Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #21

I usually wait to turn on the fridge until the day after we leave. Seems weird to put fresh cold items in a cold fridge to stay cold.
jrobb911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #22

Manufactures start putting stickers somewhere on the refrigerator that state “run refrigerator with no contents, 24 hours before using”!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:35 AM   #23

Neighbor leaves his plugged in all summer. He is on house power. I do not think it will hurt if fridge is on or not.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:32 AM   #24

I turn my fridge on in May and off in September
shloubrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:52 AM   #25

I have a small gas/electric fridge. The day before I light the propane and clean out any bugs, dust, etc. before it gets cold. Once I am sure it is cooling ( an hour or less) I switch to electric. That way I know that both work. By 12 hours the freezer is cold and main is cooling.
Since I had a major cooling failure in over 100 degree heat in Aches National Park/Moab, UT. area I have also:
Added 12 volt fans outside to promote air movement in the heat stack.
Added a 12 volt fan unit to the inside coils.
Insulated and sealed the stack area to prevent heat getting into the cabinets and escaping the stack flow.
Added heat insulation to the heat pipe itself to keep heat on the coils and not wasted.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:27 AM   #26

I always turn on fridge day before. Get it cold and fill it with items I'm taking that night. Been doing it 25 years,no problem. Don't see why you would have a concern. It's made to use.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #27

I start our two-way fridge in the spring...as I dewinterize. It runs nonstop all summer until we put it away for the season. (Last year, I had to defrost it once, but this year, I did not have to defrost it.)

Most of the time it's running on propane, because we boondock almost exclusively. When I have shore power available, I run it on electricity.

Most of the time, I "force" it to run on "gas"...settings on the fridge control panel. Why? When I run the generator while boondocking, I don't want the fridge to switch to electricity (on auto) and suck up a chunk of the generator's power while we are trying to run the microwave or similar (e.g. espresso machine - we're not uncivilized after all. ) On a small genny, this risks an overload if the fridge attempts ot start while the micro is also trying to start.

So, for 95% or more of the summer, the fridge is running on propane...non-stop. This means at our sites - where we might stay two weeks or more - on the road, and so on. When we grocery shop, I unload groceries straight from the car into the fridge, and if we bring food (in insulated bags) to the rig while in the field, the fridge is always cold and ready.

So turn on the propane and turn on the fridge. Give it at least 24 hours to get cold before loading food. Feel free to leave it running on propane while on the road.
Exceptions:
~ Certain bridges, tunnels, ferrys and so on require you to shut off the propane. No problem. A cold fridge will stay cold for many hours without propane. Just TURN OFF THE FRIDGE and then turn off the propane so your fridge doesn't continue to run and purge the lines of fuel.
~ Gas stations...for obvious reasons. The spark ignition from any propane appliance might ignite gasoline vapors under certain circumstances.

When reigniting the fridge, it's best to turn on the propane and double check that adequate propane is available by lighting a stove burner and/or the hot water heater (assuming you have water in the tank). This ensures that the fridge won't "fault" when you turn it on. Safety interlocks might not be satisfied by a proper "fire" in the fridge burner if the propane line has air in it. Normally this is not a problem, but it's always best to light a stove burner and ensure you have a solid, unfluttering flame before you try to ignite the fridge. Then listen and be sure you hear the spark and then the flame in the fridge burner.

Does this seem reckless? No. Homes run on natural gas or propane. That's the furnace, hot water heater, and other appliances. The propane tank (or natural gas supply) is always on, and the appliances run automatically unless you turn them off manually...but the fuel is always on. Home-based propane is no different than the propane you carry in tanks on your rig. The connections are the same, and so are the regulators. In the case of natural gas, the fuel is piped in from the street, through a meter, and to your appliances. There will be an emergency shut off, but otherwise the fuel is always on.

If you have a serious accident on the road and a propane tank rips loose, safety valves in the tank will shut off the supply moments after the valve detects unrestricted flow. There's far more danger of fire from the gas or diesel in your tow vehicle's fuel tank.

Can you have a bad regulator? Sure. Jayco is in the middle of a massive recall. I replaced my own for $50. It took about 30 minutes.

In short, use your fridge as you would your home fridge. Let it run and stay cold for the entire season.

Enjoy.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:19 AM   #28

Turn on with propane or electric (if poss) a couple days ( 48 HRS) before departure .Fill ice cube tray, when tray is frozen, fill freezer 24 hrs or so before leaving with frozen products and fridg with anything that won't spoil. All other stuff the nite before leaving. I started doing it that way in 1982 and all that needs to be frozen is frozen & everything that is suppose cold is cold