Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

rattles in fan/ac ductwork

My 2018 28.5 RLTS with the "quiet" air conditioner has the most annoying rattle seeming to come from one side in the RETURN portion of the duct work at the ceiling. I removed the plastic vent cap, banged, reached around inside as far as I could and could find nothing loose, or press on anything to make it stop. Minor problem, but can't stand to hear the thing rattling.(Like loose plastic or fitting) (Fan OR AC mode). Anyone have anything similar? Any way to explore that duct more fully w/o removing unit from the roof?
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:08 AM   #2

Get yourself a borescope. Harbor freight sells them cheap. They also have them that work with your phone that are even cheaper. You will be able to see inside the ducting.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:57 AM   #3

good idea. wonder if it would "show" whats rattling though. Worth a try. Thanks!
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #4

Worth trying. If it's inside the ducting, you should see it. They are a great tool to have around. If you do see it, then you can fix it or at least have proof to show the dealer for them to fix under warranty.

I did a quick search on Google, saw one that works with a smart phone for 15 bucks. So they can be bought dirt cheap. I myself would want a higher quality one than 15 bucks. Lol

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #5

I have a 27.5 and when we were pulling it home we stopped at a park for the night and turned the air on and same thing happed. When we got home I took off the return air cover I saw a piece of styrofoam that was just laying in the duct making all the noise. It is supposed to be there, but glued on its edges as sort of a divider to keep the duct I guess open. There was anoher one on the other side that was still glued.Glued back in place and it’s quiet now
retired mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #6

We had a piece of the rubber roof flapping around in ours. Trim it or glue it. Also make sure it's not the return air baffle itself . Sometimes they don't apply them well.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac/fan rattles, noisy ductwork