Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #41

Bill2e, I gave you my #'s, actual #'s from the scales. My 2018 Ram 3500 SRW has a 4200 lb payload. I have a hard tonneau cover, a 60 gallon auxiliary fuel tank and pull a 2019 Jayco 355MBQS. I know I'm close on max #'s but it pulls good and safely and I know I'm under on the #'s. I added Timbrens and it's even more stable. If they refuse to give you the $2k back, I say apply it to another Jayco Eagle 5'er. Just my two cents.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #42

Thanks- that’s where I screwed up by getting the short Bed 11,800 GVWR

I only have 3600 payload
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
Thanks- that’s where I screwed up by getting the short Bed 11,800 GVWR

I only have 3600 payload
Understand. Our first TT was an Open Range 34' TT. They first tried to sell us the Cougar which was even heavier. We had just bought the 2016 Ram 1500 with Hemi. TT was 6400 lbs empty and was still too much for the 1500. We had a 321 rear diff which lessened towing capacity by 2000 pounds. Thus, the 3500. Expensive lesson.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Understand. Our first TT was an Open Range 34' TT. They first tried to sell us the Cougar which was even heavier. We had just bought the 2016 Ram 1500 with Hemi. TT was 6400 lbs empty and was still too much for the 1500. We had a 321 rear diff which lessened towing capacity by 2000 pounds. Thus, the 3500. Expensive lesson.

That was my last truck. That’s why we originally bought a small camper.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:27 PM   #45

Quote:
That was my last truck. That’s why we originally bought a small camper.
So of course after getting the 3500 we had to get a bigger camper, lol.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
So of course after getting the 3500 we had to get a bigger camper, lol.
Of course..........Once all the dust settles I'm sure we will too. I just need to step away for a while. One more season in the Cougar
Old 01-24-2021, 06:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Of course..........Once all the dust settles IIt 'm sure we will too. I just need to step away for a while. One more season in the Cougar
It could be worse. You could be waiting on parts. I'm still waiting on an awning arm strut since August. Others are waiting on a lot more important parts.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:58 PM   #48

2020 North Point 383FKWS

I have a 2018 Ram 3500 SRW with Cummins, I have most of the Bells and Whistles with short box, not the extra capability of the auto suspension on the truck. I am extremely close to the payload capacity, but that being said, The 383FKWS has the heaviest pin weight due to the forward kitchen. I have towed about 4500 miles and have had no problems with the tow.

What kind of hitch are you going with?
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:00 PM   #49

This is my setup

This is my setup. By the way be prepared to put a new set of tires. I ate my tires alive on first tow, which the tire shop said not unusual, the factory tires are soft rubber and will not last. I upgraded the tires, and increase the load capacity of each tire by about 380 lb rating.
Attached Thumbnails
E53A5DE3-E8A7-4EE0-9596-87D8B9CD3BB0.jpg  
USNMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #50

Fifth wheel towing

Quote:
So I bought a new 2021 Ram 3500 SRW HO Cummings with all the bells and whistles. Anisin Transmission, Auto Level Rear suspension.

Went to RV Show to look a an Eagle 355 MBQ, ended up buying the North Point.

On the Buy order - Pin Weight 2855, UVW 14,040, CCC 2,710, GVWR 16,750

My Truck - Cargo Capacity 3620, Tow 24,000, GVWR 11,800, Front Axle 6,000, Rear Axle 7,000. GCWR 32,000.

I know I can tow it and stop it. I know I'll be under GCWR of 32K

I am close on Cargo Capacity and probably close on Rear Axle.

Who has this set up? Am I over thinking it? It would be a $14K education to trade the ruck back in on a Dully................

I looks like you have 800 lbs free for cargo. However you have to remember the cargo includes people and your hitch. If you carry 4 adult guys then you might hit it. Since your close what I’d do is use an Anderson hitch. It weights 35 lbs. it will also convert your fifth wheel hitch to gooseneck. A lot smoother and easier hookup. Plus it’s easy to remove if you want the bed space. That’s what I’m running and haven’t had an issue in the two years I went to it. You didn’t mention your bed length, but the Anderson moves your pin location rearward 4” so you can use a short bed without fear of hitting the cab.
Hope this helps.
Bill &Brenda
Charleston SC
Bill29456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #51

I pull a North Point 375 BHFS with a 2018 RAM Cummins 3500 Single Wheel with a B&W Companion Slider Hitch....No problems at all...
SlawDawg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:36 PM   #52

Before you get too worried, load everything up and take it to a scale and see what happens. It may not be as bad as some on this forum suggest. I pulled a 355 MBQS across the country from SC to Washington state and back with a wife and three kids in a Chevy 2500 crew cab Duramax. I had (and have) a Reese Goosebox and it serves us well.

Now, I will tell you that for about the first month and a half of that trip, I wished I had a dually. Trucks would approach me on the left and I would get sucked in and then spat out when they passed. I may have bought a dually in Amarillo if one had been available. I even dreamed that my father met me in Walden CO, and said "son, I can't stand it. Your rig is unsafe. I will buy you a dually." Well, he did meet us in Walden, but he did not buy us a dually. My issue was pin weight. I was over by about 150lbs when we left.

As long as you are not too overloaded, and as long as the rig does not pivot on the ball too much when a big truck goes by, you can make it work. My advice is:

1. Be religious about maintaining proper tire pressure. Check all tires every morning before you go out;
2. If you are overloaded on the pin, try running on 1/2 or 3/4 tank of fuel, and/or moving some stuff from the front storage compartment to inside your trailer but NOT behind the trailer axel
3. Keep your hwy speed at 60mph.

You will know if you are dangerously overloaded. If, for example, the rear axel of your truck rests on the bump stops when hitched, that is a problem. If you are overloaded in every category, that is a problem. If you feel like your rig is out of control when you are driving, that is a problem too.

Best of luck!
Rgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #53

ram 3500

Quote:
So I bought a new 2021 Ram 3500 SRW HO Cummings with all the bells and whistles. Anisin Transmission, Auto Level Rear suspension.

My Truck - Cargo Capacity 3620, Tow 24,000, GVWR 11,800, Front Axle 6,000, Rear Axle 7,000. GCWR 32,000.

Who has this set up? Am I over thinking it? It would be a $14K education to trade the ruck back in on a Dully................
Based on the numbers, I think you'll be fine, Just send it. I am a member of multiple Ram Cummins forums, and see this all day long. That may sound non-chalant, but really, it comes down to personal comfort. The truck frame is designed for more, but the suspension pieces vary depending on the model.

Your payload of 3260 - pin weight of 2855 leaves you with a remaining cargo capacity of ~ 820lbs. Factor in yourself, wife, dog, and a tank of gas (7lb/gal *30 gallons=210lbs) - you are close but within tolerances.

Depending on how the truck responds to having the camper attached, you may want to consider airbags - I have a 2500 SRW with a max payload of 2460 and a Pin weight of 1980 - I am probably over by 1-200 lbs, and the truck rides perfectly level already. (319MLOK)

I too had first bought a truck, ram 1500 with 1600lb payload, then upgraded to the the 2500, then upgraded the camper from bumper pull to 5th wheel. I paid very close attention to the pin weight & the campers I picked, even bought the air bags, and didn't need them. (picture attached for reference)

My bumper pull camper used to move the truck around, frankly it was pretty scary on windy roads, so I upgraded to the 2500 - the weight of the truck makes it a more settled ride. When I went to a 5th wheel, it was a better ride all around, because it wasn't bouncing up and down on the bumper (vs the axle).

I'm sure someone will say you have to have the dually, but honestly, you will be fine with what you have. If you were going to permanently be travelling in it, ie retirement, then maybe worth the investment, but otherwise, the inconvenience of the size of the dually is probably not worth it vs. the perceived risk.

The dually & SRW will have the same engine, so mountains won't be the issue, more of a matter of the more miles you plan to cover. I might have chosen a dually if it was going to take me across country multiple times, just for the extra stability, but honestly, I've driven about 10k miles so far with my 5th wheel, and nothing compares to the scary feeling I had when crossing a bridge with my 1500 - watching the tail of the camper swing back & forth while you're driving straight, or worse, counter steering against the wind - never had any of that with the 5th wheel. I drive between 50 and 400 miles for various vacation (each way), and have been very happy with my choice.

You are within your weight restrictions, so there is no legal issue, more a matter of ride quality - which you won't REALLY know until you hook it up - and there are things you can do from there without replacing the truck.

Good luck in your decision.
Josh
Attached Thumbnails
camper and truck.jpg  
Joshuaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #54

STW Cummins

I wonder what bed you have? Is it the 6’4? Anyway, I just went thru this same thought process. I bought a 21 Talon 403T. It’s similar to what you will be towing. My 2018 2500 Ram Cummins with the 6’4” bed towed it. But I can tell you it felt every mile. The truck swayed and bucked a good bit. The trailer definitely felt heavy back there. I bought an Anderson Ultimate fifth wheel hitch to save weight. I absolutely love the hitch. I have however traded in the truck for a 2020 Ram 3500 dually and feel much more comfortable towing now. You got the good tranny, I had the 68rfe which wasn’t so good. You also have a 3500 and that going to be more stable. I would run it. If you have an opportunity to upgrade to a dually some day, I would recommend doing that but I’d just go camping and see how she feels.
PA Nate308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:24 PM   #55

Ram 3500 SRW

I have a 2019 Ram Laramie with standard Cummins and tranny with 4k payload and 20k towing. Been in high winds, 122 degree deserts, long 6% grades and all has been well.
I had a DRW before this truck and hated it and with the lockdowns the DRW would've been a huge liability as some drive thrus aren't wide enough for a DRW to fit.
Lord-Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #56

I would pay attention to the axle ratings. Don’t exceed them and you will be fine. If LEO stops you they will get the portable scales out and check if you are over.
My Ford F-250 and Bighorn fifth is the same weights as you and I’m good. Don’t sweat it/go have fun.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #57

Stopped reading all the noise so don’t know if you got a similar response...

I have a similar setup but GMC 3500 with the off-road package.

Loaded weight on our 2018 377RLBH with residential fridege, a stacked washer/dryer and full load of clothes for full-timing, 2 Interstated batteries, some firewood and duraflame logs in the front bay and a good load of tools, chairs, basic camping accessories in addition to the small refer and a small Weber grill in the outside kitchen and 3 30 lb propane tanks for the winter plus a 20 for the BBQ and a full load of water and fuel is:

Total Trailer 17,520 lbs
pin 3700 lbs.

We use the Anderson Ultimate hitch at 40 lbs and love it.

We love the truck and as full timers are glad we didn’t get a dually because of parking although we are on the fence as to whether we would have preferred a long bed just for better angles when parking the trailer but the trade off of parking at sites and stores would be a pain. I’m disabled and my wife does the driving and wouldn’t drive a long bed dually. Just remember that the exhaust brake is your friend. Don’t know if the Ram does it but the GMC integrates with cruise control to maintain a steady speed and does a fantastic job!

The only problems we have are the Rancho shocks which just aren’t designed for towing and GMC should have used something stiffer. I’m thinking of switching to Bilsteins for better damping and rebound and/or adding a set of Timbrens or Sumo Springs.

We still need to shave some weight but
InMyImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:21 PM   #58

Should have also added that hidden in the pin and trailer weight is an 8 gallon air compressor, a 5 gallon jug of diesel, 2.5 gallon jug of DEF and other minor things. I’d guage the total to be about 100 lbs
InMyImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #59

Quote:

I have a 2012 3500 SRW with diesel. I have the Jayco 355 MBQS and get along good with it.
davidwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #60

I think you may be overthinking it. And I'm not going to ding you for spelling errors. This isn't' getting published, it's silly to even mention it. I didn't get past the second sentence of that reply, so apologies if I'm rehashing....

Truck is 11,8. With 3620 cargo capacity. Anderson Ultimate is what, 60 pounds? Now you have 3540 to use up. Pin weight is 2855. Now you have 685 to use. If you have nothing else in the truck, do you and your family weigh that? With any various accoutrements in the truck, like jumper cables and such. I would assume no. You should be fine.

You also have 2,710 pounds worth of cargo you can put in the RV. That's not counting the fridge and stove and all the other stuff that comes with it - that's in the 11,800. Food, chairs, whatever. That's a lot of stuff you can put in there. If you have other things in your truck that may put you over weight, put it in the RV. Even with truck and trailer maxed out, you're still way below your GCVWR.

You're fine. Not as much leeway as I'd like, but like you said, that bell has been rung. Keep on keeping on.
specialK is offline   Reply With Quote