Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #1

Ram 3500 Diesel SRW - North Point 377 RLBH

So I bought a new 2021 Ram 3500 SRW HO Cummings with all the bells and whistles. Anisin Transmission, Auto Level Rear suspension.

Went to RV Show to look a an Eagle 355 MBQ, ended up buying the North Point.

On the Buy order - Pin Weight 2855, UVW 14,040, CCC 2,710, GVWR 16,750

My Truck - Cargo Capacity 3620, Tow 24,000, GVWR 11,800, Front Axle 6,000, Rear Axle 7,000. GCWR 32,000.

I know I can tow it and stop it. I know I'll be under GCWR of 32K

I am close on Cargo Capacity and probably close on Rear Axle.

Who has this set up? Am I over thinking it? It would be a $14K education to trade the ruck back in on a Dully................
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #2

Quick guess of how this thread is going to go half will say you will be over your trucks payload when loaded and you need a diffrent truck the other half say payload is just a suggestion. The weight that jayco lists is without any optional equipment added at the factory or any items you put in the fifthwheel. I put my money on you being over your payload when you install a fifthwheel in the bed all the people are loaded in the truck and the trailer is ready to camp. You will get many opinions on this but in the end it is your choice.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:25 AM   #3

Thats why you buy the rv first. I had the same issue
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcf7 View Post
Thats why you buy the rv first. I had the same issue

Can't un-ring that bell at this point.

Didn't even consider the Payload when seeing the 24K tow capacity.

Going to go with a Reese Goose Box to save the 200# hitch in the bed.

I also don't understand how the payload is so low.

11,800 GVWR - 7716 Curb Weight should leave be right at 4,084. I'd be fine with that.

3,620 will be close. Honestly even the Eagle would be close.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #5

I’m using the Anderson ultimate
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
Can't un-ring that bell at this point.

Didn't even consider the Payload when seeing the 24K tow capacity.

Going to go with a Reese Goose Box to save the 200# hitch in the bed.

11,800 GVWR - 7716 Curb Weight should leave be right at 4,084. I'd be fine with that.

3,620 will be close. Honestly even the Eagle would be close.
X2 on this idea.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #7

For my needs which is just summertime camping I will stick with an srw all day, if I was full timing in an rv and traveling across the country I would consider a dually. I would also say load it up and run it over a scale to see where your at if your worried about it and go from there, I think you’ll be fine.

CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch
Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:21 PM   #8

I don't have the Aisin transmission on my '16 3500 dually, I have the 68rfe. I'd guesstimate that our TV's are about the same, but I have 2 extra wheels at the rear. I think you'll be fine with the 377, which is what I tow. Tow it and see what you think...go to a CAT scale and take some measurements. If you find you need the dually than go for it!

Edit: I should add that I 1st towed our 377 with a Ram 2500, but he dually is way better and more comfortable!
Old 01-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #9

I pull a 2017 375 Northpoint with a 3500 dually Duramax.
Smart choice, regardless if it's a Cummins, Duramax, or Powerstroke. You wont be sorry on the diesel.
As far as SRW vs DRW I've pulled with both and a DRW is the way to go. Much more stable on the back end of the truck. My truck has one purpose, pull my trailer. That's it. My previous truck was a DRW and I used it as a daily driver for a while and had no issues. For some a DRW is not a good daily driver.
800# of wiggle room of cargo capacity is not a whole lot. Figure minimum 300# of people in the truck and another couple hundred for the hitch,... and the advertised pin weight is going to increase when your DW starts to load the trailer. It's a woman thing, they over pack. God bless them! Lol!
Like previous posted, I'd hook it up and take it to the scales and get real time weight and go from there.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
So I bought a new 2021 Ram 3500 SRW HO Cummings with all the bells and whistles. Anisin Transmission, Auto Level Rear suspension.
Quote:
Didn't even consider the Payload when seeing the 24K tow capacity...

First of all its a CUMMINS, not Cummings. Jennifer Aniston isn't affiliated with the Aisin transmission either.

Second of all, "all the bells and whistles" means WEIGHT.

Clearly you didn't consider PAYLOAD when you bought the heaviest version of the truck.

Finally, when you buy the HEAVIEST version of the truck, its payload automatically becomes the lowest. Your 11,300 lbs GVWR gets eaten up by every little option and doo-dad on your truck.

I'll give the same advice that I'm sure you've already seen... Load your truck up as if you were going camping. All the people, all the stuff. Drive it across a scale and get your axle weights. Take those axle weights and subtract it from your GVWR. That number is your available payload. I can promise you that if you think you are close or slightly over, that you are actually pretty far over. Full tank of fuel, full tank of DEF, clothes, food, dogs, wife, children, chairs, hitch, fire wood, bikes, etc will only increase your weight beyond what you think your truck weighs.

Then, load up this trailer that you bought on a whim and weigh it as well. I can promise you that your pin weight will be MUCH higher than you are estimating. A 5th wheel should have at least 20% tongue weight. Fully loaded you could have a tongue weight of 3500 lbs or more. I'm guessing your camper will be loaded, because you sure can't put any stuff in your "bells and whistles" loaded truck. That pin weight they are quoting is 20% of an empty trailer... Not a chance it'll weigh that little. Couple tanks of propane, couple batteries and the weight will go up more. Food, clothing, bedding, etc and it goes up even more.

Unless you are camping alone and bringing an absolutely empty trailer, you will likely be overloaded. Not overloaded by a little but, but overloaded by hundreds of lbs.

Looks like your axle rating is 7000 lbs in the rear? Depending upon how heavy it is empty, you might still be under your axle ratings, even if you are over your GVWR. Your choice if you want to drive it over your GVWR, but I would never recommend exceeding your axle ratings. Ram says the weakest link on your rear axle will support 7000, I wouldn't want to exceed it and figure out what the weak link is. Also if you exceed your GVWR, pay to register for a higher weight otherwise you will be illegal.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 06:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
First of all its a CUMMINS, not Cummings. Jennifer Aniston isn't affiliated with the Aisin transmission either.

Second of all, "all the bells and whistles" means WEIGHT.

Clearly you didn't consider PAYLOAD when you bought the heaviest version of the truck.

Finally, when you buy the HEAVIEST version of the truck, its payload automatically becomes the lowest. Your 11,300 lbs GVWR gets eaten up by every little option and doo-dad on your truck.

I'll give the same advice that I'm sure you've already seen... Load your truck up as if you were going camping. All the people, all the stuff. Drive it across a scale and get your axle weights. Take those axle weights and subtract it from your GVWR. That number is your available payload. I can promise you that if you think you are close or slightly over, that you are actually pretty far over. Full tank of fuel, full tank of DEF, clothes, food, dogs, wife, children, chairs, hitch, fire wood, bikes, etc will only increase your weight beyond what you think your truck weighs.

Then, load up this trailer that you bought on a whim and weigh it as well. I can promise you that your pin weight will be MUCH higher than you are estimating. A 5th wheel should have at least 20% tongue weight. Fully loaded you could have a tongue weight of 3500 lbs or more. I'm guessing your camper will be loaded, because you sure can't put any stuff in your "bells and whistles" loaded truck. That pin weight they are quoting is 20% of an empty trailer... Not a chance it'll weigh that little. Couple tanks of propane, couple batteries and the weight will go up more. Food, clothing, bedding, etc and it goes up even more.

Unless you are camping alone and bringing an absolutely empty trailer, you will likely be overloaded. Not overloaded by a little but, but overloaded by hundreds of lbs.

Looks like your axle rating is 7000 lbs in the rear? Depending upon how heavy it is empty, you might still be under your axle ratings, even if you are over your GVWR. Your choice if you want to drive it over your GVWR, but I would never recommend exceeding your axle ratings. Ram says the weakest link on your rear axle will support 7000, I wouldn't want to exceed it and figure out what the weak link is. Also if you exceed your GVWR, pay to register for a higher weight otherwise you will be illegal.

Thanks for the feedback, sorry for the spelling errors......

We didn’t buy the camper on a whim, it was on the list of one to look at. We found the features to be much better than the Eagle.

The mistake I made was buying the truck first. There dealer I bought it from has an identical DRW coming in in February, but it will cost me 14K to make the change. What they say about losing 10K when you drive off lot is true.

Yes I’ll be close, but think I’ll be with in the limits from all the research I’ve done.

Quite frankly, if this truck can’t tow the North Point, then it can’t tow the Eagle either.

GVWR on the Ram is 11,800 and GCVW is around 32,500.

Yes, the axle weight is the limiting factor. At this point I want the camper and I’ll take it to scales and go from there. I agree that I do not want to exceed the axle limit.

Again, I did a bunch of research before and after the purchase obviously I made a few errors.

Many people are towing much more with less.

My original question was asking who is towing this specific camper with a new RAM 3500.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:31 PM   #12

We pull a similar unit, a 2019 Pinnacle 37MDQS, with a 2018 Ram 3500, SRW. We just purchased a 2020 Ram 3500, but have not towed the Pinnacle as yet. I'm very happy with all aspects of the entire set up. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Dave
73stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73stroker View Post
We pull a similar unit, a 2019 Pinnacle 37MDQS, with a 2018 Ram 3500, SRW. We just purchased a 2020 Ram 3500, but have not towed the Pinnacle as yet. I'm very happy with all aspects of the entire set up. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Dave
Did you buy another SRW? Thanks.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:36 PM   #14

Yes, another SRW.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, sorry for the spelling errors......

We didn’t buy the camper on a whim, it was on the list of one to look at. We found the features to be much better than the Eagle.

The mistake I made was buying the truck first. There dealer I bought it from has an identical DRW coming in in February, but it will cost me 14K to make the change. What they say about losing 10K when you drive off lot is true.

Yes I’ll be close, but think I’ll be with in the limits from all the research I’ve done.

Quite frankly, if this truck can’t tow the North Point, then it can’t tow the Eagle either.

GVWR on the Ram is 11,800 and GCVW is around 32,500.

Yes, the axle weight is the limiting factor. At this point I want the camper and I’ll take it to scales and go from there. I agree that I do not want to exceed the axle limit.

Again, I did a bunch of research before and after the purchase obviously I made a few errors.

Many people are towing much more with less.

My original question was asking who is towing this specific camper with a new RAM 3500.

Thanks.
Wow, Bill. You stumbled into a tough crowd, what with grammarians and all. I don't have a SRW so I cannot answer your original question. I am sure some one will pipe up with some HELPFUL experience. I can, however echo the Anderson Ultimate hitch. At 40 or so pounds, it will help reduce the payload. If you intend on hitting the mountains regularly, like I did across the Canadian Rockies, loaded to the hilt, then I would suggest a DRW or a lighter 5er. Either way, "Fair winds and following seas".

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:13 PM   #16

Okay, so now that you have what you have just hook it up and go to the weight station, I mean it is what it is, and if you load it right you should be okay, close but okay.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springhook View Post
Wow, Bill. You stumbled into a tough crowd, what with grammarians and all. I don't have a SRW so I cannot answer your original question. I am sure some one will pipe up with some HELPFUL experience. I can, however echo the Anderson Ultimate hitch. At 40 or so pounds, it will help reduce the payload. If you intend on hitting the mountains regularly, like I did across the Canadian Rockies, loaded to the hilt, then I would suggest a DRW or a lighter 5er. Either way, "Fair winds and following seas".

Thanks, I appreciate the helpful feedback. There’s a lot lot of good information to be found on these message boards. Sometimes you’ve got to filter through a little BS. I just try to keep it above the line. Looking forward to the new rig, should take delivery in April.

We will be camping in our current rig next month and the anticipation will really hit us then.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:06 AM   #18

I believe there’s a general rule that you can estimate your pin weight by taking 20% of the trailer’s GVWR.

In your case your loaded pin weight will be around the 3300 pound range. You’re probably going to be over if you add passengers, hitch, tools, etc.

After you go to the scales and find out what your real weights are, you can decide if you’re comfortable with that setup.
Like you, I’ve seen people towing more with less. If you plan to travel close to home, on fairly flat terrain and not too often, you’ll probably be okay. If you plan to travel to camps many hours away, through any big hills or mountains, you’re definitely going to need a dually. Good luck with your decision.

I tow my 377 with an F350 DRW

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #19

Bille2,

You have the right truck. No matter what anyone says, tow the crap out of your new trailer and enjoy it.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #20

I agree you have the right truck. Hook it up and enjoy!

Dave