Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #1

Ram 1 ton with factory air suspension

Looking to upgrade from 2016 Ram 2500 to a 2019 3500 Dually later this year. Have been looking at the factory installed auto leveling air suspension.

Looking for feedback on the air system.

Will be towing a 2018 Pinnacle REFS.
SoonerCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCamper View Post
Looking to upgrade from 2016 Ram 2500 to a 2019 3500 Dually later this year. Have been looking at the factory installed auto leveling air suspension.

Looking for feedback on the air system.

Will be towing a 2018 Pinnacle REFS.
The air ride system is nice. I test drove one. and its nice, did i say that already. Pros. you are always level no matter what you run in to and the ride is smother seems more controlled. Cons. Big option and OK price. Mainly used for towing heavy machinery on the pintle hook where the rear sag is going to be more pronounced off the bumper. On a fifth wheel its not really needed. you still end up moving the king pin or hitch up or down a hole to get the right clearance between the bed and 5th wheel. These systems do have maintenance and its not if the system is going to break but when. Loosing all the air when you are towing drops the bed to the jounce bumper and your creep mode until you get some place safe. I decided against the option for these reasons as i will probably never tow a backhoe around on the reciever.

By the way were upgrading to the same unit its on order. We already hooked to one to check it out and it pulls nice.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
PMC

They ride real nice and from what I've read over on the cummins forum there is very little talk of any issues. One of the guys over there with the 2500 version has 325k miles on his without any issues.
We decided when moving from a SRW without air-ride to a DRW that we weren't buying one without it after the first drive in one with air-ride. The ride in the 14 GVW truck is better than the SRW we had.

Probably didn't need it for our 3000+ pin weight but I also didn't want to be a year in and wish I had it. Same thinking when I went with Aisin and 4:10s vs any other combo.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #4

We purchased a 2017 3500 SRW this past November. We did not special order but picked one off the dealer lot. It has the Auto Level Rear Air Suspension system and I really like it. When hitching up, you can see/hear the air bags inflate to handle the extra weight. Then you push the Alt Trailer Height button and it brings the rear end back down for a level ride.

It also had the 5th wheel towing prep package along with the cargo view camera. I know that if I had ordered this truck, I would have left some of the gadgets off, but boy I'm sure glad I have them now.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #5

I had it installed on my 2017 Ram, 2500. It's great for added support, but does a 1 ton dulley need it, I don't know the answer. In my opinion, it's better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it, you know what I mean. I used that saying in my 3/4 ton. Good luck in your desion and happy camping!
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #6

I have a 2014 2500 that I ordered with the air system. I’m very glad I did. I would give it 4 stars. I would like another inch of downward travel. If I recall when you lower the suspension it adjusts only about 2”. I can’t remember exactly. Anyhow mine hasn’t had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #7

I'll add to what has already been said. I really like the air suspension in my 3500 dually. I really like how level my 5er and TV ride when you hit the alt trailer height button. I've driven it with my 5er in "regular" mode and alt trailer mode. The ride is much smoother with the ride leveled and the 5er attached. I had the Firestone Ride Right airbags on my previous 2500. I was lucky...my current '16 TV was a leftover (last '16 3500 in stock) on the lot that I found and the dealer wanted it gone.