Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #1

Question about propane tanks

I have a 2020 North Point model 377RLBH which has 3 propane bottles- 2 on the driver's side & 1 on the passenger side. I also have an onboard propane fueled Onan generator. It is my understanding (from the dealer & Jayco Reps) that only the single bottle on the passenger side is used for the generator. Not sure why this would be the case as the generator consumes the most propane of all the appliances when it is running and I would have thought that all 3 bottles would be plumbed together to supply the generator and other propane appliances. I have run the generator with the 2 bottles on the driver's side open and the single bottle on the passenger side closed (before hearing from the dealer & Jayco themselves that only the single bottle feeds the generator). Anyone else with 3 propane bottles and a propane generator have this happen ??
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel
B&W 25K Companion hitch for factory puck system
Siberian Husky- Annabelle, Pomeranian- Brees
Powerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Here is a thread from a few years back with the same subject:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-51105.html

Doing a forum search shows 3-4 other threads also.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdriver View Post
I have a 2020 North Point model 377RLBH which has 3 propane bottles- 2 on the driver's side & 1 on the passenger side. I also have an onboard propane fueled Onan generator. It is my understanding (from the dealer & Jayco Reps) that only the single bottle on the passenger side is used for the generator. Not sure why this would be the case as the generator consumes the most propane of all the appliances when it is running and I would have thought that all 3 bottles would be plumbed together to supply the generator and other propane appliances. I have run the generator with the 2 bottles on the driver's side open and the single bottle on the passenger side closed (before hearing from the dealer & Jayco themselves that only the single bottle feeds the generator). Anyone else with 3 propane bottles and a propane generator have this happen ??

No, even dealers are confused. I have a '21 Pinnacle with the same setup. My dealer quickly corrected me when I brought this subject. He said all tanks can and will feed the generator. He is also old school, and doesn't trust the Bluetooth sensors out there, and his solution is to have the one tank on, other two cut off until the stove, heater, Genny quits. Ours is still set up that way, lol. Then open the second tank and proceed until it quits. This way he knows exactly how much gas he has. I disagree with that, just haven't purchased sensors yet. But he was adamant about the fact that all tanks do feed the generator. When you think about it, it is silly to have a 5.5KW Genny and only one measly 40Gallon tank to feed it. I want the gas sensors, somewhat pissed at BMPRO right now. Our wheel pressure sensors package, that work well by the way, also came with a funky round little thing called a smart temp sensor. Stumbled on it one day in a drawer, googled it and found out what it is supposed to do. I can't get it to pair with the BMPRO tablet and they have not been very helpful, soo, I think I will try another company called Mopeka products. Found them on Amazon, emailed them with a question and had an answer next morning.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #4

I can say with 100% confidence that all 3 tanks are plumed together. My 2020 377 was not gen prepped so I had to add it which included the 3rd tank. You will notice on the single tank side, the bottom of the regulator there are 2 hoses. One of the hoses runs to the generator, the other is from the 2 tanks on the other side.
I usually keep the single tank active with the other 2 turned off, and I do have the propane sensors, seem to work well for me.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
I can say with 100% confidence that all 3 tanks are plumed together. My 2020 377 was not gen prepped so I had to add it which included the 3rd tank. You will notice on the single tank side, the bottom of the regulator there are 2 hoses. One of the hoses runs to the generator, the other is from the 2 tanks on the other side.
I usually keep the single tank active with the other 2 turned off, and I do have the propane sensors, seem to work well for me.

What brand sensors are you using?
Old 09-15-2021, 04:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
What brand sensors are you using?
BMPro so it works with the system installed in the camper.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
BMPro so it works with the system installed in the camper.

Yes, I want to go with them as well and keep it all in the BMPRO App. Pissed at them right now, but will get over it shortly, lol.