Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #1

Question is on AC Std or Low pro

Getting ready to put Ac on front of the 5th wheel in the bedroom. Dealer messed up and did not order it. Be looking and reading what has most have on? Std or low pro. The std ac is lighter than the low pro Coleman. not much diff in amp draw either. I have seen some newer Jaycos that have srd height on the front. We don't tow a bunch. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #2

I have a standard height AC on the front of my 5er and I am 13'4". That's pretty high and have had more than one encounter with tree branches. My advice is to stay as low as possible.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #3
Site Team

Mine came with the STD up front. I would have ordered the LP, given the choice. It is the highest point on the roof and the 4 inch difference in height can be crucial..
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

We ordered ours with the front a/c and Jayco puts the low profile unit in that spot. But, a word of caution: the unit was so loud and vibrated so badly that we requested that it be changed out for the standard unit. I have NEVER heard an a/c unit that had such a loud fan on the outside. As others have pointed out, a standard unit does raise the vertical clearance. Ours measures 13' 4" with the trailer hitched to the truck.
glilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #5

I ordered my 2013 Eagle Premier 321 RLTS with a bedroom A/C. It came from the factory with the standard height A/C. Brochure says it is 13' 6". That's really pushing the limits IMHO. I have never hit anything other than tree branches, but that has to be pretty close on some of those underpasses. Would rather have had the low profile unit to give me a few more inches of clearance. Really need to be conscientious of the height at all times. We spend a lot of time in state parks and Corp of Engineer campgrounds and the tree trimming in those places is usually pretty far down the list of jobs to take of. Low hanging branches have blocked my entrances to a specific area more than once.

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. djalbrec that is where we mostly camp also and I have been into the trees on the top. Thanks again to all as I will shop for a low pro. I saw a 2013 that had a std one on it and looks pretty high. The gas station roofs scares me.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #7

The lower you can go the better IMHO. I sweat it pulling into many refueling stations although so far so good. I have found that on a few occasions it pays to heed the truck routes through certain town/cities. Once in New Brunswick, Canada, I decided to go through a small town and come upon an underpass that said 4 meters. Had to do some quick calculating and fortunately the older Newmar that I had at the time squeaked through. I don't think my new Pinnacle would have made it.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Site Team

After reading the responses, I would rather have what I have if the LP unit is nosier. The LP is more expensive and I am sure that is why Jayco uses the regular one.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #9

I have the standard on the front as well. I down loaded the low clearance app for my Iphone. I just check my route....it does make me pucker a little when approaching some of the older over passes. If it is less that 13'8" I don't go that way.
rbarker46 is offline   Reply With Quote