet his platium would still be over on payload and maybe even rear axle weight even with the toy 5th wheel in the example. Cant believe these trailer manufacterors do such a injustice and set so many people up for failure with advertiseing them as half ton towables. Wont be long before some greasey NY Lawyer sues them and wins because of the false advertising. Hey its your risk and your money and families safety. Knock yourself out and get a 45" toy hauler!
Old 12-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #57

[QUOTE=Jim Smyth;714239 There is virtually no 1/2 ton truck that is legally able to tow a 5th wheel ................ period.

I’ts your quote.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:43 PM   #58

Out of curiousity, if you commented on a post or started a thread about tow weights and then followed through with towing overloaded, could a judge find you negligent if you caused an accident?

I ask this as much for the original poster, as for myself. Our digital footprint is huge, so my guess would be that a lawyer could argue that "you knew better" but you ignored the advice given to you?

Or would the argument not hold up, since fellow members on an online forum are not professionals?

Whenever I post something on a truck or trailer forum, I often wonder if I got "caught" and someone looked up my history online, would that hurt or help me?

F150's will tow just about whatever you can throw at them, especially the Ecoboost. But that guy who is towing the GD 34 foot trailer with a golf cart in the back must be WAY over payload!
Old 12-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #59

[QUOTE=Ringneks;714395][QUOTE=Jim Smyth;714239 There is virtually no 1/2 ton truck that is legally able to tow a 5th wheel ................ period.

I’ts your quote.[/QUOTE]

Look up the definition of virtually.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #60

Tow and let tow.

His truck, his trailer, his family, his cash.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote