Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2017, 05:24 AM   #1

Question 2017 Pinnacle

Hello all,

First post here but been "Lurking" for awhile and have learned a lot from all of the interesting posts. Definitely helped us make our decision on the new camper (Which will be our first).

We have a 2017 REFS on order which should arrive in April sometime (Maybe). I will be changing out the wheels and tires on the trailer before I take delivery (Going to put Sailun S637 in 17.5 diameter).

My question is about the wheels. I believe they are 8 lug and 1/2" lug size (As opposed to 9/16) but I cannot confirm this and Jayco won't help me without a vin#. Does anyone on here have a 2017 Pinnacle that can confirm this for me?

Thanks and I
look forward to continuing to learn here!
Fishermanbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #2

My 2016 Pinnacle has half inch lugs. The axles are Dexter 7000 lb and I'll bet if the 2017 has the same axles then the lugs will be the same.
sodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on ordering a new Pinnacle!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

Will your Pinnacle not get the new Goodyears? If not, I'd angle to get them added as an option.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #5

My 2017 36KPTS has half inch lugs. I immediately put the 16" Sailuns on. Great tire!
Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #6

Congratulations on the new Pinnacle and welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #7

Thank you for the welcome's and the info. I am pretty sure they are 8 lug and 1/2" but the one thing Jayco told me was that they were LCI Axles (Lippert). However, the guy I spoke to wasn't too sure about anything.

The manual for 2017 lists all the possible wheels and they are all 1/2" lugs so I'm sure that's it.

The 2017's do come with the new GY tires but they are Raniers. I want to upgrade to a 17.5" tire that is H rated. I won't ever drive the trailer over 60 MPH but I want the security of a better tire. The Sailun's are very highly rated and they are less than half what the GY G114 (17.5") tires run.

I'll probably also end up putting disc brakes on at some point (Sooner than later).

I'm concerned about being nose high as the TV is a 2017 F350. When the trailer comes in I'll hook it up to check before they prep it. If it is too high I'll add the Lippert correct track which will raise the trailer 2".

Thank again for any input!
Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #8

The new GOODYEARS are GOODYEARS, not Rainers. JAYCO had an "exclusive" for the new US Goodyear ST.

The Goodyear 614s only come in 16" and are G rated 14ply.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #9

Thanks Grumpy,

But now I'm confused. I looked at TWO 38 REFS trailers (Both 2017) before I ordered mine. Both had Raniers on them.

There are two "Options" for tires when you order. One is not really an option.

1. There is a Mandatory Goodyear tire option - You must get it with the Trailer and it is $450.00.

2. You can "Upgrade" to the G614's for about $2000. This is because they require a different rim.

I assumed the "Raniers" were GY as they were on both trailers. I guess not, so I am not sure why that was since both trailers had the "Mandatory" GY option ($450).

The GY's I was referring to are G114's which are the 17.5" tire (H Rated).

I guess I'll just have to see what comes on the trailer but I assume based on what you are saying is that going forward all 2017's will have the new GY ST tire.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermanbb View Post
Thank you for the welcome's and the info. I am pretty sure they are 8 lug and 1/2" but the one thing Jayco told me was that they were LCI Axles (Lippert). However, the guy I spoke to wasn't too sure about anything.

The manual for 2017 lists all the possible wheels and they are all 1/2" lugs so I'm sure that's it.

The 2017's do come with the new GY tires but they are Raniers. I want to upgrade to a 17.5" tire that is H rated. I won't ever drive the trailer over 60 MPH but I want the security of a better tire. The Sailun's are very highly rated and they are less than half what the GY G114 (17.5") tires run.

I'll probably also end up putting disc brakes on at some point (Sooner than later).

I'm concerned about being nose high as the TV is a 2017 F350. When the trailer comes in I'll hook it up to check before they prep it. If it is too high I'll add the Lippert correct track which will raise the trailer 2".

Thank again for any input!
I have a 2017 f350, I can confirm it is 2" higher.
I was just going over the nose high issue with my dealer.
My 2012 f350 was perfectly level with Timbrens installed.
Now with the '17 the truck is sitting level on stock springs and the rig is slightly nose high. It's almost not enough to worry about.
But the suspension is brand new. It is going to start to sag more over time and I'll probably put Timbrens back on to level the truck back out.
There is another bolt hole on the trailers hangers and you can lift it another inch.
That's where I'm headed

If you are going for 2" (plus the extra cost) be aware you raise the height of your rig. (Obviously)
I'm at 13'4"...the extra inch I'm thinking about puts me at 13 5. That worries me a little bit
. I've been to places where the overhead entrance bar says 13' 6" clearance.

Check the height of your rig before you make a hasty expensive decision.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #11

Thanks Klassic,

We have similar taste in TV's as that mine will be a CC, Plat/SRW as well. The hitch weight for mine is similar to yours (A little more but not much) although the overall weight is higher.

You make a great point about overall height and if I am only 2" nose high I am not going to worry about it. So long as the tailgate clearance is sufficient I will leave well enough alone. I will try moving the hangers first if there is an issue. However, the Correct Track is not very expensive if I "Need" it.

I am putting a Superglide ISR hitch on which tends to be a little high so we will just have to see how it all looks when everything gets here. I definitely want to stay as low as possible.

How does your 350 SRW handle the big Northpoint?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermanbb View Post
Thanks Grumpy,
But now I'm confused. I looked at TWO 38 REFS trailers (Both 2017) before I ordered mine. Both had Raniers on them.
They may have been built prior to the Goodyear requirement. Look at the MSRP sheet and check what options are listed.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #13

I have exactly 6" clearance on the bedrails. I would like more but it would make it all worse. My truck has 20's too, so I think it rides 1/2" higher then 18's.
The 2" out of level isn't even noticeable along the bedrails and over 40' it's not that bad. That's why I think lifting to the next bolt hole, for me, would make it a little above "good enough"
I am going to check the rig height myself to be sure how high I am.

The new truck tows much better then my 2012 did. I only took it around the block but I could instantly tell. The exhaust brake is a great addition and works well with the adaptive cruise. Along with the tow/haul feature you pretty much don't even need trailer brakes. Lol.
I love the auto tailgate. I don't have to get out to drop it when backing up to hook up.
The CHMSL camera is good for lining up the hitch. The zoom works good. If the cameras were high def like my 2012, it would be way better. The picture quality of the cameras I have are not very good.

The real annoying part is, after you unhook (and I have three different trailers) you need to select "no active trailer" in the tow menu or your choice of default screen won't come back and you will keep clicking off miles on the selected trailer's odometer. Which, if you are trying to keep track of the trailers miles, makes this awesome feature useless.
To top it all off, if you notice while driving, you can't get to that menu to change back until the truck stops moving.

The BLIS only works for tow trailers up to 30'. It won't work with 5th wheels, but it works great with my 16' enclosed trailer.
The seats are a crap shoot if your back gets along with them. A lot of people are complaining. One guy says he's selling his truck this weekend (1100miles) he can only last 30mins. I can go about an hour..then it's getting not so good. After 2 hours I have to get out.
Pretty much the same complaint from everyone. Stinging back pain and pain shoots down your legs.
I'm not sure if it's just in the massaging seats or not. But nothing helps. I'm hoping these thing break in soon.

Did you get the trailer camera/TPMS option?
If you did, as stock, the wire plugs into the bumper. This system is not 5th wheel friendly. No 5ver wants a wire hanging across the gap between the trailer and truck. And if you can manage to fish the wire all the way to the pinbox, then you have to go over the tailgate down to the bumper. But fear not... it irked a metal fab guy off so much he designed a bracket and a harness extension so 5vers can have the double plug in the box where it should be by Ford.

Here's my new towing hitch. I don't like the slop of the 2 adapters to get the shank back to 2". So 3" it is!
It's good for 21000lbs.

And if you like to put your safety chains in backwards, you can't anymore. They will only go in forwards and that's a even a little snug
Old 02-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #14

Thanks Klassic,

Based on what's you are saying I may not need to do anything. The Pinnacle will be a little heavier than the Northpoint which may take care of that 2". We'll see. I'm glad it tows well (It should for all the tech in these things). The hitch adapter will not be a problem as mine is a Job 2 Build and (Unfortunately) now comes with a 2" instead of a 3".

I have seen the thread on the Ford forum about the camera adaptor (Yes, I have it). I will most likely do that. Looking forward to getting everything together. Truck should be here by the end of March and trailer by the end of April. Dealer will need a week to do the add on's (Wineguard, voltage regulator/surge suppressor, etc) and then we are looking forward to taking it out for a shakedown cruise. Thanks for all your help!
Old 02-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #15

Awesome Fisherman..I'll catch you over there at Ford.
There is a few members from here over there too.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #16

Did you get the 8" drop?
qstott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #17

6"