Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2020, 10:02 AM   #1

Pullrite Space

How much space do you need between the bed rails , and the trailer without it scraping the rails. Also how close does your pin box come to your tailgate. I have only had this for 2 trips and it has be worried that something bad may happen.
2016 Denali 3500 SHORT BED
2008 Jayco 30.5RLS
#2700 ISR Series 16K SuperGlide, Automatically Sliding Fifth Wheel Hitch for Short Bed Trucksviewsbuy now
VikingH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #2

Between the bed rail and the fiver, we have about 7 inches and haven't had a problem. Don't know about the tailgate spacing. Our truck bed is the 6 1/2 foot. No problems and this is our second short bed using the Superglide. I would be cautious if maneuvering caused a severe sideways tilt of the truck or trailer. Always take your time and get out and look first.

2020 North Point 315RLTS
Ram 3500/Aisin CC, SB, SRW, Superglide
Firestone Ride-Rite Air bags, TST507 TPMS
DrSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #3

On my shortbed 2019 Ram 3500 there is no issue. I had the same concern but the hitch starts the swing before even coming close to the tailgate and the center distance to bed siderails is more than my pinbox length. Moryde pinbox. My bedrail clearance is just over 5" On my 006 I towed with a Superglide for over 12 years with no issues. I know it seems weird when you first see it in action but after awhile you trust it.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayles View Post
On my shortbed 2019 Ram 3500 there is no issue. I had the same concern but the hitch starts the swing before even coming close to the tailgate and the center distance to bed siderails is more than my pinbox length. Moryde pinbox. My bedrail clearance is just over 5" On my 006 I towed with a Superglide for over 12 years with no issues. I know it seems weird when you first see it in action but after awhile you trust it.
I have 4”, and I wonder if this is enough. I sent Pullrite an email just now to see what the recommendation would be.
VikingH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:19 PM   #5

I think the number that you should be shooting for is 6" from the rails.