Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Exclamation Rear axle tires wearing on the inner edges of both!!!

I have a 2013 Jayco Eagle 31.5 RLST 5th wheel with just 5,082 miles on it. My question to anybody is anyone else having this problem??? I seen on this forum, under recall notices, that the Dexter axles on Whitehawk trailers were having these issues with the Dexter D35 model axle which is 2 3/8" diameter and Jayco does not warranty this but the actual axel manufacturer Dexter does warranty this for 2 years. They are replacing them with D44 axels which are 3" diameter and 4400 lbs each instead of the D35 which is 3500 lbs. each. I immediately crawled under to check the tag on my axles and they are made by Dexter but are D52 model which I'm assuming are 5200 lbs. each. They are doing the exact same thing as the lighter D35 axles are doing which is bending and causing the inner edges of the tires to wear!!! I've scaled the trailer and when it's loaded to head out I'm way under what the max. loaded weight is!!!
supposedly the axels are bending due to tight radius turns and I have a slider fifth wheel mount and have made tight turns but not tight enough that I've had to roll the slider hitch!!! Waiting on Camping World Service Dept. in Draper, Ut. since they told me they have to get all the info. off the tags on the axles and also send in pictures to Dexter to see if they will warranty it??? I am hoping they will upgrade to a larger size axles to correct this problem like they have done on the Jayco Whitehawk trailers. If anyone else has had this problem I'd like to hear from you. Thank you all!!!
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #2

Rhumphers9a:
We went on a 13,000 mile retirement trip this spring/summer to mid-western,pacific coast states,British Columbia, Alberta Canada. When returning from Canada back into Montana we had to replace both rear axle tires with wear on the inner edges of the tires- this was about at the 10,000 mile mark of the trip. The technician who replaced the tires said the axles and bearings were all in good condition. We just have a Jayco Flight 24RKS with a good WDH but the tech said this is not unusual as we had many tight radius turns thru both the US and Canadian Rocky Mountains.
However wrong axle sizes are a common problem so you should go forward with Dexter to get the answer for your larger trailer.

Keep every-one informed on this forum with your feedback.
TT 2011 Jay Flight RKS24 (sold)
TV 2010 Ram Laramie 5.7 Litre Hemi 3.55 gears
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400is
jddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #3

jddave, I have pulled race car trailers 24' & larger all over the country & Canada and carried more weight than I'm carrying with my 34'5" 5th wheel and have never worn the inner edges of the rear or front tires on trailers do to tight radius turns across the country or in the pit areas at the races. Even over 10,000 miles on the tires and never looked like mine. The tires should last 25,000 to 35,000 miles especially a load range D or E. I am hoping Dexter will step up and do the right thing, the rest of the tire looks great even wear, just the inner edges are about gone!!! They do warranty their axles for 2 years what I've read. But thank you for your reply. You might want to check your axles cause your tires should not be worn on the inner edge in just 10,000 miles?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #4

At about 5000 miles I noticed the inside of the rear tires were worn also, Dexter gave me a new axle but I had to re-re the axle and buy new tires. I had a Dexter dealer do the re-re. I could have shipped the axle back to Dexter and they would have tested it, if it was at fault they would pay for re-re and tires, but to ship it across the country was not cheap. I should have gone though my dealer it sounds like jayco may have picked up the hole bill. I have since gone to the NWT and back plus 2 more smaller trips and rear tires look good.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #5

Timber, did you contact Dexter yourself? I have my 5th wheel at Camping World in Draper , Ut. where I purchased it, in for other warranty work and thought Jayco's 2 year warranty would take care of it and they told me they have to take pictures and get numbers off the axles and send to Dexter cause it would be on them to warranty the axles. If you look at the recall notices section of this forum Dexter has been very good at warranty and replacing complete axle assemblies, with springs, brakes and even replacing the worn tires and all they asked for was for you to send them a picture of the axles cut in half, and someone posted that you even get to keep all the old hardware (springs, brakes etc.) and also keep the replaced tires!!! Thank you for your response & I will be posting more information as I get it from Camping World and Dexter!!!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #6

We have a 2011 31.5 RLTS. We had heavy tire wear on the right side of the rear axle only. Jayco replaced the axle because it was bent. I had complained to the dealership several times but wasn't addressed until it went back to the Jayco for another issue. Force the issue while its still under warranty!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #7

I started at my dealer send them pictures, they talked to jayco, jayco said talk to dexter. I talked to dexter and they said I had to have it inspected at one of there dealers, Dealer said yes axle bent from spring out on both sides, could not say how or why, Dexter will replace axle.

I will have to finish this later sorry
Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #8

If I had let the dealer handle all of the arrangements maybe it would not have cost me but I am not sure. I would let your dealer handle it and see what happens.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #9

I have done some checking and my gross trailer weight is I believe 11,900 lbs. the D52 axles under my 5th wheel is rated at 5200 lbs. so that would be only 10,400 gross!!! Dexter does make a D60 which is rated at 6,000 lbs. so total would be 12,000 lbs. and would be just 100 lbs. over what my max. gross weight of 11,900 lbs. So I'm thinking the D60 axle should be the correct axles under my 2013 31.5 Jayco Eagle!!! I am calling Dexter now for more information and see if this will be taken care of!!! Will post more after speaking with them.

Just got off the phone with Dexter, did not speak with anyone since they closed 10 minutes before I called. Hours are 8-5 pm EST. Will try back with them tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

The gross weight on my 338 rlts is 11,000 lbs. and I also have Dexter 5200 lb. axles. Let us know what you find out. Not sure what "bent" axle means, but most trailer axles have a fixed "bow" in them including Dexter axles giving the tires some camber to prevent inside tread wear. A "flat" axle will cause inside tread wear for sure.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #11

I did ask dexters dealer about up grading to 6000 lb axles and he said its the same axle with heavier springs, the tube thickness is the same. So I stayed with the 5200 lb axles, remember that the axles do not hold all the weight of the trailer, its axles plus pin weight. I have weight mine once while on a holiday, I had just emptied the gray and black tanks and had about 1/2 to 2/3 fresh on board and the axle weight was 8800 lbs or 4400 lbs per axle
Old 12-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #12

Rear tires inner edges wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwsmith111 View Post
The gross weight on my 338 rlts is 11,000 lbs. and I also have Dexter 5200 lb. axles. Let us know what you find out. Not sure what "bent" axle means, but most trailer axles have a fixed "bow" in them including Dexter axles giving the tires some camber to prevent inside tread wear. A "flat" axle will cause inside tread wear for sure.
wwsmith111, Thanks for your response, yes I understand the axles are bowed to have the correct camber but I can visually see that both wheels on my rear axle are leaning inward (incorrect camber) which will wear out the inner edges of both rear tires. The gross weight listed on the sticker on my 2013 Jayco 31.5 RLTS Eagle is 11,900 lbs. and that is also listed as the gross weight list in their sales brochure. http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...te_Catalog.pdf, if you go to page 41 of this Dexter axle file you will see that they do have a D60 Leaf Spring axle in the 6 lug beside the one with 8 lug hubs. It's worth the read and gave me insite when I speak with Dexter and my Camping World service department I'm dealing with in a way I will be fully informed so I wont get the run a round!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:14 PM   #13

Unhappy Rear tires inner edges wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I did ask dexters dealer about up grading to 6000 lb axles and he said its the same axle with heavier springs, the tube thickness is the same. So I stayed with the 5200 lb axles, remember that the axles do not hold all the weight of the trailer, its axles plus pin weight. I have weight mine once while on a holiday, I had just emptied the gray and black tanks and had about 1/2 to 2/3 fresh on board and the axle weight was 8800 lbs or 4400 lbs per axle
Timber, the first trip I made with my 5 er', I went directly to the scales before leaving town to check my loaded weight, I only had about 1/3rd fresh water tank, both grey tanks and black tank was empty. I know the unloaded vehicle weight is 9,105 lbs. and with my 2 generators, EU-2000 & EU2000I and 10 gallons of spare gas and all my camping equip. like chairs, tables, b.b.q, dog kennels and dogs, we weighed in at roughly around 9,450 lbs (can't tell you exactly due to may scales slip receipt is in my 5 er' at Camping World service dept.) and I was surprised at that weight loaded and would have thought it would have been higher closer to the max. weight?
I had noticed both rear axle wheels seemed visually to have been leaning inward at the the top of each wheel, had mentioned it to the salesman when I purchased it and he said it was just cause the way it was backed into its location??? But looking underneath you can visually see the rear axle doesn't seem to have as much crown bowed into it as the front axle and that effect the camber which too little will cause them to lean inward and lead to inner tire wear!!! You have to realize that while traveling as the trailer goes over bumps and driveways etc. that weight is magnified as it bounces on the springs. So I don't know if whoever you spoke with at Dexter just didn't want to warranty you axle or not but would be thinking that the D52 axle with a 5,200 lbs and a D60 axle with a 6,000 rating would be of a thicker wall 3" axel? Just know that my rear tires are worn really bad for just 5,082 miles and want to get this warrantied!!!:
Old 12-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #14

From what I have seen this is a common problem . I think most people don't put enough miles on to ever know. They usually replace them from weather check or age. I had a jayco designer that the left rear tire would wear on the inside you would notice after about 8,000 miles . A friend had all four wear on his Sunny brook after about 4,000 it wasn't under warrantee so he took it to a garage that had a way to straighten and re align the axles . On his second year and seems to have solved his problem . Makes you wonder if their isn't a quality control issue at dexter or where they install the axle to the frame ?
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton4971 View Post
From what I have seen this is a common problem . I think most people don't put enough miles on to ever know. They usually replace them from weather check or age. I had a jayco designer that the left rear tire would wear on the inside you would notice after about 8,000 miles . A friend had all four wear on his Sunny brook after about 4,000 it wasn't under warrantee so he took it to a garage that had a way to straighten and re align the axles . On his second year and seems to have solved his problem . Makes you wonder if their isn't a quality control issue at dexter or where they install the axle to the frame ?
Clayton4971- I still haven't got to call and speak with Dexter, my wife is getting ready to have a surgery and I have gathered all the info I need to give Dexter except for the casting number on the swivel between the front and rear springs. Hoping to get it real soon so I can call them and have everything I need to give them over the phone then just send them the pictures they will request I imagine of the tire wear and possible the axle and I can give them one of visually looking at the front and rear wheels and can notice the rear wheels are both tilted inward at the top!!! I understand that part of the GVWR is on the tow vehicle but if it is fully loaded to almost the max GVWR which is 11,900 lbs and the D52 axles rated at 5,200 lbs. times 2 = 10,400, they would be 1,500 lbs. less than GVWR. I would think they would use the D60 6,000 lbs axles so under and extreme rough road or speed bumps they would be atleast 100 lbs. over the GVWR. Another posted on here that they spoke not to Dexter but a Dexter dealer about upgrading to the D60 and they told him the axle was the same diameter tubing wall thickness that they just add more leaf springs??? I need to verify that when I speak to Dexter and anyway do not feel that they should be bending in just as little as 5,082 miles that I've put on it since Nov. 2013!!! I had noticed it when I bought it by the wheels tilted inward in the rear axle and believed the salesman who sad it was just from they way they jack knifed it into place, but after noticing the bad wear on the inner edges of both rear tires that this could be very dangerous to myself and family or anyone else if I had lost one or two tires while driving down the road!!! Thank you for you post on this issue.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #16

The lady that I talked to at Dexter told me they supply the axles to Jayco and its Jayco who decides what axle for each trailer and installs them themselves.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #17

Rear tires inner edges wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
The lady that I talked to at Dexter told me they supply the axles to Jayco and its Jayco who decides what axle for each trailer and installs them themselves.
Timber- I spoke with the Camping World service adviser yesterday afternoon and he verified that Dexter did say that they will warranty the rear axle and will be shipped out and will be at my CW service department within 1-2 weeks but the service adviser told me they will have to ship the bad axle back to them for Dexter to test it and if it was bad that they would then replace my two rear axle tires!!! Hopefully it was just a quality control issue and is not within their specs. so the new D52 will not be a problem like the one you had r&r'd on yours, and they will replace my tires also. But seems to me that the cost to ship the axle assembly back to Indiana would be more cost to them than to just replace 2 tires??? I still plan on giving them a call next week when I get time!!!
Thanks for you information that you provided for me & the rest on this forum that has, it is an excellent resource for learning and trying to solve issues! Just excited to get it corrected and be able to get back out on the road with it and enjoy R.V.ing!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:17 AM   #18

Drove by the CW dealership doing he warranty work at their service dept. on my 2013 Eagle 31.5 RLTS 5th wheel and happy to say that Dexter stepped up and warrantied my rear axle which came in complete with springs, brakes and two new tires also!!! Shouldn't be long now till I can get it back home and get it covered for the winter, but will be ready to go come spring time!!!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:33 AM   #19

If you can have them check the seals on the hubs. Dexter has had some issues of late with the factory pumping too much grease in them and blowing the rear seal. You can't tell until you pull the brake drum off. AL-CO has also had this issue.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:47 AM   #20

I am glad it all worked out well for you.