Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2024, 06:17 PM   #1

Rats??

So we left our camper at its new home- our property in South GA. We cane back to it after 3 weeks of being gone to find mice/small rat droppings on the floor and cabinets. It's dark out now, but in the am, I will try to access where they came in.

Any seasoned ppl fighting mice? How to keep out? We are very rural, so no kids to worry about, just other wildlife.

Fire away suggests, please
citgodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:50 PM   #2

Common question here. We've had mice in ours. Now, when we store the RV, we remove all food. All of it. Everything. We clean it, like it was a hospital. I set four traps, with peanut butter.

And I've gone around, under, in - everywhere I can see an opening and filled them w/ expanding foam and steel wool.

We pulled the drawers out, pulled some panels off. It's amazing how many holes are in the RV. At night, she's inside w/ a high power floodlight, and I'm outside and under looking for light gaps.

So far, it's been working.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:12 PM   #3

Depending on storage conditions, it's a never ending battle. Like pconroy states, you have to pull everything out including the fireplace and any screwed in boards in the cabinets, and find the holes and plug them. We use galvanized wire mesh stapled over spots, stainless steel wool stuck into holes, and even modified some of the cabinet liners with 1/8" lauan plywood, to stop those little bastards. We also use peppermint oil on cotton balls or Tomcat rodent repellant inside the cabinets and behind the drawers (evidently they don't like the smell of mint). I also crawled underneath and did the same for the chassis. look for openings and plug them with foam or stainless steel wool or that corrugated plastic sheet that is on the bottom of the camper. I also used rubber grommets to fill the holes where the wires for the electric jack legs come through the frame.
Nevr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:24 PM   #4

All good above but add wasp mesh over any openings (furnace, water heater, fridge, etc. ). If there is a way to crawl in they will, not maybe, will. Also, If left plugged in make sure the wire entry point is sealed. I fill up the space with stainless steel scrubbies and close the little hatch.

As above, I sealed from below with aluminum screen wire stuffed in and foamed in place and then went inside and found a bunch of holes cut through the floor and wired and foamed them.
Go back a few days later, you will find more the second time.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:45 PM   #5

One of these in the RV.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UnIAQcIniNg

Put automotive anti-freeze in the bucket so they drowned bastards don't stink.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 07:09 AM   #6

Endless amount of replies on this subject. I don't know about rats (many times larger than mice), but we picked up mice when we first purchased our coach at a Jayco dealer when it was parked next to a large open prarie field. Our mistake was leaving a few hot cocoa k-cups in the drawer and before I sealed all openings from inside out. We started with peppermint oil and it does work to an extent, then moved to cat urine using both and I sealed up all openings from inside out (electrical wires and plumbing). That worked. All mice (few) are gone. Of course we no longer leave anything in coach during storage and we still leave cat urine in storage. I will mix up a peppermint with water and use a sprayer in the landing and slide arm wells. If you are heavily infested - requires proffessional rodent cleansing. Using foam sealer (recommend the insect foam), sealed all openings as best underneath as well. They can still get in through slide arms and landing gear. Deterrent is the key.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 08:52 AM   #7

If one of my students summarized every mice, rat, rodent thread with

"Seal every opening with foam and a non rusting metal" they would earn an A.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:23 AM   #8

Pretty sure I don't want to know how you procure cat urine.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Simple - BUY IT. BOBCAT PEE
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edutron View Post
Simple - BUY IT. BOBCAT PEE
Yep.. Amazon has everything.....
Old 02-17-2024, 08:08 PM   #11

Steps to mouse free camping
1. Remove reasons for mice to enter (food, nesting material, places to hide)
2. Create an unwelcoming environment (mouse free spray, mint oil, etc)
3. Most importantly seal your trailer to make entry as difficult as possible. Every crack and crevice.
4. Do not use baits as they will draw them into your trailer.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 01:24 PM   #12

If you have mice, you have access points. You will always have mice. There is no chemical or biological treatment that will cure your problem. The reported remedies are all snake oil. I love when people swear by dryer sheets. Mice love them and chew them up to make their nests. If a mice seeks shelter, nothing will deter them.

Traps are a pita. They only bandaid the problem. Poison is worse. Dead carcasses in out-of-the-way places stink.

Crawl under the trailer and examine every square inch. Fill ALL holes, no matter how small, with Stainless steel wool. Then spray with a sealer. I like FlexSeal. I don't like Great Stuff, it's too porous and doesn't hold up.

Obviously, look at the sides of the trailer as well. Also, don't overlook the roof. The one single time I had mice was when they came down the chimney. A wire cap solved the problem.

You didn't say what year your trailer was. Our 2015 Jayco had zero holes to fill. Our 1964 did need some maintenance.

Some will dispute my comments and say peppermint, or dryer sheets, etc. is the answer. They DO work for some, but those are trailers that don't have any holes in the first place.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:22 PM   #13

Store ours in a pole barn, has mice, can't keep them out. Also did most of the above.
In addition: went to the local Freight store purchased an inexpensive string of LED lights. Ran it under the rig- no problems x 3 years. Rodents stay away from lights.
It adds about $5.00/mo to electric bill, No problems, Very worth it.
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 04:54 PM   #14

Mice

We use Grampa Gus mouse retardant (4x4 Pads), since we started using them, we haven’t seen any. Works great. We have a Jayco Precept 31UL
Ljmk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljmk1 View Post
We use Grampa Gus mouse retardant (4x4 Pads), since we started using them, we havenít seen any. Works great. We have a Jayco Precept 31UL
There is mouse crap on my Grandpa Gus packets...
Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:38 PM   #16

Lots of good answers to your problem. However I disagree with one that suggests that you place peanut butter baited traps in the coach. Noooooo -- don't do that. We completely remove ALL food items. Don't give them a reason to break in. Laying baited traps is like putting out a banquette for them and inviting them in. I have had several RV's and can say that I learned this lesson many years ago. WE have a neighbour at our seasonal camp who complains every spring that he has mice in the traps. I've tried to educate him but alack he does not listen and every spring he has mice in his peanut butter baited traps. If you insist on placing traps then do not bait them but put them where mice will generally run and that is next to a wall. No food source - no reason for them to go in. Simple. Good luck and happy camping. Rick
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 04:35 PM   #17

I agree that no bait inside, and clean the sink and stove area thoroughly. I added my poison baits outside in pet and critter proof T shaped feeding stations. I built some out of 1.5 inch plastic pipe.

I do place sticky traps that fold into little box shapes. So far no mice caught inside but a few spiders and a lot of Chinese lady bugs.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:47 PM   #18

With me and I have caught a lot of mice but what I do is try to catch them before they get in. I lay traps, those kinds that have alligator mouths, it's spring loaded so when to come and get the food well I put poisons in the tray the mouth will clamp down on them.

I of course take everything out and we clean up with bleach so no smell with will be left inside, and by doing it that way you don't have to worry about them coming in messing up your pantry etc.https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOMCAT-Pres...ce=1&gclsrc=ds

I put these by each wheel and front jacks because they can't get in by no other way, I try to bait them before they get in. Over the points of years I have caught my share of mice, but needless to say, I have caught birds, I didn't want those I didn't think that they would be coming underneath my 5th wheel.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:07 AM   #19

Most talk about not leaving food. Certainly should never do that, but my main concern would be bears, not mice.

The MAIN reason mouse enter is to build a nest in a nice place for winter. In Summer, they need a place to have babies.

My buddy has had mice year round in every trailer he ever owned. I keep telling him he needs to "mouse proof" it. He says he does, but never really does. Finally I crawled under his trailer and there were little openings allover the place. Case closed.

I never had a mouse "problem" until I installed vent toppers so I could leave the vents open all Summer. Next time at camp there was crap allover the bathroom. When I looked up there was a beautiful little nest and six cute babies. Heck of a cleanup needed. Now I have wire mesh between the roof and topper.

It can't be over-emphasized. I realize it's hard work and a pita, but crawling under the trailer and fixing the bottom is the only safe answer.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:53 AM   #20

Mice and Rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Common question here. We've had mice in ours. Now, when we store the RV, we remove all food. All of it. Everything. We clean it, like it was a hospital. I set four traps, with peanut butter.

And I've gone around, under, in - everywhere I can see an opening and filled them w/ expanding foam and steel wool.

We pulled the drawers out, pulled some panels off. It's amazing how many holes are in the RV. At night, she's inside w/ a high power floodlight, and I'm outside and under looking for light gaps.

So far, it's been working.
Two things I do with my RV in the storage area. I put peppermint oil into a cup with cotton swabs. They says mice don't like the smell. And I wedge a couple of rat bate boxes in the under frame of the RV outside. So far it seems to be working. But you have to keep them fresh which I do weekly.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote