Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #1

Ram box with a Fifth wheel?

I see on Ram build site that if I add the Ram Box I can't have the factory fifth wheel prep. I think it's a space issue.
So....does that mean all FW hitches are not able to be attached if Ram Boxes are present or just that it would have to be adapted to fit?
Anyone have seen this before?
And before anyone goes off on the Rambox, I know that it is not a popular option, most will say "just get a truck box".
But I'm a short guy and Rambox is perfect for my height and my needs.
Most truck boxes require a reach that I can't do.
Back to the question, any expierance with Rambox and a fifth wheel hitch?
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #2

https://www.etrailer.com/question-133727.html

https://www.etrailer.com/question-212209.html

Seems like trying to push a wet rope up a hill to me but I guess if you "have" to have a rambox it can be done.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #3

You might want to look at some of the videos on u-tube. They show how some have added a stationary hitch in the short bed, with the Ram Box and by using the Reese Revolution on the 5th wheel they avoid truck/FW contact.

You might want to also consider a Pull-Rite auto slider. The pull-rite has its own under truck mounts so 4 holes in your bed floor are required. Many complain because the hitch is heavy. I purchased a 1 ton engine hoist from Harbor Freight for $89 and use it to remove and install my hitch.

Have a 2011 dodge short bed, love the auto slider, wish they had the ram box when I purchased mine. I put an aluminum box in front of my hitch.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #4

Do a search on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum. There's a guy on there that put a 5th wheel hitch in and gives pretty detailed instructions and pics of the process that he used. Sorry that I don't have a direct link.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #5

Interesting question!! My brother has the ram box for the same reason you do. If there is an issue, it would be bed wall height. I will do a little measuring tomorrow on his truck's wall height and overall height.. I have a 2016 F350 Ford with a fifth wheel installed. The overall height of today's trucks are creating issues with being able to keep the trailer's level and still have a comfortable margin of safety of not having contact between the pickup sides and camper. I had an F250 and went to a F350 and it raised the truck up 3 inches in height. The height on the 250 gave ample clearance with the trailer level. The additional 3 inches of height in the 350 now gives scant margin for error between the bed walls and fifth wheel. I'll get back after some measuring.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #6

Blue,

My buddy has a ‘13 Ram 2500 w/ the Ram Box pulling a 5r. He has the PullRite autoslider, due to a dealer salesman “selling my buddy” that he called the factory (PullRite) and they said no problem, will work fine!!! But there was issues to be encountered!!! Problem was the pin box hit the bed rail once the truck and 5r were no longer on level ground.

He spent ~$1k having the pin box cut and reinforced to clear the bed rails, plus raising the 5r 6” so its somewhat level. And that price he paid was the “family price” due to his uncle owning the weld shop and doing all the work.

Everything he had found online before buying the 5r was that the Reese Revolution/Sidewinder was the only way to go to not have issues. He only went with the PullRite due to being “sold” that it would work.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote