Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #1

Rear hitch?

I have a 2012 23.5 Eagle HT that came with a factory installed 1 1/4" rear hitch, are these strong enough to carry two bikes? What about bike racks any suggestions. Thanks.
teevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

Factory installed 1 1/4"? On a 2012?

Didn't think Jayco offered rear receivers till 2014 and beyond, maybe it was different on the HT 5er products.

Can't say if the receiver is strong enough, a call to Jayco would confirm that. Personally I think you are going to have a hard time finding 1 1/4" receiver mounted bike rack built and rated to be used on the rear of a towable. All the ones I have found are 2" and even then only a small number are rated for use on an RV.

Swagman seems to have to most RV rated receiver mounted bike racks.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Factory installed 1 1/4"? On a 2012?

Didn't think Jayco offered rear receivers till 2014 and beyond, maybe it was different on the HT 5er products.

Can't say if the receiver is strong enough, a call to Jayco would confirm that. Personally I think you are going to have a hard time finding 1 1/4" receiver mounted bike rack built and rated to be used on the rear of a towable. All the ones I have found are 2" and even then only a small number are rated for use on an RV.

Swagman seems to have to most RV rated receiver mounted bike racks.
Yes its a factory installed hitch.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #4

Excellent, then Jayco can provide its weight rating and you will be sure.

It's interesting however, because in 2012 I really wanted that and they told me that they didn't offer it, and if I added one myself it could affect my warranty. They offered a bike/cargo tray instead, which I didn't like and got rid of. I then had a receiver fabricated and welded to the frame which has worked great for several years now. I did take a look at an old 2012 brochure and there is not mention of an optional receiver in either of the Eagle lines, just the bike/cargo tray. Would not be the first time that Jayco's own documentation was wrong.

Are the original owner? If not, are you certain it wasn't someone like me who had it fabricated and added?
Old 03-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Excellent, then Jayco can provide its weight rating and you will be sure.

It's interesting however, because in 2012 I really wanted that and they told me that they didn't offer it, and if I added one myself it could affect my warranty. They offered a bike/cargo tray instead, which I didn't like and got rid of. I then had a receiver fabricated and welded to the frame which has worked great for several years now. I did take a look at an old 2012 brochure and there is not mention of an optional receiver in either of the Eagle lines, just the bike/cargo tray. Would not be the first time that Jayco's own documentation was wrong.

Are the original owner? If not, are you certain it wasn't someone like me who had it fabricated and added?
Yes original owner, I never actually ordered it just came that way. If you check the link there is a d/l option for the manual and they mention the hitch in section 4-4.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT | Jayco, Inc.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #6

That certainly removes any doubt I had -- clearly it says you can use it for cargo or bike racks just don't exceed the 300# limit. That would certainly be sufficient for a rack and a couple bikes. Jayco is so conservative I would certainly think the receiver it strong enough if they publish it is.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #7

I also have a 2012 26.5 RLS and the Jayco manual said adding a hitch would void the warranty. Went ahead and did it anyway and have towed our 19' Crestliner behind the FW probably 2,000 miles overall with no problems. Of course, I had it professionally installed along with the 7-pin plug for about $500 when we first got the FW. I would also think you might have a little problem finding a bike rack with a 1 1/4" insert, but good luck. As for the 300 pounds, is the hitch only attached to the bumper or is it also attached, somehow or other, to the frame? If only to the bumper, I wonder about the dynamic force on the hitch when the bikes start bouncing up and down. Of course, I have no idea about this but others on this and other sites have noted that when talking about putting a bike rack on the back of the trailer.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post
I have a 2012 23.5 Eagle HT that came with a factory installed 1 1/4" rear hitch, are these strong enough to carry two bikes? What about bike racks any suggestions. Thanks.
teevman,

We use a Swagman XC 2-Bike Rack on our factory installed hitch.

With this type of bike rack, where the bikes site on tire holders, there isn't the torque forces applied to the hitch and mounting area that there is with the type of bike racks where the bikes are hanging from their cross bars.

We've had excellent luck with this bike rack.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
teevman,

We use a Swagman XC 2-Bike Rack on our factory installed hitch.

With this type of bike rack, where the bikes site on tire holders, there isn't the torque forces applied to the hitch and mounting area that there is with the type of bike racks where the bikes are hanging from their cross bars.

We've had excellent luck with this bike rack.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that. So is your factory hitch the 1 1/4"? I have no reservations about the hitch itself as it is attached to the frame I guess it was more the 1 1/4" bike rack I was concerned about.
Old 03-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevman View Post
Thanks for that. So is your factory hitch the 1 1/4"? I have no reservations about the hitch itself as it is attached to the frame I guess it was more the 1 1/4" bike rack I was concerned about.
teevman,

Sorry, I believe our hitch is a 2" receiver, not a 1 1/4" receiver.

Though the Swagman will still be good with the 1 1/4" receiver.
It fits both 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" (Class I and II) and 2" x 2" trailer hitches.

eTrailer web page provides a lot of good pictures of the bike rack including a close up of the part that goes into the receiver. From this picture you can see how it's adjusted to fit 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" and 2" x 2" trailer hitches.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
teevman,

Sorry, I believe our hitch is a 2" receiver, not a 1 1/4" receiver.

Though the Swagman will still be good with the 1 1/4" receiver.
It fits both 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" (Class I and II) and 2" x 2" trailer hitches.

eTrailer web page provides a lot of good pictures of the bike rack including a close up of the part that goes into the receiver. From this picture you can see how it's adjusted to fit 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" and 2" x 2" trailer hitches.
I'm thinking that with our 5th wheel being only 23.5' might work in it's favor as well with less bounce in the rear end.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #12

1 1/4" hitches are not the best for hitch accessories. My wife had an Escape with an 1 1/4' hitch and we bought a hitch-mounted bike carrier for it. They were very unstable and moved around a lot. It started wearing on the hitch and carrier as well. Just doesn't have enough UMF to do the job. I guess it would work better if you use straps or tie downs from the front and back tires of the bikes to the vehicle.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:43 AM   #13

Stop the movement

I have found that all hitch accessories bounce and create stress on the receiver. I have installed this Click image for larger version

Name:	RM-061_500.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	22341

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Acces...er/RM-061.html

it works great and almost all the bounce is gone.
metromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #14

Quote:
.....Would not be the first time that Jayco's own documentation was wrong.

How true that is. I'm still trying to locate the 85 gallon water heater that Jayco says mine is equipped with.

2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Aisin CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 371FLFS
JaycoAl is offline   Reply With Quote