Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2018, 08:19 PM   #1

Questions about mounting generator on rear bumper

I have a Honda EU2000 & EU2000 Companion that can be connected together to power an RV with one AC unit, Microwave, an electric water heater, lights and other miscellaneous items.

We now have a 321 RSTS that's equipped with (2) AC units, which is more than the Hondas can handle.

Since the EU2000's have less than 10 hours on them, I should be able to sell them without taking too much of a hit to my wallet.

I plan to buy a Honda EU6500, Honda EU7000 or a Yamaha EF6300 to replace the smaller units. Then, instead of carrying the generator(s) in the bed of my truck, I plan to mount the one larger unit to a cargo platform attached to the receiver on the rear bumper. The receiver is rated at 300 pounds.

Questions:

What are the pros & cons of carrying the generator on the rear bumper?

Are there any other 6,000 to 7,000 watt Inverter-Generators that are reliable, quiet and cost less than the Honda & Yamaha units?
WestTexasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:32 PM   #2

Rear bumper. Security, vibrations, and the large vertical forces on some 'wavy' roads.

Many people mount gensets and other stuff back there. I'd rather mount the unit in the front compartment, but, that requires some fireproofing, fueling and exhaust issues to overcome (unless your unit is prepped for a generator), as well as increasing your bed weight by a bit (not as much as keeping the generator in the back of the truck).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Rear bumper. Security, vibrations, and the large vertical forces on some 'wavy' roads.

Many people mount gensets and other stuff back there. I'd rather mount the unit in the front compartment, but, that requires some fireproofing, fueling and exhaust issues to overcome (unless your unit is prepped for a generator), as well as increasing your bed weight by a bit (not as much as keeping the generator in the back of the truck).
My Jayco has a frame mounted receiver hitch, so my plan was to use a hitch-mounted aluminum platform and add some additional supports between the receiver and bumper.

I understand the security issue but am willing to accept it. I'll chain the generator to the platform and use a cover over it.

Can you elaborate on your comments about "vibrations" and "large vertical forces"?
WestTexasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #4

I sure would not want to travel behind you. The EU7000 dry weight is 264#, you better have a real strong platform to handle the up and down forces as the TT bounces down the road. I have come up behind some TTs that have rear bike racks and everything is bouncing all over to the point it looks like it will all fall off at any second. And I am sure the driver doesn't know what is going on back there.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #5

The rear end of the trailer moves 2 to 4 times as much as the rear end of the truck. When a series of bumps are just right the rear of the trailer is going up as the truck is going down.

A little explanation. When the trailer wheels go over a bump they move, eg, 4 inches. The back of the trailer will then move 8 inches (the pivot point is the truck hitch).

Now, if the truck hits a "hole" at the same time and goes down 4" then the rear of the trailer is moving 12" or more. When this is done at freeway speeds it is like being on a roller coaster. Stuff that is not tied down well does fly around.

If you are using one of the "standard" cargo carries that have a couple of inches of slop, your stuff is going to be jerked up and down as well.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger View Post
I have a Honda EU2000 & EU2000 Companion that can be connected together to power an RV with one AC unit, Microwave, an electric water heater, lights and other miscellaneous items.

We now have a 321 RSTS that's equipped with (2) AC units, which is more than the Hondas can handle.

Since the EU2000's have less than 10 hours on them, I should be able to sell them without taking too much of a hit to my wallet.

I plan to buy a Honda EU6500, Honda EU7000 or a Yamaha EF6300 to replace the smaller units. Then, instead of carrying the generator(s) in the bed of my truck, I plan to mount the one larger unit to a cargo platform attached to the receiver on the rear bumper. The receiver is rated at 300 pounds.

Questions:

What are the pros & cons of carrying the generator on the rear bumper?

Are there any other 6,000 to 7,000 watt Inverter-Generators that are reliable, quiet and cost less than the Honda & Yamaha units?
I’m planning on something similar - keep in mind those larger generators combined with the platform and fuel may exceed the 300lb weight rating.

I wired my 15k a/c’s with micro-airs so I can run them both, my converter and still have power to spare. I’m also installing 960 watts of solar that sould reduce the load from the converter

I have a westinghouse iGen4500df ($1050 Home depot) along with dual 30lb propane tanks.

This has a remote start and should provide upto 2.5 days continous runtime at 25% load and I can then switch over to my rear propane trailer propane grill connector to use that propane as well for upto 2.5 more days (28 gallons total of propane) or switch over to gas if needed- so much more flexibility.

I also have the bluetooth propeka propane tank level monitors

Generator 97lbs (add 21.4lb for 3.4gl gas if filled)
2 full propane tanks - 108lbs
It will be locked to the camper and to the cargo carrier.
Cargo carrier/locks/cables/enclosure material will be less than 300lbs combined

I’m building an enclosure with that plastic cardboard sign material (amazon) to protect everthing from the elements enroute and to be opened during use for airflow but protect from rain and be light weight.

I also have the rear observation camera so I can keep an eye on it during travel.

I am into aviation and attend Sun n fun(fl) and Air venture(wi) so dry camping is a requirement (if you call this camping ; ) )
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #7

A web page about gasoline vs propane in a engine:

https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/...rsus-gasoline/

Read the whole page to understand it. The prices of the two fuels have changed, but the performance has not.
I also have found that some parts of the U.S.A. sell propane by the pound and other parts sell propane by the gallon. Still other places will charge the same price based on the size of the propane cylinder no matter how much fuel they put in it. A 20 lb cylinder is Xdollars to fill it no matter if the cylinder takes 1 gallon or 5 gallons. Just my thoughts on running a generator on propane. Happy camping.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote