Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Ram short bed, sliding or non-sliding hitch

I ordered 2018 29.5 BHOK and I'm wondering if I should buy a sliding hitch or not. The last fifth wheel I had was a 1989 and I had to have a slider to get into tighter spots. You guys with the eagle HT's, what do you think?
Twilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:46 AM   #2

I had a slider in my previous Ram short bed but never needed it and swapped it out for "standard legs" for my current TV. Legs vs. slider also saved me quite a bit of weight.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #3

I have a 2011 GMC 2500 short aka standard bed and a 2016 Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS. I got a fixed stationary hitch and no issues so far. I haven't looked to see how close it gets in a tight turn pushing 90*. But then again, I never try to go that far. This is our first 5er. Until a year ago, I'd never towed a 5th wheel, just ball hitch trailers. You can never go beyond 60* to 75* or so with those anyhow. So my don't push it too far mentality stems from towing TT's.

Getting it out of winter storage next Friday. I plan on trying it with a buddy to watch the clearance for me to see how close it gets.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #4

I pulled my 28.5 RSTS with first a 2007 Ram with a short bed and then​ a 2016 Ram with a short bed. No issues whatever. I used an Andersen Ultimate hitch.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

We have a 2015 RAM short bed with slider hitch. No issues, but we never used any other type of hitch for comparison. It was recommended to us and we didn't want to risk anything.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #6

I've got a 2011 Ford F-250 short bed but have a gooseneck hitch, so I went with the Andersen gooseneck adapter hitch

Beach Cart XL
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:55 PM   #7

Yes get a slider. There are those short bed owners without a slider who have hit their truck and those that will hit their truck. Don't be that guy....
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #8

I have a short bed Ram with the Reese Revolution and love it. Standard 5th wheel hitch is a lot lighter than a slider. I have a 2015 27.5 RLTS
rbintheup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #9

Well after some sleepless nights and a lot of research I've decided on a Reese revolution pin box. I'm going to call the dealership Monday to see if I can cancel the moryde an go with the revolution. I would think it wouldn't be a problem since they haven't started to build it.
Twilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 AM   #10

In my research of towing a 5th wheel I've come across the Anderson Ultimate hitch. However what I don't understand is what problem does it solve vs. a standard, non-sliding 5th wheel hitch...?

Happy Easter.
reeses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbintheup View Post
I have a short bed Ram with the Reese Revolution and love it. Standard 5th wheel hitch is a lot lighter than a slider. I have a 2015 27.5 RLTS

X2 - But I have a 2016 29.5 BHDS and a Toyota Tundra

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeses View Post
In my research of towing a 5th wheel I've come across the Anderson Ultimate hitch. However what I don't understand is what problem does it solve vs. a standard, non-sliding 5th wheel hitch...?

Happy Easter.
It only weighs 40 pounds.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeses View Post

Happy Easter.
The problems it solved for me:
  • It was a lot less expensive
  • Lighter weight/easy to take in and out
  • Gives you enough clearance in short bed to make tight turns without the need of a slider
  • Much easier to hook up if not on level ground
  • Less chucking because no moving parts with tolerances

What sold me was the less weight and much cheaper, after I got it I found out all the other advantages.
Beach Cart XL
Old 04-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #14

Ram short bed, sliding or non-sliding hitch

This is an interesting discussion. I've got a Chevy with the standard(6.5') bed. I've got a slider, and have used it a few times. Primarily at my storage unit which is tight. That being said, I'm new to towing a fw, and it's probably just masking some bad technique. I have a feeling I could get get by without it with better planning and more practice. Even with mine not slid back, I can make a significant u-turn.

I could potentially see an Anderson in my future because of two things I don't like about my slider. Weight..... I took the hitch head off and was left with the base and slide mechanism which in my case is one unit. Tried to lift it out. I aborted that mission quickly. Had a vision of cortisone shots, missed work and physical therapy flash before me. The other thing I don't like is that the tubes it slides on allow for some chucking/noise on rough roads. Not a big deal, but a minor annoyance. The Anderson, all though a fixed position has an offset around 5.5" which be enough to compromise between a slider and fixed hitch.

What I do like is the ease of hookup. This hitch hooks up/disconnects so easily. No chains, no getting the ball lined up. Just set the attitude of the trailer, back under it and click. Insert the pin and done.

For reference I have a Curt Q16 slider.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 AM   #15

Yep weight is an issue with a slider. My pullrite is probably sneaking up to a couple of hundred pounds. I use my small tractor with the pallet forks attached to get it in and out. Piece of cake if you have the right equipment. If I didn't have access to a tractor I would look seriously at the Anderson and/or replacing my truck with a long bed.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #16

-Good discussion here! I am trying to decide on a 5th wheel hitch. The more I read on various forums the more I flip flop between anderson and a slider. Right now leaning towards the Anderson mostly for the same reasons listed by GlampinLife. I am towing with a GMC HD 6.5' bed and have never towed a 5th wheel before. Would like to know if and GlampinLife an I are missing something before I take the plunge.
-In another post some mentioned the disadvantage (safety) of the Anderson is that it relies on the bed of the truck to support the base of the hitch in instances of hard stops. My question is how is that different from the rails on a standard 5th wheel hitch? Don't the rails bolt to the bed also? I like the B&W turnover ball hitch. Looks like substantial underbed support.
-Anderson advertises an 8 - 9" offset which hopefully is enough to allow sharp 90deg turns with a short bed. But the offset does beg the question about the resulting force raising the front wheels and exerting extra torque on the rear wheels due to fulcrum action. I asked Anderson about that and they said it would result in no more than 200 lbs raise on the front wheels. Doing the math it could be significantly much more than that depending on the hitch weight but is it really enough to be concerned about?
Decisions!!!
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
-Good discussion here! I am trying to decide on a 5th wheel hitch. The more I read on various forums the more I flip flop between anderson and a slider. Right now leaning towards the Anderson mostly for the same reasons listed by GlampinLife. I am towing with a GMC HD 6.5' bed and have never towed a 5th wheel before. Would like to know if and GlampinLife an I are missing something before I take the plunge.
-In another post some mentioned the disadvantage (safety) of the Anderson is that it relies on the bed of the truck to support the base of the hitch in instances of hard stops. My question is how is that different from the rails on a standard 5th wheel hitch? Don't the rails bolt to the bed also? I like the B&W turnover ball hitch. Looks like substantial underbed support.
-Anderson advertises an 8 - 9" offset which hopefully is enough to allow sharp 90deg turns with a short bed. But the offset does beg the question about the resulting force raising the front wheels and exerting extra torque on the rear wheels due to fulcrum action. I asked Anderson about that and they said it would result in no more than 200 lbs raise on the front wheels. Doing the math it could be significantly much more than that depending on the hitch weight but is it really enough to be concerned about?
Decisions!!!
I don't have any marks or dents in my bed, so from personal experience and all the research I've done, I've not come across any issues and this clamps to your turnover ball. The hitch does sit on the bed so there could be minimal rubbing. If that's a concern, I'd call Andersen and let them talk through your concerns but the bed does not assist in how this hitch functions.

The first time I towed our 310 Seismic Wave with a RZR 4 seater in the garage of it, I did so without air bags and I drove from Ohio to Georgia and back, only because I didn't have time to install the air bags. After I installed the air bags it leveled the truck and made it ride a lot better (lot less bouncing).

I like the Andersen for the reasons I listed above, but it comes down to what you're most comfortable with. Had the B&W Slider for goosenecks not been so expensive and heavy, I would have bought it. Then I found the Andersen and got it first. So my opinion is not based on trying both. I'd like to get my hands on a B&W Companion Slider just to be able to compare the 2, but those things are pricey
Beach Cart XL
Old 04-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #18

Hello,
Our first 5er was a 2012, Eagle HT 23.5 RBS, now we have a 2016, Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS. I have a 2012 Chevy 1500 Silverado Crewcab with the 5.8 bed. In my personal opinion the Pullrite Superglide is the best on the market. It uses a hook instead of the pinch style to latch the kingpin. Google Pullrite and see for yourself. I have the 12k and will be upgrading to a 16k Pullrite because of my new 5er's weight and pulling my boat trailer.
Happy hunting for your hitch!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #19

It's MUCH lighter.
Dual Honda Ef2000i in parallel
GustinWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #20

Not concerned with the hitch rubbing the bed ( or were you just trying to make a point that there is no pressure on the bed to even make a scratch?). I think the issue was the bed collapsing under the force exerted on the bed through the hitch when making sudden stops.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote