Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #1

rear camera

have a 2017 Eagle 321RSTS, in water valve compartment there is a switch that says rear view camera. When I purchased it a few weeks ago I didn't get any remotes for tv's or manuals. I downloaded the 199 page manual and don't see where the wires would be for the camera, but says if I have one I should be able to see behind on the tv. Anyone else know where the camera goes?
Old railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:02 AM   #2

The camera goes on the rear of the trailer near the top marker lights. You should have a cigarette outlet in the master to plug the monitor into. With the switch on to power the camera, and monitor plugged in, you can view the back of the coach while inside.

When you’re hitched the camera gets power from the 7 pin cord and you plug monitor into the TV.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #3

If the switch is powered off there is no power to the camera. When in storage in our shed I power it off. Hook up truck and monitor and no image...Oops forgot switch! When in campground you can turn it off. One less thing drawing off the converter and pedestal. It doesn't draw much being 12 volt dc. Some campgrds you have to pay for your electricity.

YMMV
RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

don't have a camera and don't see anywhere to attach it near those lights
Old railroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old railroader View Post
don't have a camera and don't see anywhere to attach it near those lights
You would add a camera set. The camera and display monitor. Camera mount would be screwed to the wall. Power leads are attached to one of the ICC lights.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #6

The wiring is run up behind beside the centre marker light. Jayco can tell you the wire color. I believe if you gently pull centre light out with wiring out the hole it is taped or zip tied to it. Be careful they use scotch connectors that just fit thru light hole. Camera uses same ground as light I believe. The mounting point is directly below the light just above jayco decal. Wire feeds thru grommet on passenger side of centre marker light. Had issues with our camera dropping out signal. ASA Electronics sent me a 10 foot cable to move antenna closer to truck. I mounted antenna on drivers side of A/C cover. It works better but still intermittently drops out for a couple seconds. I like the no blind spot behind trailer for lane changes and for backing up anywhere. I mounted monitor right behind rearview mirror so it is still natural to glance at it. Tipped rearview mirror down as it helps support monitor mount.

RoadrunnerII Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191221_135947.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	55396

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #7

Are you lucky. The rest of us have to use our running lights to get the camera working. The rear view camera mount is high in the center of the back exterior of the RV. The wires should be behind it or a cover plate.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:51 PM   #8

Hi! We just purchased our first 5th wheel. 2020 Jayco Pinnacle 35'. We never had a back up camera on our other travel trailers. what brand of camera system can you use with the
prewired for back up camera? Do you need to use the Furrion camera's or can you use other systems, we would need it to be wireless for the truck, or is that possible ?
AbbottKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:14 AM   #9

We asked for a back-up camera and the dealer installed a Furrion wireless unit. Works fine. Our runs off the running light circuit so I have to remember to turn the headlights on manually, not on automatic, in order to get the camera on. Drove me crazy the first time, wondering why I could not get the camera to work after driving home from the dealer.

Furrion makes a back-up-only monitor that is not intended for full-time monitoring, so don't get that one. I have ours adjusted so that when a vehicle behind us drifts back out of the picture, then it is a safe distance and OK to change lanes.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We asked for a back-up camera and the dealer installed a Furrion wireless unit. Works fine. Our runs off the running light circuit so I have to remember to turn the headlights on manually, not on automatic, in order to get the camera on. Drove me crazy the first time, wondering why I could not get the camera to work after driving home from the dealer. Furrion makes a back-up-only monitor that is not intended for full-time monitoring, so don't get that one. I have ours adjusted so that when a vehicle behind us drifts back out of the picture, then it is a safe distance and OK to change lanes.
Angus, that's why I had a power switch for the camera installed in the bedroom where there is the wiring to do so. Don't need my headlights on to activate the camera. But for safety purposes I usually have my daytime running lights on anyway. Here are the instructions on installing the power switch. I can't seem to find those instructions. I know I've posted it in other threads.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #11

Thanks Al! I'm with you in that I like to have the headlights on in daytime as well. I would not be without a camera back there. Really helps in traffic.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Thanks Al! I'm with you in that I like to have the headlights on in daytime as well. I would not be without a camera back there. Really helps in traffic.
Angus
Found the instructions for the "Alternate Installation" where the camera can be powered on/off from inside the coach.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Camera Instructions.pdf (578.5 KB, 12 views)
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote