Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2021, 05:54 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialK View Post
I think you may be overthinking it. And I'm not going to ding you for spelling errors. This isn't' getting published, it's silly to even mention it. I didn't get past the second sentence of that reply, so apologies if I'm rehashing....

Truck is 11,8. With 3620 cargo capacity. Anderson Ultimate is what, 60 pounds? Now you have 3540 to use up. Pin weight is 2855. Now you have 685 to use. If you have nothing else in the truck, do you and your family weigh that? With any various accoutrements in the truck, like jumper cables and such. I would assume no. You should be fine.

You also have 2,710 pounds worth of cargo you can put in the RV. That's not counting the fridge and stove and all the other stuff that comes with it - that's in the 11,800. Food, chairs, whatever. That's a lot of stuff you can put in there. If you have other things in your truck that may put you over weight, put it in the RV. Even with truck and trailer maxed out, you're still way below your GCVWR.

You're fine. Not as much leeway as I'd like, but like you said, that bell has been rung. Keep on keeping on.

You're probably right, but I'm seeing actual pin weights north or 3,200 that's what's concerning.

When I weight the truck with me 3/4 fuel and normal tools I keep on hand it was 8,800 LBS.

Yes - I could move the stuff the camper and get a Reese Goose Box or Anderson, but I'd be real close if pin goes north of 3K.

Regardless, I got a nice truck and we are rethinking our camper choice.

Thanks for all the great info!!!
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #62

Heres a link to RAM's tow specs for your truck. You just enter your vin # and voila!

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html

I had an 06 dodge 2500 with the Cummins when we bought our Eagle 319 MLOK. Max weight on it is just under 13,000. The 06 towed it fine but my truck was rated to tow 13,000 at max capacity so I knew my pin weight was off. I didn't worry about it as the early 2000's Dodge 2500 had all one ton axles. Truck pulled the rig fine but the wife started talking our "next" rig so I started truck shopping and decided on the dually 3500. Now I can't use the excuse "But hon our truck cant tow that" LoL.
The difference is night and day. I know I'm well within the 3500's payload and tow capacity. Very stable and the exhaust brake on the Cummins is flat awesome.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #63

First off this is not legal advice. It's 20 years of experience hauling trailers with trucks and semi's. My setup is a 2018 NP377 and I pull with 2017 srw gmc denali. Yeah that's an srw. I have pulled my 377 from Oregon to south Carolina and back. 8000 miles by the time I was done. My gvwr is 11700 and I believe my truck is a little lighter to start with then yours. I have the companion hitch and a tool box. I'm about 400 lbs over on my back axle when all loaded up for a month long cross country trip. The only thing I did to the truck was airbags in the back (yours already had that) and I upgraded to I higher weight rated tire. My truck came with 3750lb rated tires I bumped it to the 4080lb rated tires. All my numbers are in spec except my rear Axle and my gvw. I'm at 7350 on the back axle and mine is rated for 7k also. Because your gvwr dosent add up to your front and back Axle ratings I'm 900lbs over on my gvwr. My front axle weight is the same loaded or empty. So like I said I have had zero issues with over 10k miles with the truck pulling this load over mountain and though the desert. It drives great and no wind issues or anything. I averaged Just under 12mpg for my long trip. Can you be held personally liable if anything goes wrong. Yes but you can even if your under weight. I have asked my state farm agent if they would cover a wreck if I was over weight. His exact words were yes the manufacturer weight ratings are for warranty purposes and because the government forces the manufacturer to classify every vehicle. As for insurance as long as your not trying to pull a 14k 5thwheel with an f150 you should never have an issue with a reputable insurance provider paying if your ever in an accident. That said you need to do what's comfortable for you. If you feel you should upgrade to a drw then do it. If you feel good with your srw and you are comfortable driving it then who is to tell you otherwise. Good luck and happy travels.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:28 PM   #64

Why would your insurance care more if it is a 1/2 ton you overload. If they will cover a accident with a overloaded 1 ton they will cover it with a overloaded 1/2 ton.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:27 AM   #65

Because overloading a half ton by 1000's of lbs is a big difference then overloading a 1 ton by a few 100 lbs. Honestly if you have to ask this question you probably know nothing about trucks. Look at the build of a half ton vs a 1 ton.. most 1 tons a limited by 1 or 2 components where a half ton is literally built to spec most all the components are limiting factors. For example my 1 ton was limited on the rear axle by its tires the axle its self is the same axle as the 1 ton drw only difference is the hubs and tires. I looked into this with the manufacturer. I also know this because before I put my airbags on my trailer was 400lbs over the axle weight rating yet my overload springs we not touching the frame. And never made contact going down the road. My axle weight rating was the exact same as the 2 tires added together weight capacity.. I've overload my 1 tons plenty of times with no issues. I know guys that do damage overloading a half ton once...
Old 01-28-2021, 01:00 AM   #66

So in all your years of driving semis were the officers extra nice to you if you were only a few hundred pounds over your axle limit and very hard on you when you were a few thousand pounds over? Or were the fines the same? You can get an f150 that is rated to tow 14k with a payload of 3250. I can assure you i know plenty about trucks. It was not a question about the stress on the truck but the fact your insurance company would cover you if your just a little over your trucks rating.
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:16 AM   #67

As a matter of fact semi's are complete different. 1 most 3 axle trucks are rated for 60k to 65k lbs but are limited by the government to 46,500 +/- lbs. The +/- is because the steer axle is limited by the tire capacity. The standard is 12300 but with the right tires it's upto 13,300. (This is on an over the road truck) vocational trucks have a different set of rules. So yes the trucks are way over rated compared to what the law allows.
2. Most not all but most will give some leeway on axle weights a few hundred pounds. And no the fine and or "punishment" dose change with how much you are over weight. For example if you are under 6000lbs over on your tandems you get a ticket and go on your way. If your 6001 lb over you get shut down until you can get the weight off the axles.
3. If your overweight in a commercial truck and you are in an accident the insurance company still pays the claim. If you are found to be grossly (a predetermined amount over) and wreck then they can deny the claim based of Goss negligence.
4. There are many many differences in commercial operations vs recreational vehicle operations and insurance.
5th I don't care what Ford says if you put 14000lbs behind an F150 and likely have ove 3000lbs of pin weight your probably not the dumbest person I know but your among them. I know the f150 when property equipped is a capable 1/2 ton but it's not a 1ton. A 1 ton has larger brakes, transmission, suspension, hubs, axles, more leaf springs, and a large more robust frame.

My point to the OP was do what is comfortable for you... within reason to the limits of your truck. If your slightly over on a rear axle I wouldn't loose sleep over it. If your 1000 lbs over your not within reason to the limits of your truck. Fact is there is always no matter what gonna be somebody that says your doing it wrong... when in fact they probably have little to no idea what they are talking about. The laws with regard to recreational vehicles are completely different then commercial vehicles. Commercial vehicles are way more governed. Fact is most semi trucks are capable of much more then the law allows. Most their weight regulation are because of pencil pushers in DC deciding the roads can only handle this much weight. When infact if your willing to pay more for permits you can haul even more weight.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #68

I have a 2018 Dodge 3500 SW Diesel turbo and a 2019 North Point 377RLB and had no problems towing 5th wheel at all. We made a 28 day road trip and had good trip your should be Good to go on trip.
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #69

I think you will be just fine... just load it up and take it to the scales and see where you are at... everything else stated here is nothing but feelings... if you are over weight and can't make any adjustments and you aren't comfortable then you have to pay the piper. If you are okay with being 200lb over and everything else being equal I would drive it till it quits running...

your insurance will cover you for drinking and driving why won't they cover when you are over weight? asking for a friend...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:58 PM   #70

Most 3 axle tractors made in the last ten or so years are rated at 50k to 55k. The most common front axle weight rating is 13200. Any of the units rated higher are double framed have drop or additional axles they have bigger differentials heavier front axles. I agree they are rated to haul more than they typically are allowed to. But my original comment was about your insurance agent telling you you would be covered but some guy overloaded with a 1/2 ton would not. This is infact false. They cover people all the time when they are drunk and wreck their car speeding and wreck their car texting and driving and a multitude of other grossly negligent stuff.I personally do not put a lot of stock in gvwr this number is used for marketing and tax purposes insurance dot requirements and the like. The axel weight rating is more important. It is what the system as a whole can safely handle. If you had to respond to my original post the way you did you obviously know nothing about insurance.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:01 PM   #71

I'm not gonna argue insurance with you because unless your in the business I highly doubt you know much more then the average Joe. Yes your right a reputable insurance carrier with cover you for just above anything. Including be stupid with a light duty truck. That said there are about 10 or 20 non reputable insurance companies around for every one that is reputable. I've seen insurance companies deny claims for far less then being stupid. Again if you are with a reputable company they will cover you for just about anything. Again my point was insurance is likely not to be an issue as long as your not doing something with your equipment it wasn't designed to do even then not likely to be a problem. My comment was more for the guys that claim if your 100 lbs over on any of your capacities you could have insurance issues. And like you already know that is not likely to be an issue. So if your comfortable with your setup then your probably fine (within reason)..
Old 01-28-2021, 02:29 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
I'm not gonna argue insurance with you because unless your in the business I highly doubt you know much more then the average Joe. Yes your right a reputable insurance carrier with cover you for just above anything. Including be stupid with a light duty truck. That said there are about 10 or 20 non reputable insurance companies around for every one that is reputable. I've seen insurance companies deny claims for far less then being stupid. Again if you are with a reputable company they will cover you for just about anything. Again my point was insurance is likely not to be an issue as long as your not doing something with your equipment it wasn't designed to do even then not likely to be a problem. My comment was more for the guys that claim if your 100 lbs over on any of your capacities you could have insurance issues. And like you already know that is not likely to be an issue. So if your comfortable with your setup then your probably fine (within reason)..
Quick guess of how this thread is going to go half will say you will be over your trucks payload when loaded and you need a diffrent truck the other half say payload is just a suggestion. The weight that jayco lists is without any optional equipment added at the factory or any items you put in the fifthwheel. I put my money on you being over your payload when you install a fifthwheel in the bed all the people are loaded in the truck and the trailer is ready to camp. You will get many opinions on this but in the end it is your choice.

Referencing my very first post on this thread I guess we agree more than we disagree. I find it interesting how this type of thread always have a lot of posts. And by the way I would never tow a 14k fifthwheel with any 1/2 ton so we agree there as well.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:56 PM   #73

Watch the weight!

We had a generator and washer/drier in our 377RLBH and it was right at 4000 lbs on the pin. That's loaded up for travel with about 30 gallons of fresh water.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:15 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
So in all your years of driving semis were the officers extra nice to you if you were only a few hundred pounds over your axle limit and very hard on you when you were a few thousand pounds over? Or were the fines the same? You can get an f150 that is rated to tow 14k with a payload of 3250. I can assure you i know plenty about trucks. It was not a question about the stress on the truck but the fact your insurance company would cover you if your just a little over your trucks rating.
I drive professionally, I run a 8 axle rig and trailer, licensed to 105,500. If I run the scales 200 over on any drive or trailer axle they will not say anything, if I do that 1k over I get a ticket, the fines are based per pound too.

2020 Ford F350 XLT 4x4 SCLB, FX4, 6.7 Diesel
2021 NorthWood Nash 29S, OTG, Solar
2014 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 HD, SCLB, 5.0 373 SOLD
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHS SOLD
ToppDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:17 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppDogg View Post
I drive professionally, I run a 8 axle rig and trailer, licensed to 105,500. If I run the scales 200 over on any drive or trailer axle they will not say anything, if I do that 1k over I get a ticket, the fines are based per pound too.
So your telling me they are extra nice to you 😃 What kind of rig a Peterbilt or the other guy. I was just checking the cost of running overloaded by state some are pretty easy on the wallet Wyoming gives a warning with your first offense, others like Rhode island are ridiculous $65 per pound up to 10,000 $125 for every pound over 10,000. And in Texas you can actually do jail time for multiple offenses.
Old 02-02-2021, 06:02 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
So I bought a new 2021 Ram 3500 SRW HO Cummings with all the bells and whistles. Anisin Transmission, Auto Level Rear suspension.

Went to RV Show to look a an Eagle 355 MBQ, ended up buying the North Point.

On the Buy order - Pin Weight 2855, UVW 14,040, CCC 2,710, GVWR 16,750

My Truck - Cargo Capacity 3620, Tow 24,000, GVWR 11,800, Front Axle 6,000, Rear Axle 7,000. GCWR 32,000.

I know I can tow it and stop it. I know I'll be under GCWR of 32K

I am close on Cargo Capacity and probably close on Rear Axle.

Who has this set up? Am I over thinking it? It would be a $14K education to trade the ruck back in on a Dully................
We regularly tow a 2018 North Point 377DBFS with a 2017 SRW Ford F350 4x4. I believe you'll be just fine if you pay attention and not get into a hurry. Happy travels man and congrats on the new rig!
EricGlamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:15 PM   #77

I figured I’d update everyone on how this turned out....

So as previously stated I canceled the Northpoint Order.

We were just going to stay with what we had.

Of course, that didn’t last and we ordered a Grand Design 340 RDS - 15K GVWR

I would have been just fine with my Truck.

Well, the dealer dropped the camper of the truck when moving and damaged the front cap.

Unreal, we were a month away from vacation. I didn’t want a repaired unit and didn’t have time to wait for a new one.

Started looking for other options.

Found a 377 RLBH on the lot two hours away. Drove up the next morning, looked at it and remembered why we liked it so much.

Try to buy it and they were extremely high on price. Didn’t think we’d get a deal done, but we did.

Went the next week to pick it up.

Loaded in the truck and it didn’t squat at all. I’m thinking I’ll be good.

Towed it home and handled great.

The next weekend we went for a shake down trip. On the way I stopped at the scales.

I was over 800 lbs GVWR on truck, 360 on rear axle and 80 lbs in the tires.

Long story short, if all goes tight I’ll pick up my Ram DRW on Monday. Put a deposit down today.

I loved the truck I have, but will much better with the added capacity of the DRW.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:21 PM   #78

Awesome, thanks for the update and don't forget pics when you get that setup.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:51 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
I figured I’d update everyone on how this turned out....

Long story short, if all goes tight I’ll pick up my Ram DRW on Monday. Put a deposit down today.

I loved the truck I have, but will much better with the added capacity of the DRW.
Don't think you will regret upgrading to a bigger truck.

I came into a similar situation with my 2015 2500HD Duramax CC SB 4x4 SRW. It pulled my non-Jayco 5th wheel 16.5K great with no problems on the hills in Kentucky, Tennessee and a trip to Florida 2020. Pulled it 3yrs with the 2500HD.

But ended up in March buying a 2021 3500HD Duramax CC LB 4x4 DRW. Felt when my future plans are to go to the Rockies, I would feel more comfortable in a DRW coming down the mountains. I also elected to replace the 36 gallon fuel tank with a 60 gallon one (ouch). Haven't taken a trip with it yet as other things have come up preventing us on getting away from home.

Happy trucking and be safe -
Old 08-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #80

Bill2e,

We had the same situation. In eatly 2019 bought a F350 SB SRW with 6.7 diesel thinking that would pull anything we wanted. In August that year the DW fell in love with a Pinnacle 36FBTS. Truck pulled it great but running the numbers I knew it was pushing the max payload on the truck. In March of this year we upgraded to a 2021 F350 LB DRW with 6.7. Man, one of the best decision. Good luck and be safe.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote