Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Question for you Air Conditioning Gurus

Our 31.5RLTS SuperLite came with only 1 AC. If and when the day comes when we decide to add another can it be piped into the existing ducting or is it just for cooling that one room? How do you wire it in, does it use the same thermostat or is it on its own? Does the ceiling pannels have to come down to do all this work?

If it is connected to the existing duct system, how does the air flow considering you have another bigger system pumping air also.

Am I correct in assuming that all Eagle's and Superlites come prepped for a second AC?

I'm clueless about all this, and your input is appreciated.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #2

You should be able to figure all of it out rather quickly. In the bedroom remove the 4 screws holding the plastic trim piece where the vent is. Once you remove it you should see a what looks like a taped over duct, some yellow household wiring for the 2nd A/C, a separate brown wire, which is for the thermostat, or at least that is what my 08 looks like. Not sure if you have to plug the other end of the duct or not, someone else will have to pipe in.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #3

Exactly what Dale said, but in addition do you have 30 or 50 amp service? Having 50A service will allow both A/C's to run at the same time, but 30A you will likely only be able to use one or the other. My BHLT has 50A service and I just added a second A/C. As mentioned above, the ducts and wiring were all there just needed to be all hooked up, no plugging of ducts. I tested the 2 A/C's on fan and there is considerable more air flow coming out of all the ducts, and it gives the ability to use the front or rear A/C to control noise levels.

It uses a separate thermostat. It can be installed ducted or non-ducted that would be your choice, using the wiring for the bedroom thermostat or installing with the controls on the A/C itself. The bedroom thermostat controls the A/C ONLY there is no wiring for the furnace and on mine the thermostat is located under the bedroom slide out switch. Ceiling panels do not need to come down.

I had the dealer install the second A/C. I don't think that doing it yourself would be difficult EXCEPT for hauling that 100lb top unit to the roof and not damaging the roofing material.

We are planning a July South Carolina trip, and I was very concerned about having a single 13.5K A/C unit cooling the camper, so I had a second A/C installed. Haven't camped with it yet, but I have to believe that this will workout very well! Really looking forward to having the bedroom A/C on then sitting and watching the race in a much quieter area.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I can't get into my trailer when it is parked along side the house. I will be pulling it out today and check things out. I also found a link to a mod they call the "tent in the vent". I will examine the main unit and maybe try that before spending the cash on a second AC. We do have 50 amp service so I would think the second unit would not be a problem.

Here is the link if anyone in interested, it is from the Heartland owners forum and there is a lot of good information there.

http://www.heartlandowners.org/showt...=8638#post8638

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #5

I'd bet that yours is exactly like mine then and you can easily add the second air conditioner (ducted or not)
Old 05-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylyon View Post
I'd bet that yours is exactly like mine then and you can easily add the second air conditioner (ducted or not)
Yup. I pulled the trailer out today and opened up the front vent and it was all there, covered access to the ducts on both sides, romex wire, brown wire for the t-stat, extra breaker in the main panel.

Then I went to the AC in the living area and took down the cover and was very pleased to see that the installation was pretty clean. I taped up a round where the duct meets the AC to close some small gaps. Air flow was real good but I can see that on a very hot day that a second AC will come in quite handy. We will probably carry an oscillating fan as well.

Life is good

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #7

Having a single a/c in Texas in July sounds like a disaster, and I really wish we had a second a/c but what we noticed was that the single a/c kept us comfortable, not meat-hanging cold, but certainly tolerable. When we used a couple of 10" fans within the unit, it really made a noticable difference. I strongly recommend a good fan or two to assist the a/c on super hot days if you only have one a/c.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #8

I have a 31.5 RLTS and am doing a little something different. I am having a 2nd air installed that works with the duct work but has the manual controls and the built in thermostat. Reason: if both are connected to the same thermostat and I am in a 30 amp campground, I wouldn't be able to use either air. Also, once trailer is cool, can turn one off and use one in the oposite end of trailer where you are and not have to listen to all the noise. Does this make sense or am I off base?
Traindriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Site Team

Agree with your logic. Basically when we are in a location w/ 30a service, even with 2 ac's, we use them the same way your describe.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traindriver View Post
I have a 31.5 RLTS and am doing a little something different. I am having a 2nd air installed that works with the duct work but has the manual controls and the built in thermostat. Reason: if both are connected to the same thermostat and I am in a 30 amp campground, I wouldn't be able to use either air. Also, once trailer is cool, can turn one off and use one in the oposite end of trailer where you are and not have to listen to all the noise. Does this make sense or am I off base?
You can certainly do that, but both units are NOT connected to the same thermostat, they are connected to separate thermostats. The bedroom thermostat (located under the slideout switch) operates ONLY the bedroom / second A/C, while the main thermostat operates the primary A/C and furnace. Either way your goal would be accomplished, the ability to use either A/C separately.

I went with the thermostat because I am 6'1" and headroom is an issue for me in the bedroom. The manual controls make the room even shorter, where as the grill for the thermostat unit is just about flush with the ceiling.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Agree with your logic. Basically when we are in a location w/ 30a service, even with 2 ac's, we use them the same way your describe.
I misread your post. My setup has 2 ac's and each has it's own thermostat.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #12

I have a 2012 JAYCO EAGLE 330RLTS just had my local jayco dealer install a 13,500 ac unit. Fit right in where the vent was. Added chill grille. Extra expense but well worth it. Also camper is a 50amp setup and came pre wired. Dealer installed it for 120.00. I could not pass that up. Hope all works out. We like sleeping with ice cubes coming out of the ceiling. Best thing is both units work independently.
Camper1967 is offline   Reply With Quote