Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #1

Random questions on our first big trip

I've learned a lot from reading this forum and appreciate the members contributions. I purchased a 2016 Eagle 323RSTS in May and we are about 750 miles into a 3,000 mile round trip to Yellowstone. I have run into a few issues and thought of a few questions that I thought y'all may be ale to help me with.

1. We have the smaller Norcold fridge that runs on auto or gas only. When on electric all is well but the majority of the time when on auto or on gas the gas light blinks. I don't think it is cooling when not on electric. Are there any easy troubleshooting ideas?

2. Where do the gray tanks overflow?

3. What happens if/when the black tank over flows?

Thanks in advance.
RyanRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #2

Regarding the fridge some simple checks first. Is propane tank turned on or changeover regulator feeding from a full tank? Have you bled the propane lines by lighting the burners on the stove and letting them burn for a minute or two? Sometimes the lines have air in them and the fridge uses so little propane in operation the air won't bleed out. But the stove uses plenty! Does the water heater work okay on propane?

On my RV the grey tank doesn't have an overflow, it will back up into the shower first if too full.

Likewise the black tank has no overflow either. Too full and the toilet would back up.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

Gray tanks into bath tub or shower, Black tank into toilet. Empty them and don't worry.

Robbbyr is right about fridge. Make sure the gas is on.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #4

If you are trying to run the fridge with propane while driving, it will trip a cutoff as a safety measure while driving if you aren't completely level. There is no real way to run your fridge while driving through hills that I'm aware of. Best you can do is run your fridge up until it's time to roll, then fire it up again when you stop for an hour or so. I can run about four hours before I have to get the fridge going again. When I go to Yellowstone from Washington, I run an electric cooler in my truck with my perishable food in it.
TravelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRussell View Post
I've learned a lot from reading this forum and appreciate the members contributions. I purchased a 2016 Eagle 323RSTS in May and we are about 750 miles into a 3,000 mile round trip to Yellowstone. I have run into a few issues and thought of a few questions that I thought y'all may be ale to help me with.

1. We have the smaller Norcold fridge that runs on auto or gas only. When on electric all is well but the majority of the time when on auto or on gas the gas light blinks. I don't think it is cooling when not on electric. Are there any easy troubleshooting ideas?Check the burner tube for plugging caused by mud wasps. Additionally, the igniter may not be sparking. Run the stove for a while to get any air that may be in the propane line out.

2. Where do the gray tanks overflow?
Usually onto your feet (or worse yet, your wife's feet) in the shower.

3. What happens if/when the black tank over flows?
The only place for the black tank to "overflow" would be the toilet. I'm sure that someone would notice if it was THAT full!

Thanks in advance.
Comments aded above in red....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
If you are trying to run the fridge with propane while driving, it will trip a cutoff as a safety measure while driving if you aren't completely level. There is no real way to run your fridge while driving through hills that I'm aware of. Best you can do is run your fridge up until it's time to roll, then fire it up again when you stop for an hour or so. I can run about four hours before I have to get the fridge going again. When I go to Yellowstone from Washington, I run an electric cooler in my truck with my perishable food in it.
We travel in the mountains almost exclusively and always run the frig on propane while driving. Never and issue no matter what grade were on, or how unlevel a parking lot may be. I would bet it's, as others have said, the propane lines have not been bled. That happens often.

Happy Camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #7

Well the OP isn't the only newbie because I really didn't know people left them on while driving. I was having trouble with my propane alarm going off on my first trip from WA to TX, and a veteran RVer at a rest stop told me the fridge was probably cutting off on the hills and the alarm was sounding because the propane was on with no appliance running. My manual says nothing about it, so I took his word and haven't had any other issues with it. I doubt I'll ever run my propane while traveling, but nice to know I can. Thanks.
TravelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinMan View Post
Well the OP isn't the only newbie because I really didn't know people left them on while driving. I was having trouble with my propane alarm going off on my first trip from WA to TX, and a veteran RVer at a rest stop told me the fridge was probably cutting off on the hills and the alarm was sounding because the propane was on with no appliance running. My manual says nothing about it, so I took his word and haven't had any other issues with it. I doubt I'll ever run my propane while traveling, but nice to know I can. Thanks.
TM that guy was full of it... I have never had an alarm go off with no propane being used..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

Ryan.. when the fridge lights were flashing did you turn off the selector switch wait 10 seconds and turn it back on? Sometimes it takes a while for the propane to reach the fridge and since it only sparks 3-5 times before going into "problem" mode you may find you have to stop and restart the fridge several times.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #10

If you get a blinking like while using propane that means that no propane is getting to the fridge. You need to light a burner on the stove to draw propane up the line. Did you recently fill the propane tanks or unhook the tank hoses for any reason? If so then you need to light a burner on the stove to start the flow. As soon as the burner lights just turn it off. That's all that's needed to draw enough propane into the lines.

And to the guy that said there's an automatic shutoff on the fridge if you drive. Really?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote