Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #1

rear suspension help

I am a first time owner of a 2012 Pinnacle KPTS. Bought in May and has driven about 30 miles. I have a 2011 F250 short bed KR that pulled great but is a tad light on rear. I have a friend who suggested that i add a Timbren bushing on each side for extra support ( it appears to have helped) I have another friend whoadded a Firestone air ride for each side. Trying to decide which. any feedback would be appreciative.
gousc27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #2

Airbags are active, you adjust to fit your load so you can "dial in" the perfect ride. They are also more prone to failure and cost more money.

Timbrens are passive and engage when under load but aren't adjustable. Cheap and most likely will last for ever without any maintenance.

Fords are notorious for rear squat. I have used timbrens in the past and was satisfied with the results. Easy install and not too hard on the wallet. I can't tell for sure but if you are already using Timbrens and your ride is ok why not just stick with it.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:45 PM   #3

I had Timbrens on my F250 and it worked great. But when I purchased the Pinnacle I decided to go with a DRW truck.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #4

I am a fan of StableLoads, I have run them on the past 3 trucks, they are inexpensive and you can put them on your truck in your dirveway, no jacked up or even take the wheels off (albeit easier if you take off the wheels).

The other item I run is an increased diameter sway bar. Hellwig Big Wig, add to those 2, a set of adjustable shocks, I run Rancho RS 9000 XL. This is how I outfit my trucks and have been doing so for 20 years.

I have run airbags and would not hesitate to run them again in the right application. They offer a better ride with a 5th in that they absorb sudden and harsh inputs that get transferred from the tabernacle to the 5th. That said my prime concern is performance and safety first. I am still considering adding an air bag to my truck to give the 5th a better ride, not the truck.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #5

Really happy with the Firestone Airbags I have on my 2500. I like that they are adjustable. They weren't expensive in my opinion and install was not difficult. Have nothing negative I can say about them...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	Timbren.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	26194

I have a set of Timbrens I just pulled off my 2014 F150. I had them on just for the summer and like them alot compared to stock but I decided to go with airbags. They are in excellent condition minus some smell superficial scratches. If you want them, I can let them go for $140 plus shipping (Flat Rate $18.75). They are about $215 brand new

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote